LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Is that duck at the DE break you 'gave away' which so enraged some doods?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Is that duck at the DE break you 'gave away' which so enraged some doods?
    Yes!!!! There's a whole flock of them at this certain break, or at least on the other side of the jetty and when they all take off together and fly, the beating of their wings makes a whistling noise that's quite beautiful.

There are also bufflehead and surf scoter out there in the 30 something degree frickin' freezing cold water!
    Last edited by Juliaep; Feb 19, 2014 at 09:12 PM.

They are probably quite tasty but a lot of trouble for some itty bitty breast filets. Fish are much more worth the effort and easier and less dangerous to drink beer while attempting to procure. Shotguns hurt more than fish hooks in case of the inevitable drunken mishap.

Images
    Beautiful creature there. I'd like that guy drop in on me

Images
    I have Mallard Ducks in my neighborhood. These guys are pretty cool.
    http://www.xromm.org/files/images/pr...llardDucks.jpg

Used to have mallards nesting all along the sound side canals in the OBX area, but they've disappeared due to shore development and addition of bulkheads. 20-25 yrs ago there were more ducks than locals along those shores

Quote Originally Posted by Juliaep View Post
    Yes!!!! There's a whole flock of them at this certain break, or at least on the other side of the jetty and when they all take off together and fly, the beating of their wings makes a whistling noise that's quite beautiful.

There are also bufflehead and surf scoter out there in the 30 something degree frickin' freezing cold water!
    If its same pod @ the same break, a pod of few thousand mix of sea ducks, divers and ruddy's, heard them before I saw them, they make a humming burring sound while they're resting on the water. Sea Ducks amazing swimmers, they use their wings as well as their feet which allows them to swim under water some distance feeding on small bait fish.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy footer View Post
    If its same pod @ the same break, a pod of few thousand mix of sea ducks, divers and ruddy's, heard them before I saw them, they make a humming burring sound while they're resting on the water. Sea Ducks amazing swimmers, they use their wings as well as their feet which allows them to swim under water some distance feeding on small bait fish.
    That's pretty cool stuff. Seriously, thanks G-Man

I haven't duck hunted since my kids were born... almost 20 years. But I used to duck hunt a LOT as a young man, and never shot a sea duck of any kind that I liked to eat. Teal and woodies were best, IMO. But I'm picky about ducks... unless you go out to PA or something, and shoot 'em in a corn field. Then they all taste good.

Wink OLDSQUAW (long tailed duck)

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    I haven't duck hunted since my kids were born... almost 20 years. But I used to duck hunt a LOT as a young man, and never shot a sea duck of any kind that I liked to eat. Teal and woodies were best, IMO. But I'm picky about ducks... unless you go out to PA or something, and shoot 'em in a corn field. Then they all taste good.
    though legal game this specie (LTDUCK) is quite clever with respect to hunters as
    such THEY ARE ALMOST NEVER SHOT…i know they get 'em here and there, but as a
    40 year waterfowler i haven't gotten one yet…another difficult behavior is they tend to
    arrive on the scene THE DAY AFTER the season closes. tough get around dat.

another interesting thing is that they seem to enjoy the company of surfers. i think
    they think we are ducks until they pay closer attention…i surfed today and called one
    in with a soft bbbrrrrruuuppppp minor lip flap….circled twice!