LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

To Surf Alone or Not?

Has anyone surfed completely alone in the winter on the eastern shores? And by alone I mean no one in the water and no one in the houses overlooking the beach, assuming there even are houses. I have some people that say its a great experience and others that swear they will never do it. share your thoughts.... I'm curious what an experienced surfers point of view is

I'm sure everybody that actually surfs here has surfed alone; winter, summer, dawn, dusk. Most prefer it.

Images
    It happens for me every now and then. Makes me think I'm more motivated than everybody else or maybe just dumb because if nobody is out waves are probably not great but either way I am getting to surf. It's also always nice not having to share waves.

yeah plenty of times. use your judgement and be real about being able to handle it solo.

Well the family could see me from the deck, but not like they could be any help if I got into trouble. I prefer to have at least someone w\in sight, but if there are waves, you just go...I am a bit more wary though.

Images
    Head high and under all the time. Over head in the winter almost never.

I surf alone plenty in the Winter. I actually prefer to have a few friends with me, just because I think it's more fun.

Images
    depends on the size...i don't mind a couple of people in the water at any size (but no more than that), and on bigger days, feel better if there are other people out (but not too many!).

I usually go to the beach "alone" but only go in if others are in the water too. I have been out there alone before but it was only waist high so my thoughts were that something really bad would have to happen for something to go wrong.

Side bar - Do people take notice when others are in the water?? I tell my girlfriend that even though i didnt go with anyone that fellow surfers usually keep an eye on each other is this true or do people just get tunnel vision and only focus on themselves???

All the time. Today I was completely alone. No houses, no one on the beach. Actually the majority of my shuts this winter have been completely alone. I used to not go out if no one else was around when I was young but now I do it all the time. Usually in winter but even in the summer I'll get to the beach before sunrise and paddle out in the dark if the moon is bright enough. It's nice to get a few waves to myself even if it's only for 30 min before every one else shows up. Iv never surfed anything bigger then chest/head high alone though. I feel like once it's over head if be more cautious, but I think I'd paddle out if it was really good.