LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by staystoked View Post
    Fun Fact for 1/4 the price you can make artificial reefs that stop erosion, clean the water, and most importantly create mother ****ing epic ****ingtastic waves that we can all enjoy.
    fun fact #2: no one has yet managed to actually engineer & produce such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    fun fact #2: no one has yet managed to actually engineer & produce such a thing.
    I don't know jack about artificial reefs, but they do sink old tankers and decommissioned war ships from time to time as structure for fishing. Would this work, or has it been done close enough to shore to influence a swell?
    Yeah, Yeah #BelmarArtificialReefistheshizllefolifegangsta

Quote Originally Posted by CBSCREWBY View Post
    I don't know jack about artificial reefs, but they do sink old tankers and decommissioned war ships from time to time as structure for fishing. Would this work, or has it been done close enough to shore to influence a swell?
    Yeah, Yeah #BelmarArtificialReefistheshizllefolifegangsta
    i'm not 100% clear on the mechanics of it, but i don't think that sinking an old ship or whatever would work to create a good, rideable wave. you have to shape the reef just so to focus the energy of the swell in the right way. & even then, it would only really work if the swell came at it from a certain angle & period. change the either of those, & it wouldn't work. reef breaks around the world seem to work best w/ medium or long period swells, which is something we don't see a whole lot of here on the east coast.

Thanks njsurfer42. I don't know jack about reefs in general. That helped!

Quote Originally Posted by CBSCREWBY View Post
    Thanks njsurfer42. I don't know jack about reefs in general. That helped!
    no worries. my knowledge of oceanography & bathymetry is limited, but i know enough to know that creating an artificial reef for surfing isn't as easy as plunking a bunch of rocks down on the ocean floor. i wish it were...