LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 105

Thread: Calii forecast

  1. #21
    No thanks bro. Chicks dig it more when you're erect anyway.

    Pretty stoked to get to the PNW tomorrow. Looks like they're getting plenty of love all weekend. Just need to bring the right stick.

  2. #22
    The other thing you'll notice is catching waves. If you go out at matunuck, you'll get outpaddled for every wave. The surfers on their longboards will come from behind you and paddle into the wave. It's like if everyone was on a sup and you on a shorboard. You have to be close to where the wave is breaking. Matunuck is just a bad wave anyway for bodyboarding. Way Too slow/shallow drop/hard to get into.

    It's funny, because the first time I saw it, my jaw nearly dropped how perfect it looked(hollow, rides go on forever) Until I rode that is.

    I've been on VERY mushy waves that are twice as fast and are great fun. Not matunuck. Matunuck is world class though for longboards, but not a good wave at all for bodyboarding
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Mar 4, 2014 at 02:37 PM.

  3. #23
    I've got a low opinion on LB etiquette for all of Rhodey. One man's opinion, but across a few dozen sessions of data.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    5,332
    Images
    6
    Saw some pics of La Jolla absolutely bombing, looked like a big wave spot.

    As far as this paddling debate, my .02 is as follows...for me, in terms of just paddling, it's a tad easier to gain momentum(again, in terms of just using my arms) on a shortboard. In terms of actually paddling out, idk, I guess it's what you're used to, but I'm way more at home on my sponge. I can duck dive deeper, have the benefit of my fins if I have to jam to get outside, or if it's a mellow day I'll just cruise on the paddle and give my legs a break. I feel way more amphibious and I like that.

    I will say that I rode a log a bit in the summer time, and I did not like the feeling of that. Not knocking longboarding, I think it's awesome, just felt like I was backing up a friggin oil tanker when putting myself in position. Think I'm gonna get myself a fish for the gutless summer stuff.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    5,332
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Chicks dig it.
    Is that why you're surfing brah?

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Saw some pics of La Jolla absolutely bombing, looked like a big wave spot.

    As far as this paddling debate, my .02 is as follows...for me, in terms of just paddling, it's a tad easier to gain momentum(again, in terms of just using my arms) on a shortboard. In terms of actually paddling out, idk, I guess it's what you're used to, but I'm way more at home on my sponge. I can duck dive deeper, have the benefit of my fins if I have to jam to get outside, or if it's a mellow day I'll just cruise on the paddle and give my legs a break. I feel way more amphibious and I like that.

    I will say that I rode a log a bit in the summer time, and I did not like the feeling of that. Not knocking longboarding, I think it's awesome, just felt like I was backing up a friggin oil tanker when putting myself in position. Think I'm gonna get myself a fish for the gutless summer stuff.
    Seldom. Have two people of somewhat equal ability race side by side. One experienced person on a longboard and one on a bodyboard. We all know who will win that! If it's a circle, the longboard guy would probably lap the bodyboarder. That being said, I LOVE bodyboarding. I feel attached to the ocean/part of the wave. Every wave is overhead. I even find it fun paddling with my fins at the start of the session!(just wish I didn't get exhaused so quick). I know the amphibious feeling you're talking about. Buy my favorite part is the riding of the wave obviously. If I was rich, I'd just have someone on a jet ski tow me out. Sort of like a ski lift.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    5,332
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Seldom. Have two people of somewhat equal ability race side by side. One experienced person on a longboard and one on a bodyboard. We all know who will win that! If it's a circle, the longboard guy would probably lap the bodyboarder. That being said, I LOVE bodyboarding. I feel attached to the ocean/part of the wave. Every wave is overhead. I even find it fun paddling with my fins at the start of the session!(just wish I didn't get exhaused so quick). I know the amphibious feeling you're talking about. Buy my favorite part is the riding of the wave obviously. If I was rich, I'd just have someone on a jet ski tow me out. Sort of like a ski lift.
    Absolutely...paddling race LB will win hands down. I just prefer the actual 'paddle out' on me sponge.

  8. #28
    When you surfers talk about enjoying a tough paddle out or having a tough time getting out. Just remember it's twice as difficult on a sponge.

  9. #29
    Gotcha.. I was just assuming with the fins and the small board it would be easier to punch through on big days...
    It's much easier to get out on a shorty than a LB on a big day.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    . I just prefer the actual 'paddle out' on me sponge.
    I do to at the beginning. After an hour I'm ready for my personal jet ski to pull out to the lineup especially since I like to ride the wave almost all the way in. Sometimes even sliding on the sand is fun especially when you caught the wave all the way outside and it's so powerful it takes you right on shore!