LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

East Coast Winters

So I'm a surfer from New Jersey who was recently assigned an informative speech. In order for me to not want to pry my eyes out doing this project and research, I wanted to talk about something that actually sparked my interest. Surfing.

This got me thinking, everyone knows about the idealized version of surfing. Ya know, a pretty Hawaiian day, sun shining, salt water looming in the air, and of course a heavy-set Hawaiian man named Titto is in the background strumming a ukulele. Perfect waves 8-10ft waves, peeling down the line like never before. Oh, and it's sunset. It's always sunset.

But no one knows about winter surfing on the east coast.. unless you are involved yourself. Now, I'm going into the speech assuming everyone in the room is an absolute kook who has never touched anything other than a "boogie board". (This is a combination of me generalizing, and also following my professor's orders, which is to assume no one knows anything about your topic.)

Any who, my 2 main points for this speech is how someone would surfing in these horrendous conditions that winter on the east coast present, and why they would do so.

I'm pretty set for the 'how', as it would simply be to put a wettie on and suck it up. But the 'why' is where I'm stumped. Obviously the east coast, at least NJ, is primarily dead in the warm months. And then in the winter, a switch gets flipped and abracadabra, there are waves!

Now my question, and I apologize for this being so long, is simply why does this happen. Why does the proverbial "switch" get flipped? What happens in the weather, in the water, and in the air?

If you guys or gals could answer that for me, that would be phenomenal. Thank you!

Jet Stream completely shifts.
    Air masses collide differently.
    The south stays warm in the winter, North gets cold, this year friggin cold - and the line between the two causes the ocean to come alive.

I have lots of reasons I surf NJ all year. One of the main reasons for surfing in winter - no life guards! Nothing sucks butt more than 100 people jammed into a 50 foot "surfing" area - the main irony being - it's to keep people safe! lol!

Thanks man! I appreciate it. Where in NJ do you typically surf?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    this year friggin cold
    Tell me about it!!! The water's never going to warm up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    Jet Stream completely shifts.
    Air masses collide differently.
    The south stays warm in the winter, North gets cold, this year friggin cold - and the line between the two causes the ocean to come alive.

I have lots of reasons I surf NJ all year. One of the main reasons for surfing in winter - no life guards! Nothing sucks butt more than 100 people jammed into a 50 foot "surfing" area - the main irony being - it's to keep people safe! lol!
    yea that's another thing I forgot to mention.no lifegaurds.they are ants at a picnic.surfers get hassled by these mini hasselhoffs all summer long.u have to pay 10 bucks to get on the beach,then ur allowed to surf between 2 jettys with 100 other people out.summer sucks on the eastcoast.I hope winter never ends

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    yea that's another thing I forgot to mention.no lifegaurds.they are ants at a picnic.surfers get hassled by these mini hasselhoffs all summer long.u have to pay 10 bucks to get on the beach,then ur allowed to surf between 2 jettys with 100 other people out.summer sucks on the eastcoast.I hope winter never ends
    at my second favorite beach in nj the beach badge is $100 p/summer. and the Lg's say whoa dude NO SURF!

Quote Originally Posted by ncardillo View Post
    So I'm a surfer from New Jersey who was recently assigned an informative speech. In order for me to not want to pry my eyes out doing this project and research, I wanted to talk about something that actually sparked my interest. Surfing.

This got me thinking, everyone knows about the idealized version of surfing. Ya know, a pretty Hawaiian day, sun shining, salt water looming in the air, and of course a heavy-set Hawaiian man named Titto is in the background strumming a ukulele. Perfect waves 8-10ft waves, peeling down the line like never before. Oh, and it's sunset. It's always sunset.

But no one knows about winter surfing on the east coast.. unless you are involved yourself. Now, I'm going into the speech assuming everyone in the room is an absolute kook who has never touched anything other than a "boogie board". (This is a combination of me generalizing, and also following my professor's orders, which is to assume no one knows anything about your topic.)

Any who, my 2 main points for this speech is how someone would surfing in these horrendous conditions that winter on the east coast present, and why they would do so.

I'm pretty set for the 'how', as it would simply be to put a wettie on and suck it up. But the 'why' is where I'm stumped. Obviously the east coast, at least NJ, is primarily dead in the warm months. And then in the winter, a switch gets flipped and abracadabra, there are waves!

Now my question, and I apologize for this being so long, is simply why does this happen. Why does the proverbial "switch" get flipped? What happens in the weather, in the water, and in the air?

If you guys or gals could answer that for me, that would be phenomenal. Thank you!
    why???!!!

the waves I tell ya!!!!!!!!

people aren't going surfing in the dead of winter to impress chicks or seem special.most of the time theres nobody in sight,nobodys watching.they surf because they love to surf,and we get our best waves in the winter time.after going through summer we look forward to winter.real surfers on the eastcoast pray for winter,not summer.this aint cali or Hawaii where the suns shining and babes all around.this is 25 degree 40 knot wind 2 dgree windchill kinda day.

winter surfing isn't some underground club u speak of.we are never hidden.just go to the beach after the next time it snows

"winter surfing isn't some underground club u speak of.we are never hidden.just go to the beach after the next time it snows"[/QUOTE]

To an average-non surfer? Pretty unheard of.. That's why you have ABC and FOX news writing articles and reporting on-air about surfers headed into the water. I'll be sure to invite my public speaking class with me next time I chase a swell this winter again..

Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
    Wow! I just read an article about beach access in New Jersey. I had no idea that you have to pay to get on the beach up there. That is Bullshjt. Yall have got it rough up there. I feel for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipsmacker View Post
    Wow! I just read an article about beach access in New Jersey. I had no idea that you have to pay to get on the beach up there. That is Bullshjt. Yall have got it rough up there. I feel for ya.
    Only in summer, and only when the guards are on duty.
    There's easy ways to sneak on most beaches. Usually 16 year old girls working the entrances that don't give a crap.