LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Why is NJ so good? Seriously.

Every time I see a Surfline feature on the EC, NJ is at least 75%. It looks so dang good man. Why is it so good there. And to think, I thought the #Belmar thing was mockery. Guess not.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/ea...-swell_106671/

2. while nj does get some great barreling surf, I think its more of surfline having alot of contributing photogs and surfers from the mid atlantic. There are places all over the North East that get good surf, some arguably better than Jersey/midatlantic.

Theres quite a few of Cape cod by the way...
    Last edited by surfingwasteland; Feb 16, 2014 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by surfingwasteland View Post
    while nj does get some great barreling surf, I think its more of surfline having alot of contributing photogs and surfers from the mid atlantic. There are places all over the North East that get good surf some, arguably better than Jersey/midatlantic.
    I figured there is some sick spots in the NE/far NE. I am just surprised at the barrels being thrown down in NJ. Maybe it's the jetty setup they got? I know this - Same day, same swell, in DE was a bust. Hit OCMD and found chest high offshore but to think that just a couple hours north it was throwing down sucks.

I did witness a dude break a shred sled in half going off the top. Bad day for him.

4. also remember, the grass is always greener on the other side.

yeah, I am surprised waverhunters doesn't have a package for Belmar or AC

A lot is made of bottom contour, the continental shelf, and how it affects long period swells (over 15 seconds).

What isn't taken into account is how inshore bottom contour and depth affects local storms/shorter period wind swells. The water depths off south Jersey and Delaware are very shallow up to 30-40 miles offshore. You have to go nearly 30-40 miles just to get to 20-30 fathoms of water. No doubt the shallow water and offshore banks (5 fathom bank for example) knocks these local, shorter period swells down in size and power.

In North Jersey, you can get 100 feet of water within a few miles of shore. I have to believe that the deeper water up in north jersey allows these local swells come into shore with much more size and power than they do a little further south.

why the waves are breaking so well is anybody's guess. Even after the sand pumping/beach replenishment, the sandbars are still firing.

Quote Originally Posted by fins369 View Post
    A lot is made of bottom contour, the continental shelf, and how it affects long period swells (over 15 seconds).

What isn't taken into account is how inshore bottom contour and depth affects local storms/shorter period wind swells. The water depths off south Jersey and Delaware are very shallow up to 30-40 miles offshore. You have to go nearly 30-40 miles just to get to 20-30 fathoms of water. No doubt the shallow water and offshore banks (5 fathom bank for example) knocks these local, shorter period swells down in size and power.

In North Jersey, you can get 100 feet of water within a few miles of shore. I have to believe that the deeper water up in north jersey allows these local swells come into shore with much more size and power than they do a little further south.

why the waves are breaking so well is anybody's guess. Even after the sand pumping/beach replenishment, the sandbars are still firing.
    dude the war will never end!!!
    north jersey surfers like myself say down south is way better.south jersey surfers say its better up north.i think we get good quality waves up north,but down south is more consistent.for example,n jers well have maybe 8-12 epic sessions a year.down south like lbi,oc,ac they get more swells or idfreekin know.they have better sandbars down there.north jersey sucks,its all closeouts,please don't come here.belmar is a myth!!id rather surf cape cod

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    dude the war will never end!!!
    north jersey surfers like myself say down south is way better.south jersey surfers say its better up north.i think we get good quality waves up north,but down south is more consistent.for example,n jers well have maybe 8-12 epic sessions a year.down south like lbi,oc,ac they get more swells or idfreekin know.they have better sandbars down there.north jersey sucks,its all closeouts,please don't come here.belmar is a myth!!id rather surf cape cod

I'm not on either side of the "war". I've lived in both sides, and I can tell you the waves from LBI to Sandy Hook have more size and power. I have 20 years of experience in this state backing this up. And it's virtually impossible for one to be more consistent. This isn't northern versus south California, where there is 1000 miles of coastline between the two. We are talking about a 100 mile strip of land. 9 times out of ten, the wind strength/storm system is the same for the entire state.

The one difference is water depth off the coast.

Some people from northern MoCo think the south gets better surf, but that is usually due to some swell angles not getting in to the far northern corner of the state. But as someone who surfed for 15 years in southern Jersey, and 5 in the southern monmouth/northern ocean county, there isn't a single doubt in my mind it is, on the same swell, bigger and more powerful in northern Jersey.

couple of things to point out. Look how many south Jersey pros have been making the trip up to Bay Head to surf these storms....

Look at the peak swell height for the buoy off maryland versus one of the north jersey ones. Swells are always bigger at the northern buoys.

Quote Originally Posted by fins369 View Post
    Look how many south Jersey pros have been making the trip up to Bay Head to surf these storms....
    a lot of that has to do w/ wind direction as well. when i make the trip, the main reason is b/c the wind direction is more favorable up north than my hometown on that particular day/swell. i've had days where wind direction was more favorable for up north in the morning & for the south in the afternoon. drive up at first light, surf for a few hours, grab lunch, drive south, surf some more.

Smile Its baaaack

my fav spot in somoco - wrecked by beach pumping on xmas day - has come home to
    popa…took 6 weeks and the wave is still a little fat/dumpy…but 4sure its back. phew!

that swell was CREAMED by a non-cooperative morning tidal situation….but the
    swell at least in some form lasted the day…..holy schmidt MOON RISE!