LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    337

    Why is NJ so good? Seriously.

    Every time I see a Surfline feature on the EC, NJ is at least 75%. It looks so dang good man. Why is it so good there. And to think, I thought the #Belmar thing was mockery. Guess not.

    http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/ea...-swell_106671/

  2. while nj does get some great barreling surf, I think its more of surfline having alot of contributing photogs and surfers from the mid atlantic. There are places all over the North East that get good surf, some arguably better than Jersey/midatlantic.

    Theres quite a few of Cape cod by the way...
    Last edited by surfingwasteland; Feb 16, 2014 at 12:35 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by surfingwasteland View Post
    while nj does get some great barreling surf, I think its more of surfline having alot of contributing photogs and surfers from the mid atlantic. There are places all over the North East that get good surf some, arguably better than Jersey/midatlantic.
    I figured there is some sick spots in the NE/far NE. I am just surprised at the barrels being thrown down in NJ. Maybe it's the jetty setup they got? I know this - Same day, same swell, in DE was a bust. Hit OCMD and found chest high offshore but to think that just a couple hours north it was throwing down sucks.

    I did witness a dude break a shred sled in half going off the top. Bad day for him.

  4. also remember, the grass is always greener on the other side.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    ethernet
    Posts
    2,622
    yeah, I am surprised waverhunters doesn't have a package for Belmar or AC

  6. #6
    A lot is made of bottom contour, the continental shelf, and how it affects long period swells (over 15 seconds).

    What isn't taken into account is how inshore bottom contour and depth affects local storms/shorter period wind swells. The water depths off south Jersey and Delaware are very shallow up to 30-40 miles offshore. You have to go nearly 30-40 miles just to get to 20-30 fathoms of water. No doubt the shallow water and offshore banks (5 fathom bank for example) knocks these local, shorter period swells down in size and power.

    In North Jersey, you can get 100 feet of water within a few miles of shore. I have to believe that the deeper water up in north jersey allows these local swells come into shore with much more size and power than they do a little further south.

    why the waves are breaking so well is anybody's guess. Even after the sand pumping/beach replenishment, the sandbars are still firing.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ocean City Nj
    Posts
    322
    Images
    1
    Don't always believe the pictures you see on surf line or instagram. Half the time those waves are closing out or too fast/shallow or any other factor that can make it a bad wave. I know this because I was standing next to a few of the photog's that get their pics on surf line (ben curr). The waves were not good to epic like surf line stated. And I'm not referring to this last good to epic on surfline with the pic of squan. Those pics are posted to make us regular surfers angry haha

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ocsurf32 View Post
    Don't always believe the pictures you see on surf line or instagram. Half the time those waves are closing out or too fast/shallow or any other factor that can make it a bad wave. I know this because I was standing next to a few of the photog's that get their pics on surf line (ben curr). The waves were not good to epic like surf line stated. And I'm not referring to this last good to epic on surfline with the pic of squan. Those pics are posted to make us regular surfers angry haha

    Yes it was far from epic on Friday morning. The tide was deep an it was blowing offshore like 30 mph sustained. Water 37 air 35...epic?

  9. #9
    NJ does get really good though. Tons of jetties everywhere and it gets deep relatively quick just offshore.
    The beaches are much different than Delaware MD and Va which have a really long slopey beach that results in crumbly waves alot of times. Many of those beaches you can walk about 100-200 feet and still been waist deep water. NJ especially Monmouth County drops off quickly. 100 feet out and it is 20 feet deep. This results in a lot of energy hitting the bars and jetties and hence steep barrells. Enjoy the photos

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,341
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Yes it was far from epic on Friday morning. The tide was deep an it was blowing offshore like 30 mph sustained. Water 37 air 35...epic?
    epic? no. fun as ****? hell yes. pulled into some closeouts, copped a couple good beatings, but still managed to squeak through a couple come out smiling.
    yea, it was howling offshore & a lot of the waves were closing out, but that just made the ones you make all the better.