Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steep Drops

Steep Drops

Today in NY the waves were well overhead and steep, and i had a bit of trouble getting in and making the drop(partly because i was on a 5'10 and should have been on a step up). What are some tips to not go over the falls constantly.

You can still get into overhead waves on a 5'10". Kelly surfs Pipe on a 4'6". Just slide your body a little farther back on the board during the takeoff. Also, wear a condom underneath your suite.

one tip is to do a intro thread

Quote Originally Posted by Panhandler View Post
    one tip is to do a intro thread
    My old account wasn't letting me log in. Im not new

I am, so welcomme back

Quote Originally Posted by cjl123 View Post
    Today in NY the waves were well overhead and steep, and i had a bit of trouble getting in and making the drop(partly because i was on a 5'10 and should have been on a step up). What are some tips to not go over the falls constantly.
    Have to really want that wave, total commitment, hypothesis is that cold water had something to do with it ?

And possibly a heavy wetsuit, weighing ya down

agree with total commitment. Weight forward. Front foot stomp.

Go left or right and not straight to the beach.. stay low and go fast! always put the closest foot forward do proper sand reconne and have your leash knot inspected for proper tying technique. all this should get you goin in no time.

Images
    You just gotta go...

And practice...

... And on the job training

These things will help you make the steep drops.

Oh ya, close outs can be a hindrance and make you lose sense of your judgement