LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 77
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    321

    The every subject thread

    Alright guys, this thread will be a catch all. You cannot be accused of hijacking because it has no true identity.

    The purpose of this thread is to post on whatever subject you want and provide a point/counter point and see where it leads us.

    There has been some squabble on the boringness of the thread so lets make it lively and appropriate (for the mods).

    I'll start with subject one - Why do people find talking about surfing like watching golf? Of course it is more fun to do it but talking about it gives us insight on how to do something better next time we surf.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,375
    Talking about surfing is boring. You can talk about cut backs and drop ins all you want, but everything has been discussed before. Just as exciting as discussing wetsuit thickness.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    sea
    Posts
    1,360
    surfings way cooler than golf.if the hole was constantly running away every time they swing,maybe it would be cooler.golf is an elitist sport in which mostly the rich are the ones who play.anyone ever think what a waste of space a golf course is?surfing is the ultimate sport in my eyes.u don't have a park or field,no ramps or rails,just pure ocean.

    something I wanted to post about but haven't since the threads been obsolete.i usually watch 20/20 on abc every Friday night.last episode was guns and kids.kids accidently shooting themselves with their parents guns,because the parents are too stupid to think hey maybe I should hide this.then they had the kids who saved their lives with a gun when someone broke in.im not against or for guns.i grew up near the woods so I was basically born into hunting.my neighbor whos kids I hung out with as a child had a huge cache of rifles,shotguns,etc.me nor my friends ever tried to pick them up and shoot at each other.my uncle whos a sheriff for Middlesex county,used to leave his 2 guns in the holster on top of the fridge.we looked but never touched.its not really the topic of guns are bad,just u shouldn't have guns around inexperienced people.anyone under 16 should not be allowed to touch a gun without a parent present.if I left an 8'' grinder with a carbide cutting disk on the table while plugged in,and my kid went and pressed the button and cut his hand off,id be held responsible which is the right thing.a cop leaves his gun on the coffee table and little jr shoots his friend in the head,that cop should go to jail.i go duck hunting and that's it.when I was younger I thought shooting deer and other animals would be cool,but when u actually see some poor animal dying,its not cool.maybe im a hippie,idk,I fish and shoot duck.nothing wrong with guns aslong as their in good hands.i was at my father in laws house the other day,the same dude I plan to drink and puff with later today at the superbowl,and he was showing me his classic colt 45 military pistol.i guess the things so old u cant cock it right.i told him just take the clip out,which he couldn't lol,the clip goes at the top of the gun instead of the handle,and the whole time hes manhandling this thing trying to take the clip out hes pointing it at me the whole time and telling me how the trigger is real easy,and im like put that shyt away!!!no matter how skilled one can be,all it takes is 1 stray to end your life,and life is too precious to lose over a 25cent bullet.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    3,013
    Yakkety yak.....don't talk back.....(The Coasters).....

    It IS boring to read posts from people 'talking' about surfing. Unless it's from the shredmachine or his ilk. Nobody pier shotted like that kid, and nobody cruised life like that kid's fantasy life did. So, that was interesting.

    Reading the gnome's posts on aircraft carrier construiction or experiencing chucka-boo-boo's rants emanating fom his Maine latex luv-doll-fabrication-luv barn are entertaining, but only in the sense of we have to be allowed to respond freely. As it stands now, the moment anyone tags someone as a Thundercu*t (props, Brew, props), it's friggin over: welcome to Ban Nation.

    PJB was over-the-top, but the man could turn a phrase like no other.
    Sandblasters would eviscerate anyone in a heartbeat, and kept everyone on their toes.
    RCarter is in a league of his own on several fronts, and for that alone needs to be welcomed back into the fold so that ha can develop his hate for us all.

    The SI Forum used to be HOF legends on the back 'n forth. Now, it's like a vanilla milkshake from BK: bland, tasteless & a waste of time.

    And I'm with cepriano, that was a good post he made. Although, mang, I wish he'd use paragraphs & punctuation.
    Last edited by yankee; Feb 2, 2014 at 03:59 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    3,013
    I watched the trailer for this. I'm very upset. Not sure I can handle the actual movie. Haven't been able to make it through 'The Cove' yet.

    http://blackfishmovie.com/

    What these fukkkkers do to these magnificent creatures in their greed for money from a$$wipe tourists is absolutely obscene. We are the guardians of this planet & we humans are just absolutely destroying it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    sea
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Talking about surfing is boring. You can talk about cut backs and drop ins all you want, but everything has been discussed before. Just as exciting as discussing wetsuit thickness.
    yea I agree nothing new to add to the surf talk.its like talking about driving a car or something.i guess its a fad thing.everyone wants to talk about the new,when there is no new.when I was a kid I wanted to be an astronaut.then I found out if ur helmet comes off in space ur head will explode.lol.then I wanted to race cars.i had all the superstreet mags,turbo mag,etc..my brother builds race cars,after a while,after being in a few close calls while other people are racing im in the passenger seat,i said phuk racing.then I wanted to be a cop,but realized if I became a cop I would have no friends and the only people I could communicate with would be other cops.I wouldn't call surfing a career path or anything like that,like a change for the future.i got into surfing and that's it.I seen that greg noll clip on surfline about surfing outer reefs at pipe,and I just laughed and laughed.i love that guy,now hes an old fat guy and if u bumped into him at the supermarket u wouldn't know u just bumbped into one of the greatest bigwave riders of all time.he doggy paddled for 2 hrs to get in,sounds like me lol.u know when u think ur not that great of a swmmer,then ur out in the ocean,lose your board and have to swim in the real test begins.i can swim over a mile on my back,i can walk miles,doggy paddle maybe a quarter mile,but straight regular swimming,whatever its called im not that great at.my x was the one that got me over my fear of the depths.one day we swam so far offshore,cant call a number on it,but it was far and she told me never look back,when I finally did,i thought I was gonna die,no way I could swim in.well I did,and the rest is history I guess.mind over matter,ur body gives up before the brain

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    VA Beach
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    ...We are the guardians of this planet & we humans are just absolutely destroying it.
    I agree.
    It's what man does - exploits and ruins out of his unquenchable greed for power and profit. He literally craps in his own food bowl.
    I think there was a thread or at least some posts last summer on something similar to this.

    While in college, I worked during the summer of '78 at Marineland of the Pacific located in Palos Verdes, CA, above the cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It closed years ago. At first I thought it was a great place to work.
    I was in food services. We'd arrive at 5 AM to make all the sandwiches, salads, etc, for the first portion of the day. The park would open at 10 AM. During our breaks and before the tourists arrived, I'd walk around and check out the various tanks, displays, and exhibits - including the Orcas, Pilot Whales, and dolphins. Used to play catch with some of the dolphins.
    But after seeing all this, one couldn't help to wonder how any of this was good for these creatures. They were kept in cement tanks with observation windows and metal gates and hand fed frozen dead fish and given antibiotics - all for the purpose of making money by entertaining the crowds, selling whale and dolphin souvenirs, etc. Nothing new there; man has done this sort of thing for thousands of years - finding entertainment through the suffering of animals. In my opinion, zoos are similar.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Yakkety yak.....don't talk back.....(The Coasters).....

    It IS boring to read posts from people 'talking' about surfing. Unless it's from the shredmachine or his ilk. Nobody pier shotted like that kid, and nobody cruised life like that kid's fantasy life did. So, that was interesting.

    Reading the gnome's posts on aircraft carrier construiction or experiencing chucka-boo-boo's rants emanating fom his Maine latex luv-doll-fabrication-luv barn are entertaining, but only in the sense of we have to be allowed to respond freely. As it stands now, the moment anyone tags someone as a Thundercu*t (props, Brew, props), it's friggin over: welcome to Ban Nation.

    PJB was over-the-top, but the man could turn a phrase like no other.
    Sandblasters would eviscerate anyone in a heartbeat, and kept everyone on their toes.
    RCarter is in a league of his own on several fronts, and for that alone needs to be welcomed back into the fold so that ha can develop his hate for us all.

    The SI Forum used to be HOF legends on the back 'n forth. Now, it's like a vanilla milkshake from BK: bland, tasteless & a waste of time.

    And I'm with cepriano, that was a good post he made. Although, mang, I wish he'd use paragraphs & punctuation.
    Are those members banned forever? I hate vanilla milkshakes.

    I don't like talking about surfing like "damn bro I got pitted" but I do thoroughly enjoy discussing things like the concave thread or fin talk. Wetsuit conversation kind of gets lame unless it is a new suit or technology.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    yea I agree nothing new to add to the surf talk.its like talking about driving a car or something.i guess its a fad thing.everyone wants to talk about the new,when there is no new.when I was a kid I wanted to be an astronaut.then I found out if ur helmet comes off in space ur head will explode.lol.then I wanted to race cars.i had all the superstreet mags,turbo mag,etc..my brother builds race cars,after a while,after being in a few close calls while other people are racing im in the passenger seat,i said phuk racing.then I wanted to be a cop,but realized if I became a cop I would have no friends and the only people I could communicate with would be other cops.I wouldn't call surfing a career path or anything like that,like a change for the future.i got into surfing and that's it.I seen that greg noll clip on surfline about surfing outer reefs at pipe,and I just laughed and laughed.i love that guy,now hes an old fat guy and if u bumped into him at the supermarket u wouldn't know u just bumbped into one of the greatest bigwave riders of all time.he doggy paddled for 2 hrs to get in,sounds like me lol.u know when u think ur not that great of a swmmer,then ur out in the ocean,lose your board and have to swim in the real test begins.i can swim over a mile on my back,i can walk miles,doggy paddle maybe a quarter mile,but straight regular swimming,whatever its called im not that great at.my x was the one that got me over my fear of the depths.one day we swam so far offshore,cant call a number on it,but it was far and she told me never look back,when I finally did,i thought I was gonna die,no way I could swim in.well I did,and the rest is history I guess.mind over matter,ur body gives up before the brain
    Wouldnt this be a case of your brain giving in before your body? Cause it was your brain that told you that you couldn't swim in. Your body still had the ability to make it in after all.

    Surfing can be interesting to talk about. You just gotta be open to all the twisted ideas goin on in peoples heads!! haha, some weird sh!t sometimes. And you gotta be willing to talk to the mad scientist looking old dudes that hang at the beach. Yes sometimes they just end up being the town drunk washout, but other times hes that and some old surfer dude with stories upon stories of crazy finless boards goin upside down in tubes...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    3,013
    Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    I agree.
    It's what man does - exploits and ruins out of his unquenchable greed for power and profit. He literally craps in his own food bowl.
    I think there was a thread or at least some posts last summer on something similar to this.

    While in college, I worked during the summer of '78 at Marineland of the Pacific located in Palos Verdes, CA, above the cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It closed years ago. At first I thought it was a great place to work.
    I was in food services. We'd arrive at 5 AM to make all the sandwiches, salads, etc, for the first portion of the day. The park would open at 10 AM. During our breaks and before the tourists arrived, I'd walk around and check out the various tanks, displays, and exhibits - including the Orcas, Pilot Whales, and dolphins. Used to play catch with some of the dolphins.
    But after seeing all this, one couldn't help to wonder how any of this was good for these creatures. They were kept in cement tanks with observation windows and metal gates and hand fed frozen dead fish and given antibiotics - all for the purpose of making money by entertaining the crowds, selling whale and dolphin souvenirs, etc. Nothing new there; man has done this sort of thing for thousands of years - finding entertainment through the suffering of animals. In my opinion, zoos are similar.
    Well-stated, Dos. 110% with you on this. Zoos = obscene horror shows. Hey let's take the kiddies & expose them to how brutal humans are to the other inhabitants of the planet! Friggin train wreck in action.

    Don't get me started on the dolphins. Ok, get me started on the dolphins. What we do to these magnificent fellow-creatures is insane & macabre. They're the closest creatures to humans in terms of brain spindles. Dolphins are enslaved, slaughtered, caught for sport & discarded as yesterday's trash by long line net fishing ops.

    There's evidence that dolphin's sonar can sense, root out & destroy cancer cells. Growing anecdotal evidence of this (see: Florida dolphin organizations).

    BTW, dolphins develop sonar; they're not born with it, they're taught it by their parents.

    Take a moment & think that last one through, in any or all of its implications.