LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    monmouth county
    Posts
    96

    Flagler College, Good Surf Schools

    *sorry for a repost if this thread has already been posted, I searched, but found nothing*

    So, I am applying for colleges now for the fall semester. I did relatively well on my SATs and did decent at my first semester at community college. I am in my second semester at community college, but going crazy living back at home with my parents and need to get out of Jersey. Trying to change things up a bit.

    I am wondering if any of you guys are familiar with Flagler College. I am pretty much set on going there. I visited and it seemed like an awesome time. I do not know anyone there though and would like to know some more about it. If any of you guys went to Flagler College and can let me in on some knowledge I should know before committing, let me know!

    Also, I am trying to stay on the East Coast, anyone know anywhere else? I know Monmouth (live fifteen minutes away), UNC Wilmington, but that is pretty much it. Thanks guys.

  2. #2
    I didn't go to Flagler, but I do spend lots of time in St. Augustine. You're talking about that school right?

  3. #3
    University of Delaware has a two year program on a campus in leers for marine biology and there's coastal Carolina in sc, there's a good school on Virginia beach I forget what it's called but it's good for marine biology too. There's also university of Miami which Idt has very consistent swell. I'm also looking into east coast colleges so I can surf I like uncw

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfin_nj View Post
    University of Delaware has a two year program on a campus in leers for marine biology and there's coastal Carolina in sc, there's a good school on Virginia beach I forget what it's called but it's good for marine biology too. There's also university of Miami which Idt has very consistent swell. I'm also looking into east coast colleges so I can surf I like uncw
    There are no four year colleges with marine biology in Virginia Beach. There is Old Dominion University in Norfolk, but it is more known for Oceanography.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    VA Beach
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by Losttsol View Post
    There are no four year colleges with marine biology in Virginia Beach. There is Old Dominion University in Norfolk, but it is more known for Oceanography.
    If I may elaborate.
    ODU is a state school, offering a Biology degree (BS) with a concentration in Marine Biology. It also offers an Ocean & Earth Science degree (BS) with concentrations in Biological Oceanography and Chemical Oceanography. It has its own research vessel and works closely with NOAA. The school also has a sailing facility and sailing team. Unfortunately, the water is very polluted. Several undergrad and graduate Business degrees/concentrations are also offered. My sister-in-law graduated from ODU in the 80s, and my son is in his second year there - a Business major.
    But if we did not live in the area (VA Beach), I don't think I'd recommend it. This coming from a parent. The school itself is good, but I certainly would not pay out of state tuition. The immediate surrounding area is not pleasant with a fair amount of crime - mostly involving locals (boyz in the hood) preying on college students: shootings, armed robberies, home and car burglaries. My son and his friends were robbed at gunpoint near campus. Student home burglaries increase during Thanksgiving and X-mas breaks when the students are away. Cops there seem to concentrate more on the college kids (underage drinking and partying) than dealing with the local thugs.

    Virginia Wesleyan College in VA Beach is a Methodist private school. It offers BA and BS degrees in Biology with a Minor in Marine Science, as well as BA and BS degrees in Earth and Environmental Science. I believe one of the Forum members attends Wesleyan and could tell you more.
    Last edited by DosXX; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfin_nj View Post
    University of Delaware has a two year program on a campus in leers for marine biology and there's coastal Carolina in sc, there's a good school on Virginia beach I forget what it's called but it's good for marine biology too. There's also university of Miami which Idt has very consistent swell. I'm also looking into east coast colleges so I can surf I like uncw
    I'm a UD alum. I believe the marine biology program is a graduate program only. You stay on site in Lewes, I think right on the beach. But I wouldn't recommend moving to DE for the surf right now though. I just moved away from that area and in the last few years watched all but one local surf spot get dredged into extinction.

    Also, my cousin went to Flagler and he had a few friends that were very good surfers there. So it might be the ticket. It's a nice part of Florida.
    Last edited by mattybrews; Jan 30, 2014 at 02:03 PM.

  7. #7
    For Florida, Flagler or UNF(in Jax) are two of your best options as far as consistency and being within 10-15 minutes from the surf. N Fl is relatively exposed and gets fairly consistent swells during the Fall/Winter/Spring seasons. Summer can be pretty bad but hurricanes are the exception there. St Augustine beach near the pier and the state park north of there can be really good when it gets dredged every few years.

  8. #8
    c of c. Surf is not that consistent but gets pretty fun....but the women...oh my

  9. I went to Flagler. Had a great time, St. Augustine is a great place to be. School was good, upon graduating I realized I wasn't that into my major.(Business Admin) Flagler is considered a Liberal arts school, so they don't offer a ton in the way of major diversity. Don't stuck in a major you may not use because you like the area so much, thats what I did.

    If I had to do it over again, I probably would have stopped going to the dunes cracker, the gator, hatties and focused on my future and utilized the schools resources rather than being wasted every night.

    The school is small, the locals are cool, its easy to meet people.

    Move onto the island after your freshman year, waves arent the best, but you can ride a bike everywhere and the beaches are giant and spread out.

    Overall, I'd say give it a shot, dont get caught up in the awesomeness of the town, it will suck you in. Good luck

    oh and kids from new jersey make up about 90% of the undergrads

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    monmouth county
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by surfingwasteland View Post
    I went to Flagler. Had a great time, St. Augustine is a great place to be. School was good, upon graduating I realized I wasn't that into my major.(Business Admin) Flagler is considered a Liberal arts school, so they don't offer a ton in the way of major diversity. Don't stuck in a major you may not use because you like the area so much, thats what I did.

    If I had to do it over again, I probably would have stopped going to the dunes cracker, the gator, hatties and focused on my future and utilized the schools resources rather than being wasted every night.

    The school is small, the locals are cool, its easy to meet people.

    Move onto the island after your freshman year, waves arent the best, but you can ride a bike everywhere and the beaches are giant and spread out.

    Overall, I'd say give it a shot, dont get caught up in the awesomeness of the town, it will suck you in. Good luck

    oh and kids from new jersey make up about 90% of the undergrads
    You described this place awesomely. I am completely excited about it now haha. I am flying down in March, I am assuming those places are solid bars to hit up in downtown? I can't wait to check it out!