LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tide Clock

Images

Tide Clock

anybody own one? curious as to how accurate it stays for you...

got a TideKeeper for Christmas...set it to my local tides in December, but would find that, after a few days/week, it would be off by an hour or so.

i sent it back, they replaced it, i reset it. but the new one seems to drift a little bit too, a few minutes in a couple of days.

maybe i'm expecting too much? but if i have to keep looking at the tide charts, seems pointless to own a tide clock.

i got a cheap one on ebay 5 or 6 years ago for like $30. same deal, i have to adjust it every month or so. i'm actually impressed that mine still works being that its so flimsy and cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-10-TT01-...df687e&vxp=mtr

I got a cheap one 3 years ago. Twenty bucks or so on Amazon. It's pretty accurate. I adjust it every couple of weeks. A friend much smarter than me attempted to explain the mechanism inside. With what little I understood I was surprised it was as accurate as it is. Your tide clock is a better decoration piece than mine, hanna.Whoever got it for you was at least keeping your interests in mind!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CBSCREWBY View Post
    I got a cheap one 3 years ago. Twenty bucks or so on Amazon. It's pretty accurate. I adjust it every couple of weeks. A friend much smarter than me attempted to explain the mechanism inside. With what little I understood I was surprised it was as accurate as it is. Your tide clock is a better decoration piece than mine, hanna.Whoever got it for you was at least keeping your interests in mind!
    looks better in the picture, actually - faux brass and all that. and the mechanism inside is just a little plastic gear box. doubt if it costs more than $10 to manufacture.

oh well, guess i'm expecting a bit much from the accuracy. some of our local breaks will have a short window of surfability under certain conditions, on one side of low tide or the other, that make the accuracy important. thought a tide clock would be useful but if you know it's off, then you're back to checking tide charts.

I bought a Weams and Plath tide clock about 3 years ago. Until recently it work well (adjustments ~1hr/3-4 months). I like just glancing at it as I walk by instead of looking up the chart and making adjustments for my location. During recent cold spell it started going way off (hrs/week). I changed the battery but did not seem to help. I may send it back and see what they do.

I've had one for years...seems pretty accurate, but for best results you need to set it on a full moon tide.

Tides are predicted, not foretold. Wind, current, and proximity to inlets changes the exact timing. It is best each full moon to update your tidalometerfluxcapacitor by direct observation at your local beach. During said full moons, it is also best to avoid psycho women and barracudas. They get extra aggro during the full moon.

Images
    I got one on my watch for Belmar,Nj- it's spot on

I brought mine inside and it is now working fine. Perhaps the cold or humidity affected it on the porch.

Images
    I got my shark freestyle watch! Good enough for me!shark-tide-blue.jpg There is a classic tide clock at my cottage in maine that we go to every summer. Heres what it looks like:gl180ttbts__67257.1303152963.1280.1280.jpg