LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ding repair - what would you do?

What would you do with this ding on the rail? It's 1"x1/2" and has compressed roughly 1/4" in a spot.

Would you:
    A- cut away fiberglass, q-cell and reglass?
    B- lift fiberglass, backfill, and glass patch over?
    C- fill will epoxy and glass patch over?

image.jpg

1) sand lightly with 220 grit sandpaper
    2) blow clean with *light* compressed air or reasonable facsimile (too much air can cause delamination)
    3) set board on rail and use duct tape to build a small "cup" around area to be fixed; make sure "cup" is well sealed
    4) pour properly-catalyzed resin into "cup" until ding is covered by 1/8" of resin; let dry
    5) use metal file or 60 grit sandpaper to remove excess dried resin, leaving about 1/16" or less
    6) use 220, then 400 to smooth repaired area until level with rail
    7) finish off and buff with wet-n-dry sandpaper

A--kidrock's steps would work--just drop a glass patch/hot coat after his step 7

another approach would be to step away from the 1960's technology.

The Q Cell/Glass option is probably the most professional, but Kidrock's suggestion to just fill it with resin would work fine. And unless you are a WCT surfer, you won't feel the weight difference caused by the 1/4 ounce of resin you put in the rail.

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    another approach would be to step away from the 1960's technology.
    This is a great point in terms of materials, but even modern fabrics ding, crease, etc. case in point, I think that Coils are some of the most innovative using modern fabric and techniques in glassing, but my buddy who has a wider wider board has not only had a number dings but also has an area delamming...but baddy I still think the point is valid.

To keep this on track though...I still suggest Choice A...and recommend UV resin as a tech upgrade as well as S-glass ;-)

Thumbs down board technology

to get to my stage of cynicism i had to break 3 'LOST' boards in a row. the last one was
    the closest thing to an epiphany i've ever hadů.

D- Put a sticker over it.

Where on the rail is the ding and did it happen in the water?
    I'd go the q-cell route because I could inspect the foam and clean out the debris.

Quote Originally Posted by fins369 View Post
    The Q Cell/Glass option is probably the most professional, but Kidrock's suggestion to just fill it with resin would work fine. And unless you are a WCT surfer, you won't feel the weight difference caused by the 1/4 ounce of resin you put in the rail.
    Option 'A,' all the way. Unless it's a total POS/popout, it deserves your attention and proper care. You won't feel the weight; true. But if I had to look at a half-as*ed ding repair every time I had that board out...

I attempt to repair my boards as best as I can. My first board is from 93 (way before I started surfing), but it's made by an area shaper who's still making boards. Just doesn't seem right to fill it with resin. Kind of like painting over good woodwork... I just don't feel right doing it.

Images
    don't go crazy with it... sometimes repairs are stronger if you leave the old glass intact... that is if the old glass is still attached to the foam underneath. and its only a 1/4 deep...

That being said... I would go for C. Use resin to fill it- or you could even mix a little qcell to fill overtop of the fiberglass. (sand it well first) then overlap with new fiberglass. sand. then a final coat of resin with a paint brush. sand 200, 400 and 600 grit wetsand. then if you want the same finish- get 3M rubbing compound (found next to fiberglass and bondo in an autoparts start) and buff it back to new.

Next time- surf Belmar, where dings never happen.

#noDingsInBelmar