LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surftech boards

there are definitely pros and cons to tuflite boards. They look great and are ultra light (too light, imo)...but they don't hold wax worth a damn and are extremely stiff to the point where turns have to be forced. I also found them slow...but I'm a speed freak. The stiffness may not matter on the size board you're considering, but problem then becomes the hardness of tuflite glass...if a TL board that size hits you in the head, you're probably going to need stitches.

Tried a surftech a long time ago and hated it.

Durability is the name of the game with the ST--know a friend who used to travel with one...threw it in a day bag at the airport and never had an issue. If you want a board that will last either glass with a few layers of 6oz s-glass or get a ST.

I bought one when they first came out, but sold it shortly thereafter. As it was just a bit too big...at this point seems like they're trying to adjust the "chatter" issue with the upgraded tech--I hear the TL2s "feel" more like a fiberglass board.

My feet are like frigg'n cinder blocks...poly boards don't hold up too well...
    lets see...In last 4 years I've had one snap, one partial buckle, and one so dug out on the deck it hurts to paddle... and all of the boards somewhere around the year old mark. Combine that with two more partial buckles from travel and a snapped epoxy...I am the icy hand of death for surfboards.
    If its a board I ride a lot, RNF or sub scorcher, its plastic for me (and I can put hoof dents in 'em too). But I haven't sworn off poly/ epoxy for the stuff I ride less frequently (mostly local shapes like retro quad, mini, LB, traveler, etc.). Not to repeat what's already been said but there are cons (don't ride the same as poly) and pros (always throw one in the bag with the traveler...no matter what happens one of your boards will arrive in tact)

Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
    Ive got a 6'6" surftech. Its been the only board I own for about 5 years. No dents or dings but can testify that it will lay you out if it hits you.

I think they are plastic popped out of a machine but then I like a board that a human being makes using his mind, hands, eyes, heart, body and soul.

Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    I think they are plastic popped out of a machine but then I like a board that a human being makes using his mind, hands, eyes, heart, body and soul.

couldn't have said it better, beachbreak.

surftech=soulless chinese garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipsmacker View Post
    Ive got a 6'6" surftech. Its been the only board I own for about 5 years. No dents or dings but can testify that it will lay you out if it hits you.
    This for sure. I had a 9'4 Wingnut noserider, and it hit me in the head one time and i was out. Only a second or two, so no drowning, but i went straight in thats for sure.

Other than that i loved that board. It lasted forever. Even survived a flight off the roof of my car (on the highway, not chill) it needed repairs but it worked fine again after.

I've tried tuf-lite (although my little surf crew has come accustomed to calling them turd-lites) shortboards and felt they were much to stiff and lightweight that they couldn't handle any conditions but perfect, glassy surf.

And true they are plastic with no soul.

The "no brand" surftechs used to be Randy French shapes. Dont know if that holds true to this day.

I have a 6'5" Stretch Quad that is a surftech. It's one of the best boards I've ever had. I wasn't going to buy it because I didn't want a chinese POS. But I got a good deal on it used and I love this board.

That being said, I have ridden other surftechs that completely sucked. You have to pay attention to the shape as well.
    Last edited by Inland; Feb 2, 2014 at 07:03 PM.