LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21
    As far as jobs around Flager/St.Augustine the most prevalent would probably be in the tourism field. Hotel, restaurant, gift shps, surf shops etc... That area really is a tourist hot spot. There's plenty of other types of jobs but like I said tourism is the hit in that town/area.


    Ridecarr.... if you are thinking about Biz management I would seriously look into Stetson University. (little Harvard)

    Also UCF is a good school for business. If you are on a tight budget Daytona State College also has a pretty good business school. In fact they have a whole separate program that deals with just small business and is open to anyone and everyone. You don't even have to be enrolled in the school to attend. Its called the "Small business development center".

    http://sbdcdaytona.com/

    Actually a pretty good program, I attended myself.

    Sorry to digress...

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Monmouth University. Jerz barrells and they have a dorm that's basically a beach resort.
    If you are talking about the pier villiage apartments, they arent dorms and cost a freakin arm and a leg to live in

  3. #23
    I never thought I'd ever wear the hood and gloves again here, but it looks like that day will be today.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by rideacarr View Post
    thanks for all the responses gents! I really don't know what I want to do. I recently got out of the Marine Corps, so I am a bit clueless on what I want to be as a civilian. I am set on Business Management now, but realistically I still have no idea.

    Right now my two biggest concerns are catching waves and catching girls haha. I dated a girl my time in the Marines, so I am stoked to go to a college single. I heard the girls at Flagler are insane.
    Waves and girls? UNCW fits that mold pretty darn well.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    near da beach
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by banman View Post
    Waves and girls? UNCW fits that mold pretty darn well.
    There are waves in southern NC?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,214
    If I were to go back to school i'd go to Flagler and surf my ass off anywhere from Jax to NSB, it's all within striking distance

  7. #27
    I spent my first year of college at Flagler back in '93. I chose it to be close to the waves, and in spring and fall, they were pretty sweet. About 15 minutes into orientation, I felt like I'd made a bad decision. Things might have changed, but it was an EXTREMELY conservative school back in the day. All sorts of hardcore fundamentalist religious nuts (even back before that was mainstream), and just an overall vibe that made me feel like I was in the town from Children of the Corn. There were more men than women, and ABSOLUTELY no women were allowed in the men's dorm and vice versa. Penalties for drinking were very strict, (zero tolerance, expulsion), they didn't even allow refrigerators in the dorm rooms. I ended up transferring to FSU, which was close to 3 hours away from the ocean, but my overall college experience was wonderful and wide open highways and little to no traffic made bi-weekly surf trips a pretty easy reality. Surfing is a huge part of my life, and I hope it always will be, but I would make sure you're making the best decision because it's one you'll live with for a long time.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    herd of cats, usa
    Posts
    170
    UNC-Wilmington is dopeeeee kiddd.

    It pains me to say this because i know people will read it and do it. URI is a sick place to go to school if youre a surfer. The off-campus housing is beach houses. its ridiculous. you're here for fall, winter and spring---the only times we actually get swell and you will have a great time. tons of livestock (ladies) and some of the best parties i've been to were down in the gansett area. do it son. just dont be a doosh about it. we all know who the out of state URI kids are and we hate you. live it up, party, debaucherize but dont shove it in our faces.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    VA Beach
    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Losttsol View Post
    There are no four year colleges with marine biology in Virginia Beach. There is Old Dominion University in Norfolk, but it is more known for Oceanography.
    If I may elaborate.
    ODU is a state school, offering a Biology degree (BS) with a concentration in Marine Biology. It also offers an Ocean & Earth Science degree (BS) with concentrations in Biological Oceanography and Chemical Oceanography. It has its own research vessel and works closely with NOAA. The school also has a sailing facility and sailing team. Unfortunately, the water is very polluted. Several undergrad and graduate Business degrees/concentrations are also offered. My sister-in-law graduated from ODU in the 80s, and my son is in his second year there - a Business major.
    But if we did not live in the area (VA Beach), I don't think I'd recommend it. This coming from a parent. The school itself is good, but I certainly would not pay out of state tuition. The immediate surrounding area is not pleasant with a fair amount of crime - mostly involving locals (boyz in the hood) preying on college students: shootings, armed robberies, home and car burglaries. My son and his friends were robbed at gunpoint near campus. Student home burglaries increase during Thanksgiving and X-mas breaks when the students are away. Cops there seem to concentrate more on the college kids (underage drinking and partying) than dealing with the local thugs.

    Virginia Wesleyan College in VA Beach is a Methodist private school. It offers BA and BS degrees in Biology with a Minor in Marine Science, as well as BA and BS degrees in Earth and Environmental Science. I believe one of the Forum members attends Wesleyan and could tell you more.
    Last edited by DosXX; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by misfit27 View Post
    I spent my first year of college at Flagler back in '93. I chose it to be close to the waves, and in spring and fall, they were pretty sweet. About 15 minutes into orientation, I felt like I'd made a bad decision. Things might have changed, but it was an EXTREMELY conservative school back in the day. All sorts of hardcore fundamentalist religious nuts (even back before that was mainstream), and just an overall vibe that made me feel like I was in the town from Children of the Corn. There were more men than women, and ABSOLUTELY no women were allowed in the men's dorm and vice versa. Penalties for drinking were very strict, (zero tolerance, expulsion), they didn't even allow refrigerators in the dorm rooms. I ended up transferring to FSU, which was close to 3 hours away from the ocean, but my overall college experience was wonderful and wide open highways and little to no traffic made bi-weekly surf trips a pretty easy reality. Surfing is a huge part of my life, and I hope it always will be, but I would make sure you're making the best decision because it's one you'll live with for a long time.
    Much of the school is still pretty conservative. I never had a problem other then getting cornered at my truck by the god squad. Regardless of it's conservative views (no girls in dorms, no drinking on campus, etc) there is still a great experience to be had. There were drink specials every night except sundays, i mean like quarter beers and free drinks, house parties are awesome, cops are lenient, you only wear a wetsuit for a few months, there is opportunity to see other sweet towns, and you can get an education while you at it.

    There is also an amphitheater that brings in some big names in the summer months. I only went home one summer my entire stay there, the place is great.

    Good skateparks, fishing, and even some ghetto if that tickles your fancy.

    Quote Originally Posted by cackedinri View Post
    It pains me to say this because i know people will read it and do it. URI is a sick place to go to school if youre a surfer. The off-campus housing is beach houses. its ridiculous. you're here for fall, winter and spring---the only times we actually get swell and you will have a great time. tons of livestock (ladies) and some of the best parties i've been to were down in the gansett area. do it son. just dont be a doosh about it. we all know who the out of state URI kids are and we hate you. live it up, party, debaucherize but dont shove it in our faces.
    agreed. There is alot of hurt in that truth haha