LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Experienced surfer here.

Sack up and get in the water fool.

Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
    At my home break all the time but when I was in Costa I have to admit I did get really sketched out surfing alone.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipsmacker View Post
    At my home break all the time but when I was in Costa I have to admit I did get really sketched out surfing alone.
    heh, that's funny. when scoping out a strange break that's breaking, you always have to ask yourself why nobody else is out...

Yes quite a bit. Especially when I surf in eastern Maine. Not many surfers up here. Just a cove surrounded by trees and mountains. No people and definitely no houses. I love it, but I'll be honest sometimes it does get a little creepy. I also try to avoid going out alone when its big.

I did once and the boogie man was out there. He said if anymore surfers surf alone he will be mean to them. Don't do it! The boogiemaan will get you. Ps. The Loch Ness monster was out there plus the Jersey Devil and Sasquatch.

This guy was at a local break about a year ago. A big fish like a tarpon leaped out of the water, hit him in the head unconscious. Lucky the lineup was semi crowded and a guy spotted it happen and saved the guys life. True and really weird story.

And then there is this story:
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=1995,4115987

Doesn't mean you can't surf alone, of course, just interesting.
    Last edited by Betty; Feb 4, 2014 at 09:52 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    I surf alone plenty in the Winter. I actually prefer to have a few friends with me, just because I think it's more fun.
    Exactly the same

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    This guy was at a local break about a year ago. A big fish like a tarpon leaped out of the water, hit him in the head unconscious. Lucky the lineup was semi crowded and a guy spotted it happen and saved the guys life. True and really weird story.

And then there is this story:
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=1995,4115987

Doesn't mean you can't surf alone, of course, just interesting.
    I hate when that happens! A big tarpon smashed underneath my board as I was laying flat on it, and I bounced up in the air off my board about a foot high and landed back on it. I was all alone and had my feet up because I saw big swirls and didn't know if it was sharks or what. It was chest high and clean, and in a spot known for sharks. I got out after I almost ruined my boardshorts. I saw from the beach it was a big tarpon, but left anyway I was so sketched out. This almost never happens at Typhoon Lagoon.

Whoa. Thats really weird.

I'm always first in the water at sunrise, only one around for at least the first hour or so until someone else paddles out at least. Occasionally i'll get an entire 3-4hr session all by myself, but at some point someone walks by or something. But I don't really pay attention to what's going on other than catching my next wave so even if there was anybody there, i wouldn't see them. I do my best surfing when i'm alone, nobody to distract me, just me and the ocean and the occasional visitor in the water or air. Of course, being in the water that early (sometimes before sunrise) isn't exactly the safest idea, but it has it's advantages.