LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cold weather ding repair

Hi all,

My first thread, I checked for others on this topic but didn't have much luck. I've read and laughed at plenty of responses to questions on here so I'm ready for the mockery if it comes...

Put the first ding in a new board yesterday, and of course it was while taking it out of the truck and not actually surfing. I've repaired dings in the past, but I'm from the south where warm days pop up even in February, and now live in NY where winter never seems to end. Anyone have any pointers on repairing dings in cold weather? I have a shed where I could probably plug in a few heaters to warm up a bit, but I'm worried about how many braincells I will lose in the process of repairing indoors. Thoughts?

Thanks

Well, if you're using a sun cure product, you are SOL! Unless you get a UV equivalent lamp . . .

I've been doing some ding repairs in my garage this winter and, whenever possible, have generally targeted those days where temps are approaching 50F. A couple of questions: Where on your board is the ding? How big is it?

With any of the sun cure products, Solarez comes to mind, the cold shouldn't be a problem. Just need sunlight. Unless It's a heck of ding; you didn't run over your board with your truck did you??

The rail is cracked, bumped it on the door frame and thought something didn't sound right. It's not a big deal, but I will probably have to dig out the fiberglass a bit and create a small hole. I noticed it before I got in the water so no real damage done. I thought about using suncure instead of Q-cell thinking it might cure better in the cold and then applying resin/patch/and hot coat as usual inside?

Put a sticker on it until this un-relentless friggin snow stops coming - in Spring dig it out and repair it proper.
    Do not use ducktape!! Use a vinyl sticker. Maybe Hello Kitty? lol.

Goofy Footer has a good idea, especially if your repair environment is persistently cold (sub-50F). If you really are itching do fix it now, I'd suggest that you might cut it out only as much as necessary, then fill it with UV cure resin. They're selling this kit now that has a UV pen (i.e no sunlight necessary, kinda like teeth bleaching kits - Jersey Boyeez know all about those): http://www.trioceansurf.co.uk/surf-s...t-with-uv-pen/

After you fill it and sand it, you can laminate your cloth patch with low odor epoxy resin and let it cure inside your house. I've been working with the the stuff they sell on FOAM-ez: http://www.foamez.com/ez-epoxy-6oz-kit-p-645.html

There's hardly any noticeable smell compared to standard Poly resin.

Is your board epoxy or poly. Low fumes on most epoxies but not the same for poly. Also both resins need warmth to activate. I'm sure a heated shed is fine just wear mask and maybe keep door open while laminating. Then close door and crank heater upon exiting the premise. That's what I do.

Epoxy will laminate and repair epoxy and polyester boards but poly only fixes poly and will not key into epoxy. I'm sure you know this.

Aluminum foil tape. Get a roll at any decent hardware supply store. It's waterproof when applied flush with the board's edges. Far more effective than most stickers and way easier to remove.

The uv resins still need to be warm to kick in any reasonable amount of time. I fixed some dings on one of my boards last month on a mostly sunny 50deg day and still needed to put it in my greenhouse after over an hour and still soft and tacky.

Get a greenhouse?