LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surftech boards

Couple of thoughts on this.

No need for a beginner to spend money on a name brand fiberglass shape, or go to a local shaper for their local knowledge/expertise. Beginners just need something that will float them and make learning easy.

With that said, buying a pop-out plastic is not the way to go. Pumping money into the wrong part of the surf industry, IMO.

And instead of buying something that is indestructible that can fly off the roof of a car on the highway and not be damaged, how about just learning how to take care of your board and investment? And when the fiberglass board does ding, learn how to fix it. It's part of being a surfer.

My recommendation is go get a WRV, Kechele, or other east coast brand fun board in the 7'6" range. It will float you on the small days, and won't hold you back as you progress as a surfer in nicer surf. It's also another step closer to that shortboard that we all know you are eventually going to buy.

And not saying that you shouldn't get a custom board from a local shaper. I always support the small, local guys. But there is no need to go nuts on the board's design and shape. It won't help a beginner.

I have about 13 boards right now I think. After years of looking down my nose at Surftechs and plastic boards in general, I recently bought a 90$ ,9'2" x 22" x 2 3/4" as a temporary longboard replacement while my go-to log is getting a delam repaired. I've really come to like the board. It came with a 9" fiberglass, Lucy K Fin (which I really like) and 2 Ofishl side bites, which I removed. I find that the board is light underfoot, responsive, and maneuverable. Yesterday, the waves were poor, 1-3', and mushy so I grabbed the Surftech. I went to my local beach break and seemed to have it all to myself for as far as I could see. The pier, a good mile or more away appeared to have a few surfers and better waves; but I was too lazy to head that far away. After about an hour, two young men in their late teens or early 20's, a body boarder and a surfer paddled out. I did not recognize them as being locals. Being the only person at a beach break for at least 500 yards in either direction, they decided that the best place to surf must be right where I was. This didn't bother me as neither were catching any waves and mostly were just flopping around in the white water. However, after about 20 minutes, the surfer paddled over to within 10 feet of me. No big deal until he decided to take off on the same wave that I was going for. Being on the inside, I looked left (the wave was a right) and then took off directly parallel to the wave face. I looked right and saw as I popped up that the surfer was still paddling for the wave, I set my trim and thought to myself, "this guy's not even going to look, he's just going to drop right in." I then thought, "I should kick out" and as I went to do so I had a second thought, "I should run this kook over, I have a Surftech." As I was already angling my nose over the lip of the wave, I took a quick cross step back, did a quick pivot and turned my board back down the face of the wave, this time with even more speed. The young man still did not look back and had finally popped unsteadily to his feet. I took aim and plowed my giant, plastic board right into the left rail of his pristine white, EPS, Chemistry potato-chip with a cry of "WATCH OUT, F***IN KOOK!" while leaping off my board and behind the wave. He came up spitting water, apologizing and inquiring "Is your board okay?" "Don't drop in, understand?" I growled at him. I did not bother to inquire as to the condition of his board. I don't wear a leash while longboarding, so I walked the 30' into shore to retrieve my board. After that the two young men paddled a 100 or so yards down the beach, hopefully alittle wiser. My board was of course in the same shape that it was prior to being used as a battling ram. So if your goal is to run over kooks without having to worry about your board, I highly recommend a Surftech. I'm thinking of painting a big, toothy mouth on the nose of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCo_Surfer View Post
    "I should run this kook over, I have a Surftech." As I was already angling my nose over the lip of the wave, I took a quick cross step back, did a quick pivot and turned my board back down the face of the wave, this time with even more speed. The young man still did not look back and had finally popped unsteadily to his feet. I took aim and plowed my giant, plastic board right into the left rail of his pristine white, EPS, Chemistry potato-chip with a cry of "WATCH OUT, F***IN KOOK!" while leaping off my board and behind the wave. He came up spitting water, apologizing and inquiring "Is your board okay?" "Don't drop in, understand?" I growled at him. I did not bother to inquire as to the condition of his board. I don't wear a leash while longboarding, so I walked the 30' into shore to retrieve my board. After that the two young men paddled a 100 or so yards down the beach, hopefully alittle wiser. My board was of course in the same shape that it was prior to being used as a battling ram. So if your goal is to run over kooks without having to worry about your board, I highly recommend a Surftech. I'm thinking of painting a big, toothy mouth on the nose of mine.
    Wow. You seem like a nice guy. Never mind talking to a newbie to teach them surf etiquette - just run them over, possibly injure them, break their board and glower at them when they apologize.

Surftechs are bulletproof, but I'd rather have the board break instead of me or someone else.

A surftech longboard hit me in the face and knocked out three of my teeth.

I'm sure you can find a good local shaper to give some money to. Price will be the same or very close.

I have a variety of boards, and in the rotation I have a 6'4" Rusty Predator tuflite2 that is bees knees so long as it isnt too choppy. Takes a beating, easy to fix with 2 part epoxy clay

Quote Originally Posted by NoCo_Surfer View Post
    I have about 13 boards right now I think. After years of looking down my nose at Surftechs and plastic boards in general, I recently bought a 90$ ,9'2" x 22" x 2 3/4" as a temporary longboard replacement while my go-to log is getting a delam repaired. I've really come to like the board. It came with a 9" fiberglass, Lucy K Fin (which I really like) and 2 Ofishl side bites, which I removed. I find that the board is light underfoot, responsive, and maneuverable. Yesterday, the waves were poor, 1-3', and mushy so I grabbed the Surftech. I went to my local beach break and seemed to have it all to myself for as far as I could see. The pier, a good mile or more away appeared to have a few surfers and better waves; but I was too lazy to head that far away. After about an hour, two young men in their late teens or early 20's, a body boarder and a surfer paddled out. I did not recognize them as being locals. Being the only person at a beach break for at least 500 yards in either direction, they decided that the best place to surf must be right where I was. This didn't bother me as neither were catching any waves and mostly were just flopping around in the white water. However, after about 20 minutes, the surfer paddled over to within 10 feet of me. No big deal until he decided to take off on the same wave that I was going for. Being on the inside, I looked left (the wave was a right) and then took off directly parallel to the wave face. I looked right and saw as I popped up that the surfer was still paddling for the wave, I set my trim and thought to myself, "this guy's not even going to look, he's just going to drop right in." I then thought, "I should kick out" and as I went to do so I had a second thought, "I should run this kook over, I have a Surftech." As I was already angling my nose over the lip of the wave, I took a quick cross step back, did a quick pivot and turned my board back down the face of the wave, this time with even more speed. The young man still did not look back and had finally popped unsteadily to his feet. I took aim and plowed my giant, plastic board right into the left rail of his pristine white, EPS, Chemistry potato-chip with a cry of "WATCH OUT, F***IN KOOK!" while leaping off my board and behind the wave. He came up spitting water, apologizing and inquiring "Is your board okay?" "Don't drop in, understand?" I growled at him. I did not bother to inquire as to the condition of his board. I don't wear a leash while longboarding, so I walked the 30' into shore to retrieve my board. After that the two young men paddled a 100 or so yards down the beach, hopefully alittle wiser. My board was of course in the same shape that it was prior to being used as a battling ram. So if your goal is to run over kooks without having to worry about your board, I highly recommend a Surftech. I'm thinking of painting a big, toothy mouth on the nose of mine.

that was sorta ****ty, dude. i'm all for setting kooks in their place in the line up, but crap like that really is over the top unless there have been multiple occurrences of the guy not looking. i mean, did you even bother to hoot or whistle or something? yea, the guy should've looked, but when he didn't, did you give him a heads up to let him know you were there?

Images
    after all the arguing on this website... still like Surftechs.. i also agree

Quote Originally Posted by sailquik View Post
    Surftechs are bulletproof, but I'd rather have the board break instead of me or someone else.

A surftech longboard hit me in the face and knocked out three of my teeth...
    I know what you mean - a tuflite longboard hit me in the head and I had to get 8 staples. TL shortboards aren't as hard...but then you have to deal with ****ty turns due to the stiffness.

My poly lost stub hit me in the head the other day and I hardly felt it...but when I got out, there was a big fracture on the rail. In fact, I've gotten a lot of dings in this board just from bailing waves on bigger days...I don't even hit anything, as far as I know. I'm getting a hydroflex next time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    I know what you mean - a tuflite longboard hit me in the head and I had to get 8 staples. TL shortboards aren't as hard...but then you have to deal with ****ty turns due to the stiffness.

My poly lost stub hit me in the head the other day and I hardly felt it...but when I got out, there was a big fracture on the rail. In fact, I've gotten a lot of dings in this board just from bailing waves on bigger days...I don't even hit anything, as far as I know. I'm getting a hydroflex next time.
    Yop I got stapled with a surftech too....

Quote Originally Posted by sailquik View Post
    Wow. You seem like a nice guy. Never mind talking to a newbie to teach them surf etiquette - just run them over, possibly injure them, break their board and glower at them when they apologize.
    Who said that the guy was a newbie? You can surf for years and still be a kook. He was rocking a $600+ HPSB, Chemistry with a set of AM2 techflex Futures set up as a twin and 40$ Creatures pad. Completely wrong setup for that board on that day. Really nice board, except for a large ding on the rail. Not exactly what I would expect a "newbie" to be riding though.