LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Measure it along the bottom... you'll have a 9'9
    Tip-to-tip on the deck side... a 9'8

Problem solved.

Flip A coin!! Either way you'll be stokedd!!

All commentary appreciated. I'm definitely aware that width, rocker, thickness & fin are very significant factors. I'm not quite that green. They suggested 9'8"-10, 22 7/8, 2 7/8, and the Dead Sleds all have a pretty good tail kick with minimal nose rocker. I'm leaning 9'6" to 9'8". Good point that one tank is enough. It's the truth.

Vote for Pedro he gives out free longboards

Thumbs down no wax on and none off

grasshopper asks unanswerable questions.
    we must temper our knowledge w/humility.

Don't be swayed by those here telling you to go down to 9'6".

I'm 5'9" x 140" and I ride a 9'6" x 22 3/4" x 2 15/16".

You should go much bigger since you are so tall / heavier.

I would even lean towards the longer end of the scale since I feel that christensons are pretty thinned out and he likes riding 11' plus boards himself- meaning he favors length and that will trickle down to all his designs. For instance, I feel his fish isn't the best design because he is a 'length' shaper and he simply can't make a drivey board that is short.

Plus- his whole team is skinny hipsters, and they ride 9'7"s

If I were you I would go 9'10"-10'1" like they said, but wider and thicker like 23"-23 1/2" x 3 3/16"
    Last edited by longboardsndonuts; Feb 14, 2014 at 05:09 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fins369 View Post
    There are many aspects of a nose riding LB that come into play well before the length of the board does. Nose rocker, nose concave, tail rocker/tail kick, width, type of rails... all heavy factors in board design.

Deciding over an inch in your length is a massive waste of time. I recommend a 9'6" x 23" wide. Flat nose rocker, large tail kick, 50/50 rails, deep nose concave, wide nose, square tail, big single fin.

The extreme length of your board will actually work against you when your on the nose. think of your board like a wrench, with the tail locked into the wave being the wrench on the bolt. what will be easier to turn that bolt? a long wrench with tons of leverage, or a short wrench? the long wrench. So when your perched up there, almost 10 feet away from the tail that is locked into the wave and holding the board from flipping over, you want to minimize the leverage your weight has on the nose. not increase it. That's why most nose riders are 9'6" and under.
    Fins,

I gotta disagree with you on your physics but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. IMO, the length will definitely help a noserider. I think the others are right that most boards are <9'6" because it's more economical to make them that way.

A lever needs a fulcrom to function. If the OP is 195lbs and we can assume that the fulcrom will be the water behind his back foot (or somewhere close) so he will be on the short end of the lever when on the nose allowing the long end to be covered up with more water. This will let the force applied to the back of the board be equal or greater than the riders weight allowing for a noseride.

The reason a noserider should have a big fin is to stop the tail from sliding down the face and allowing the wave to break on top of the board putting down more force on the tail and lifting the guy on the nose.

Just my thoughts, there aren't any letters after my name.

Images
    I'm no noserider, but I would think that board width, board weight, rocker flow, foil flow, concaves, rail characteristics, fin details and probably some things I'm forgetting would all make more impact on how a board noserides than the four inch difference in length between a 9'4" and a 9'8". So much so that a capable shaper could make a 150 pound or a 190 pound customer a perfectly good noserider in any length in that range, and a little ways outside that range as well.
    Last edited by mitchell; Feb 14, 2014 at 08:02 PM.

Did you ever end up getting the dead sled and if so how do you like it