LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1

    Exclamation For SURFING SAKE!!!!!

    I know this may be hard to comprehend on a surf predicting website... BUT 90% of the surf community on this website and just in general would appreciate it if when you see a possible bump on the future cast... You do NOT create a post with it, and please if you must do it, leave out the location... I know you say oh who checks out these forums or whatever, but all it takes is one out of area guy to see then say "hmm I will keep my eye on this" then if its going off bring ten of his closest friends and call everyone else. Just this year I have seen local spots that would be empty and going off on warm spring days become packed with 30 people and atleast 20 of them I have never seen in surrounding areas. AND this is in COOOLLLDDDD ARRRSSSEEEE winter.

    SORRY FOR THE BUTTHURT RANT JUST MISSING NEAR EMPTY LINEUPS....

  2. #2
    If you can't find an empty lineup in the winter you are lazy... Or you don't have a car

  3. #3
    no Im from up north where it isn't miles of beach its coves and little points and what not. there is only a finite number of quality spots during most typical swells due to wind, tides, and swell direction. that wasn't the point of the post... its just stating that your not doing anyone any favors by posting about future swells especially with locations include. thanks though

  4. #4
    I agree about spot burning, but a swell is for a region not for a spot. You are not going to get a swell at one spot. It's worse if someone talks about the last swell at their spot.
    And if someone says there's a swell coming to a spot you know everyone will be there and you can go somewhere else...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ocean County NJ
    Posts
    1,037
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    I agree about spot burning, but a swell is for a region not for a spot. You are not going to get a swell at one spot. It's worse if someone talks about the last swell at their spot.
    And if someone says there's a swell coming to a spot you know everyone will be there and you can go somewhere else...
    Yeah, surrendering your home break, that you've surfed for years, and earned your place at, so a butt load of ding dongs can try to surf it, while you go surf a lesser break sounds awsome.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    3,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Yeah, surrendering your home break, that you've surfed for years, and earned your place at, so a butt load of ding dongs can try to surf it, while you go surf a lesser break sounds awsome.
    totally agree. I hate that sentiment.

  7. What the hell is all this talk about earning a spot. Who in their right mind would only check one spot? So you earn a spot because your too stupid get out and go check others? You enjoy surfing **** when other spots are good? You don't earn **** by being stupid

    Surfers, new and old, are such donkeys. The ocean made created that spot (or the A.C.E) it belongs to no one. Respect the areas you travel to, respect the people that worked to create a life in the area, don't think that because you surf a spot more than someone else you are better, smarter or more entitled than that other person.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Promontorium Tremendum
    Posts
    980
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by paperplate View Post
    Just this year I have seen local spots that would be empty and going off on warm spring days become packed with 30 people and atleast 20 of them I have never seen in surrounding areas. AND this is in COOOLLLDDDD ARRRSSSEEEE winter.
    ok, but can you really track that crowd, on that day at that spot, back to somebody's post on this or some other forum? doubt it...more likely, someone checked the spot and then posted "XYZ is going off!" on social media somewhere.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    ok, but can you really track that crowd, on that day at that spot, back to somebody's post on this or some other forum? doubt it...more likely, someone checked the spot and then posted "XYZ is going off!" on social media somewhere.
    actually for one spot I can it was relatively hard to park/find but early this fall in a post about an area with swell someone who since stopped posting here. Put I heard spot x was going off tonight.... The next morning was the first time I'd ever seen more than 10 or so people there and it was like 35 with at least 20 of them having no clue because they constantly were in the wrong place either for takeoffs or d paddle in or out...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Singer Island
    Posts
    1,459
    Quote Originally Posted by surfingwasteland View Post
    What the hell is all this talk about earning a spot. Who in their right mind would only check one spot? So you earn a spot because your too stupid get out and go check others? You enjoy surfing **** when other spots are good? You don't earn **** by being stupid

    Surfers, new and old, are such donkeys. The ocean made created that spot (or the A.C.E) it belongs to no one. Respect the areas you travel to, respect the people that worked to create a life in the area, don't think that because you surf a spot more than someone else you are better, smarter or more entitled than that other person.
    Certain spots, especially those down here near inlets, are more tide dependent and have tricky lineups due to currents. If you surf that spot frequently and over several years, you become dialed in to the peak. Therefore you are more able to catch waves at that spot, even in crowded conditions. It makes it more challenging to get the best waves, or decent waves for that matter when it gets crowded, and it does get frustrating at times. But since you surf that spot all the time, it doesn't technically belong to you, but you should be able to surf it like it does if you are any good.