LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    I think a big part of the flood of NJ pics and vids is because of the pretty substantial amount of dedicated surfers with year round amp for waves. In the marine corps I caught a ton of bs cuz I was from jersey and dudes assumed we were all dbs and localistic cavemen. But over last few years I've surfed in north central jersey and 9 out of 10 dudes in the water are pleasant and generally happy to be surfing, respectful of position, and most share waves. However, that small % of complete Richards seem to really ruin the good vibe in the water. But that's been a small % of the time and they are usually out of state or foreign (Brazilian). Hope the positive feelings remain.

Quote Originally Posted by fins369 View Post
    A lot is made of bottom contour, the continental shelf, and how it affects long period swells (over 15 seconds).

What isn't taken into account is how inshore bottom contour and depth affects local storms/shorter period wind swells. The water depths off south Jersey and Delaware are very shallow up to 30-40 miles offshore. You have to go nearly 30-40 miles just to get to 20-30 fathoms of water. No doubt the shallow water and offshore banks (5 fathom bank for example) knocks these local, shorter period swells down in size and power.

In North Jersey, you can get 100 feet of water within a few miles of shore. I have to believe that the deeper water up in north jersey allows these local swells come into shore with much more size and power than they do a little further south.

why the waves are breaking so well is anybody's guess. Even after the sand pumping/beach replenishment, the sandbars are still firing.
    dude the war will never end!!!
    north jersey surfers like myself say down south is way better.south jersey surfers say its better up north.i think we get good quality waves up north,but down south is more consistent.for example,n jers well have maybe 8-12 epic sessions a year.down south like lbi,oc,ac they get more swells or idfreekin know.they have better sandbars down there.north jersey sucks,its all closeouts,please don't come here.belmar is a myth!!id rather surf cape cod

I think the deeper water offshore is a key factor... like the others have said.

As for the North vs. South Jersey debate, summertime, tiny, hard angled localized south windswells do give the guys down south a few more ridable days during the doldrum months. But when it counts... Fall, Winter, and Spring, North Jersey size and power has it, hands down.

I'd say this has been an exceptional season, though. It's not every year that it's this consistent. I think the bottom line is... we've just been lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    dude the war will never end!!!
    north jersey surfers like myself say down south is way better.south jersey surfers say its better up north.i think we get good quality waves up north,but down south is more consistent.for example,n jers well have maybe 8-12 epic sessions a year.down south like lbi,oc,ac they get more swells or idfreekin know.they have better sandbars down there.north jersey sucks,its all closeouts,please don't come here.belmar is a myth!!id rather surf cape cod

I'm not on either side of the "war". I've lived in both sides, and I can tell you the waves from LBI to Sandy Hook have more size and power. I have 20 years of experience in this state backing this up. And it's virtually impossible for one to be more consistent. This isn't northern versus south California, where there is 1000 miles of coastline between the two. We are talking about a 100 mile strip of land. 9 times out of ten, the wind strength/storm system is the same for the entire state.

The one difference is water depth off the coast.

Some people from northern MoCo think the south gets better surf, but that is usually due to some swell angles not getting in to the far northern corner of the state. But as someone who surfed for 15 years in southern Jersey, and 5 in the southern monmouth/northern ocean county, there isn't a single doubt in my mind it is, on the same swell, bigger and more powerful in northern Jersey.

couple of things to point out. Look how many south Jersey pros have been making the trip up to Bay Head to surf these storms....

Look at the peak swell height for the buoy off maryland versus one of the north jersey ones. Swells are always bigger at the northern buoys.

Quote Originally Posted by fins369 View Post
    Look how many south Jersey pros have been making the trip up to Bay Head to surf these storms....
    a lot of that has to do w/ wind direction as well. when i make the trip, the main reason is b/c the wind direction is more favorable up north than my hometown on that particular day/swell. i've had days where wind direction was more favorable for up north in the morning & for the south in the afternoon. drive up at first light, surf for a few hours, grab lunch, drive south, surf some more.

Smile Its baaaack

my fav spot in somoco - wrecked by beach pumping on xmas day - has come home to
    popa…took 6 weeks and the wave is still a little fat/dumpy…but 4sure its back. phew!

that swell was CREAMED by a non-cooperative morning tidal situation….but the
    swell at least in some form lasted the day…..holy schmidt MOON RISE!

Images
    I made a previous thread about this last year titled "NJ=Overrated?." That got so many people fired up. I think it was like 50 or some kooky number long.
    Last edited by RIsurfer; Feb 16, 2014 at 09:35 PM.

Images
    Jersey has better surf then SE NC (no, not Hatteras but everything below). I paddle out in AC every couple of years and am always amazed at the difference. more juice in NJ, for sure.

Images
    New Jersey has a fairly large coastline with a lot of good surf spots. It also has a lot of surfers, which isn't surprising, since New Jersey has the most dense population in the country (although, mostly in N Jersey). In any case, its hard to compare one state to another. Every dog has its day, and their are a lot of good spots all over the East Coast.

I have lived in New Jersey, and have traveled most of the East Coast. I wouldn't argue with someone if they wanted to rank NJ as the top state on the East Coast for good surf.

Maybe It is just photogenic then. I still want to surf in South Jerz some day