LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

foul smelling booties

I've washed my booties with soap and fresh water...but they still seem to reek...any ideas how i can get rid of the smell? febreeze did not thing also

Dont let em just air dry. Rinse with fresh water after every surf and put em in front of a fan with the opening against the grill so the air blows inside and drys them quicker every time you surf. Unless they are old then it's probably too late. The smell seems to come from them sitting around wet because the inside takes long to dry. Maybe mold/mildew or something.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rDJ View Post
    Dont let em just air dry. Rinse with fresh water after every surf and put em in front of a fan with the opening against the grill so the air blows inside and drys them quicker every time you surf. Unless they are old then it's probably too late. The smell seems to come from them sitting around wet because the inside takes long to dry. Maybe mold/mildew or something.

Or pee.

To the OP try soaking them in some diluted vinegar. Or with some lemons. This works wonders. I have tried countless times with detergent and it helps but it seems not to get rid of the smell all together. I find that the vinegar actually works.
    Last edited by Aguaholic; Jun 25, 2008 at 07:52 PM.

All i know is to never try to fix a wetsuit rip with super glue. I had a little tear in one of my boots and tried to put a little super glue on it. It started to smoke and smell really bad. After it dried there was a crystallized piece of glue in the book that felt like needles. Needless to say i had to get new booties.

Images
    ROFL....super glue? HAhahaha

This what i use....and it works wonders.

They stink because of bacteria so you must kill that for the smell to vanish. Boiling water, the dishwasher or the microwave work wonders. If you have surfer booties with rubber avoid the microwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguaholic View Post
    ROFL....super glue? HAhahaha

This what i use....and it works wonders.
    Yeah, it would have been nice to have some of that on hand. Too early in the morning to pick any up and in the end, probably needed new boots anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ripper4184 View Post
    I've washed my booties with soap and fresh water...but they still seem to reek...any ideas how i can get rid of the smell? febreeze did not thing also
    big bucket of water with about 1/2 cup bleach fully mixed in. A soak overnight in this mix once a month or so will work. Big enough bucket and you can hit the wettie and gloves all at the same time.

Images
    you could use wetsuit shampoo... smells nice and really does the job well if you put the suit/booties/gloves in the tub and fill 'er up to soak for like 30 mins or so... cut the stank in half after the first time, after next time it smelled almost new

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by South Bethany View Post
    big bucket of water with about 1/2 cup bleach fully mixed in. A soak overnight in this mix once a month or so will work. Big enough bucket and you can hit the wettie and gloves all at the same time.
    Well, I wouldn't use bleach....seen it done...bad idea.....it can void your warranty and degrade the neoprene. But as far as soaking them in a 5 gallon bucket. Get some dish detergent and dilute it in water. Maybe a little vinegar....You might want to put something in them too to anchor them down in the bucket since they will float.

Vinegar works.....It's been done for years.
    Last edited by Aguaholic; Jun 25, 2008 at 06:46 PM.