LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Issues

Winter Issues

My luck has sucked this year. That and I am not paying attention.

1) Paddled out without zipping up my suit. On what was a record breaking day for low temperature since the 90s or something. Realize after about 20 min in the water and had a hard time zipping up with wet 7 mil lobster claws.
    2) I got a crazy bruise on my armpit. Putting the board on the roof of my truck, standing on the tire with booties covered in snow and slush, slipped off and slammed my armpit on the door hinge.
    3) Got out after a surf, start the truck up, somehow lock myself out while its running. Phone, towels, keys (obviously), everything in the running truck except me.
    4)Driving through the parking lot, towards the sun, snow everywhere. I was snow blind, drove right into 2 or 3 feet of snow that got plowed to one side of the parking lot and I got stuck.
    5) I keep my board in my garage, garage door got frozen shut. Then I finally bust it open and now it wont close. Its an automatic door opener so it would close, then go back up. Couldn't figure it out.
    6)All the salt they throw down for the snow was all over my truck, including the windshield. Seeing was pretty hard so I after a surf I throw water on the windshield and turn the wipers on the clean it (my windshield washer sprayer thing has never worked). The water turned to slush in about 2 swipes of the wipers, making the whole seeing situation worse.
    and lastly 7) Another really cold day, I am getting into the water but before I make it to the water I slip on icey sand and bust my backside then have the shore break slam on me while I am down.

Today I was thinking about all this and had a good laugh. Thought some of you other cold water/weather guys might find this humorous also, or even better have similar stories so I could feel better about myself

Bro, you got hosed. better luck in the spring.

Damn dude, sucked to be you this winter, better luck next season?

Haha funny stuff Bassmon. Where i surf i never lock my car up. I normally just put the keys in the middle console. After I got out of the water took my gloves off and couldn't wait to get out of the 20 degrees temp. I realise that I lock my keys up inside my car with no one around I had wait for one of the other guys to get out so i could ask for a ride. fingers were frozen.

Yeah man it was rough. Low 20s and no gloves. Luckily one of the other guys got out and let me use his phone and sit in the car while I waited for someone to come with spare keys. I'm just happy all my bad luck comes before or after the surf. My experience with this winter in the water has been great.

yea, i think we've all been there...maybe not in as quick succession as you have this year, but we've definitely all been there.
    this year: i slipped on some ice & almost busted my ass walking back to my jeep after a surf on the coldest day of the year so far.
    last year: surfed post-work till dark. i was one of the last guys out of the water, go to reach under my jeep for my hide-a-key, & lo & behold, it's not there. i check the other 3 wheel wells, no dice. i run over to the one other guy's car, explain the situation, & ask to use his cell phone to call my wife. she doesn't answer. after making sure i'm ok, dude drives off. i ended up running, in my 5/4 w/ board under arm, about a mile through town, in the dark, to a friend's house, where i try calling my wife again. still doesn't answer...finally got my buddy to give me a lift home where i got my spare key. turns out the magnet that holds the hide-a-key to the undercarriage had rusted out & fallen, taking my key w/ it. that was a crappy experience.

Wuck Finter!

I don't know how you folks further North do it--I hate winter living in freaking SENC!

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Wuck Finter!

I don't know how you folks further North do it--I hate winter living in freaking SENC!
    you know, i was thinking about this post-surf while struggling out of my wetsuit today. it's not the frigid air & water temps, or the shortened daylight hours, the crippling wind, or the ice & snow that make me rethink winter surfing every so often. it's dealing w/ the goddamn outfit required to surf in it! nothing sucks more after surfing for a few hours than trying to finagle a 7mil boot off your foot w/ numb hands, or get a 5mil claw off one hand while the other still shrouded in rubber, when all you want is to be warm again. or trying to get that first part of the suit off your shoulder so you can get your hands free again. i'm always half convinced that yes, THIS is the time i'm going to accidentally shred my suit.
    but, as my wife says whenever i ***** about any of this to her, "i don't feel bad for you."

Images
    njsurfer42, I had that happen with my hidakey, thankfully it was in my driveway when it let loose and I found it before I needed it. This is a summer story but I work at the beach and was done with work for the day. I had pulled some strings and got everything done early so I could be in the surf at the best tide during a really fun day. Excitedly I jumped out of the truck, shut the door and went to the back to pull out my board. Realized that the truck was locked with my keys in it and I was shirtless, boardless, without a phone and no hidakey. All this and perfect warm waves breaking 500 feet from where I was standing. Had to flag a ranger I knew down and thankfully he had a few tools to wedge my door open and slide a hooked pole in there to pop the door, uhhggg.

As far as the winter is concerned know one who doesn't surf winters can comprehend walking on sand that is frozen as hard as concrete. Never mind slipping and falling on it, lol.

Images
    "A bad day surfing is better than a good day at work." Does that apply here? Did you at least get some good rides? I went to Vermont this past weekend and got 3 days of expensive snowboarding in. Super bowl Sunday morning had 5 inches of powder on the side of Stowe that people forget exists. Monday snowstorm makes an annoying 6 hour drive 8 hours of sketchy white knuckling it. Tuesday went out in fairly cold conditions and now im sick as a dog. Surfing definitely pushed a sore throat viral...worth it. I have one wave still stuck in my head. Hope your luck improves.