LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Surfing in small waves, I mean REALLY small

I haven't been out in 3 weeks and I just want to get in the salt water. This next upcoming week is sooo flat though. Anyone ever surf when It was this flat and still managed stand up?

Images
    yeah, but it's frustrating and sucks...almost more than not getting in...went out yesterday in ME because it'd been a little over a week - knee to thigh high but sooooo weak (AND it was high tide...my spots up here handle low or incoming better...but at least the water was crystal clear aqua blue color, that was nice). But i know what you mean. With the upcoming week's forecast, it's lookin' a little bleak

I've had a lot of fun with an old-school noserider in 1' surf - but only in the dead of winter when there aren't 15 kooks paddling for the same 1' wave. A long time ago, on a tiny shore pound day, an old guy (who was probably younger than I am now) said 'it's better than not surfing'.

Quote Originally Posted by misfit27 View Post
    I've had a lot of fun with an old-school noserider in 1' surf - but only in the dead of winter when there aren't 15 kooks paddling for the same 1' wave. A long time ago, on a tiny shore pound day, an old guy (who was probably younger than I am now) said 'it's better than not surfing'.
    Did you get out today, misfit? Not much sneaking in there, especially later in the day. Looked like you needed serious volume to catch anything...

I surf small stuff all the time. If it's breaking I'm out there. It really depends on the day if it's fun or not. Sometimes you get knee high waves that just go forever. You can't turn or anything but you just gliiiiiiiide. Those days are fun. If you got the itch, get out there. I couldn't imagine going 3 weeks out of the water I'd go insane. I got a theory that going out on small days helps when you get that chest/head/OH day.

I spent most of the summer hitting the break every night for ten inch waves. Literally. Then getting stoked when the knee to thigh sneaker set comes in before sunset. These nights allowed me to move down to a 5'10 and the first chest to head day I hit up in RI after 3 weeks straight of one-footers, I was going down the line and pumping on the face for the first time ever and doing so on a short board in 4ft+. Why are those waves worth it? Because they're so damn slow and barely existent that you can focus on one part of technique rep after rep and really feel the difference from rep to rep - like getting to feet and foot placement.

The waves are so damn small on these days that you're able to rep out on something specific like that since no plus set is coming through to level you and there's nothing possibly closing out. Granted, I was a complete beginner still at the time, so it may not stoke anyone who's consistently ripping good waves. All I know is each next time I'd be in a good wave, these one-foot days made all the difference. My four month mark in June was nowhere near my skill at five months in July after many days straight of waves barely breaking.

All this is likely different on 9s and 10s and bigger for LBs, but prepare to be out there for an hour or more and maybe not getting a single takeoff due to no waves breaking. But you're stepping into liquid and paddling and it's doing your body and soul some good. Let me also say that chasing ankle biters in trunks is one thing and 9F air and 36F water another.

No charger who's ever hit the break that day and gave it full effort and gratitude (whether it was DOH or Double Over-Ankle) has ever said it made them a worse surfer...

Images
    well said!!

Images
    Get out there homie, you'll be glad you did. Always come out a better person than before you went in.

Kooks .

Slashdog, I didn't get out yesterday, I'd probably have needed my wife's paddleboard to get into anything. Had some fun waves Wednesday afternoon, feast or famine, bro. Looks like it's gonna be a famine kind of week...