LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Great thoughts sisurfdogg, thanks brah.

Waiting on Erock's Mystery Science Theater response once he puts down the Honey-Do List and picks up the Flux Capacitor to give us the formula. Really though, his response should be rich in detail and smelling of rich mahogany.

zach619 - you too good to bless us with your infinite bottom turn tech knowledge? Bro, do you even still surf?

Great thread, I have days where I "just go out and surf" and not think about it and end up surfing really well and not really know how I did it, but I walk away feeling like I know what the hell i'm doing out there, and other times I go out and pay attention to everything i'm doing and I try to work on things, sometimes it works and I get better by trial and error, but I think it's important to do both so that it's not always about learning, sometimes it's just about the fun, which is really why we do it right? One thing is for sure, every time I ever put pressure on myself to do well, I don't do as well as I'd like, so you guys trying to make this into a science should chill out a little and just enjoy the ride. Anyways, great pics Mitchell, always appreciated!
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; Feb 19, 2014 at 01:35 AM.

Great thread.... some good responses. Probably a million different ways to describe how to do a bottom turn.

I think maybe you're stressing too much on where everyone else puts their arms and such. Your arms, hands, head etc... are all used to balance your body and everyone's body is different. Kind of like every unique style of walking. It just boils down to balance.

Put your arms and hands and other appendages where they need to be to balance you throughout doing the maneuver.

What is very crucial is that you always look to where you are going. Always point your head and eyes at your destination. This is rule number UNO in learning to surf!

One thing I learned from a surfing coach way back in the day when I was just a grom that I always remember to this day is that your back foot is your rudder. Your front foot is your sail. In other words your back foot is used mainly for steering and the initial directing of the board. Your leading foot provides balance and by moving forward and back can cause drive and stalling.

Personally I find it very hard to describe to someone how to surf or how to do a particular maneuver. To me its just all a feeling. I know when I do a particular maneuver perfectly because it feels really good!

On a sidenote.... to really pull off the perfect bottom turn the absolute key is that you are in the perfect spot going the perfect speed. From there you do just do a little wiggle....

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Waiting on Erock's Mystery Science Theater response once he puts down the Honey-Do List and picks up the Flux Capacitor to give us the formula. Really though, his response should be rich in detail and smelling of rich mahogany.
    Haha, I wish. I've been thinking about how to explain it without working myself into a corner of inexplicableness:

I'm speaking mostly in regards to high performance surfing bottom turns and more specifically a sharp one that will set you up to go vertically off the lip. More drawn out bottom turns probably involve most of the same mechanics but are done slower (in your follow through, board speed should always be fast) and, well, more drawn out.

You're dealing with three dominant forces to create speed. There are other, smaller forces but the main ones are gravity (vertical force), wave force (horizontal force) and inertia (force in whatever direction you have to be going). These are what push you and allow for all those other little forces to work--like planing the hull, getting the foils in your fins to work and create lift, board flexing and other stuff. Any turn you do has one common element: Using all this physicsy stuff so you can change direction while maintaining as much momentum and speed as possible. What's unique to a bottom turn (and a cutback in some instances) is your ability to create more speed by making all the mechanics work together than they would working on their own.... dare I say it?.... SYNERGY (ugh).

This is where my weird pendulum analogy comes in and where I need to add another: the sling shot. Sling shot like the old school kind you twirl around, not a rubber band attached to a couple sticks. These aren't the best analogies because the assumption is the apex of each is fixed.... but you're hopefully moving if you're surfing. So, you're dropping in, getting to the bottom of the wave and need to do a bottom turn to get back up the face because going straight to the beach is lame--here is where you want to become a pendulum (to an extent). You keep your legs bent and make sure your rear leg is really bent, set the board on the rail and start extending your legs. The idea here is you want to get your legs, and therefore your board, moving faster than your center of gravity in an arc back up the face. Don't forget you're progressively leaning into the turn as well (I guess this is what I meant by the z-axis, 3D thing). By the time you're starting to go back up the face you start compressing your legs to catch your upper body up to the board.

I'm not sure this makes one lick of sense and I probably left something really important out, but I hope that helps.

Sorry DPS, we gots no waves and I had to work on the one day of epic swell we've had in a long time.

Images
    Simple, head straight for the beach, when you hit the flats, grab both of your ankles and eye up the next section from between your legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Haha, I wish. I've been thinking about how to explain it without working myself into a corner of inexplicableness:

I'm speaking mostly in regards to high performance surfing bottom turns and more specifically a sharp one that will set you up to go vertically off the lip. More drawn out bottom turns probably involve most of the same mechanics but are done slower (in your follow through, board speed should always be fast) and, well, more drawn out.

You're dealing with three dominant forces to create speed. There are other, smaller forces but the main ones are gravity (vertical force), wave force (horizontal force) and inertia (force in whatever direction you have to be going). These are what push you and allow for all those other little forces to work--like planing the hull, getting the foils in your fins to work and create lift, board flexing and other stuff. Any turn you do has one common element: Using all this physicsy stuff so you can change direction while maintaining as much momentum and speed as possible. What's unique to a bottom turn (and a cutback in some instances) is your ability to create more speed by making all the mechanics work together than they would working on their own.... dare I say it?.... SYNERGY (ugh).

This is where my weird pendulum analogy comes in and where I need to add another: the sling shot. Sling shot like the old school kind you twirl around, not a rubber band attached to a couple sticks. These aren't the best analogies because the assumption is the apex of each is fixed.... but you're hopefully moving if you're surfing. So, you're dropping in, getting to the bottom of the wave and need to do a bottom turn to get back up the face because going straight to the beach is lame--here is where you want to become a pendulum (to an extent). You keep your legs bent and make sure your rear leg is really bent, set the board on the rail and start extending your legs. The idea here is you want to get your legs, and therefore your board, moving faster than your center of gravity in an arc back up the face. Don't forget you're progressively leaning into the turn as well (I guess this is what I meant by the z-axis, 3D thing). By the time you're starting to go back up the face you start compressing your legs to catch your upper body up to the board.

I'm not sure this makes one lick of sense and I probably left something really important out, but I hope that helps.

Sorry DPS, we gots no waves and I had to work on the one day of epic swell we've had in a long time.
    All good, very good explanation, it's so hard to put surfing into words sometimes