LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Lbcrew and I are exactly the same size and close in age, I'm 48. When I was riding the 5'5" I was over 200 lbs and I was riding it in knee high surf and took it out in Hurricane Bill clean up during the morning high tide. I remember some of regulars laughing when I paddled out saying ok we gotta see this. They backed off on a set wave just to see me eat it. I made the takeoff on a well over head wave, nailed the bottom turn and rode it too the beach. Got at least 5 big turns on that wave. When I paddled back out they said ok we believe.

It's basically a Mafia commissioned surfboard so if you have any biases against certain surfboard shapes, fuhgeddaboudit.

They're fast and loose but not in an unbalanced sense. They're easy to paddle and I feel as though I can paddle my 5'4 twin faster than my LB but I can't imagine that's actually true, but it has that sort of feeling. There's a great flow in how they ride... (my favorite attribute) and they turn very easily but twins can slide if you push too hard and don't have enough rail in the water. Feels like a LB at times but turns on a dime and makes summer closeouts worth entering.

I've ridden two Bauguess Simmonzezes. A 5'3 twin and a 5'8 quad. I'm not sure of the dims but the 5'3 was a stock board. The 5'8 was thinner throughout and for some reason didn't paddle or turn as well. It's a shape you can't fully appreciate in only a few sessions and I think my dislike of the quad was because I rode and fell in love with the 5'3 a few days earlier. The 5'8 was nice board but felt a little clunky... could have been the length, the fins, or me. Dunno. I need more experience on the quads but with these boards I say the shorter the better.

The Bauguess boards had none of the slide and rail issues (corky, tough to dig) that I've seen on others, including my own creation, and I think that boils down to the time, effort and experience he has with getting all the proportions correct. This is after all a shape that has very rigid design constraints. That being said I think it's a great shape to experiment with.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    You surf long enough, you will meet your idols and your enemies. You will be in the lineup with people who are the Champions of the World. There is no other arena or activity that I know of where you or I can step into the same liquid as the very best.
    QFT.

Call or email Joe Bauguess. Ask questions.

What other shapes are you considering?

Man, outstanding feedback! Lb crew, zippy, thanks for the details on rail shape, tails and lengths. I'm 35 and 6-6 240 lbs. I surf a 6-6 x 20 1/2 x 3 fish/shortboard hybrid mostly now. I was thinking for the mini going 6-2 to 6-6 and letting my shaper make the call I. The other dimensions. Maybe 22-23 wide and 3 thick?

Dpsup, appreciate the concern but I just hear too much good about these minis not to be intrigued. My buddy got one in cot and his surfing has really progressed.

I'll let you guys know what I end up getting.

novelty board. try a fish

The kcuf are yall talking about? a "simmons" has to be a twin.
    people get a square/squash tail round nose shorty, put quads on it, and call it something that isn't anything like what simmons was about.
    For your advice on the new board. get a little fish. get whatever you want, but don't call anything a simmons anything. cause it's not. . .

He was about MINIMAL FRICTION and wing foiled keel fins. near convex bottom contours, and full rails

Surfing does not need to be overanalyzed like this. just get on a board and ride.

doesn't feel right? try surfing more. and more. and more.

twinnies are titties. wana know a secret?
    5'0x171/4x21'x183/4x2/38'
    FAT WHALE TAIL x TWIN KEELS x NO LEASH = touristapocalypse101

Canadians beware

find a local shaper and try before you buy. thats what i did when i was intrigued with mini simmons shape. i borrowed one for 2 weeks, got a few sessions in knee high, and a few in waist to chest. SOLD! i'm a fan, have had mine for 2+ yrs and its a go to board in my quiver of 4.

Quote Originally Posted by rvb View Post
    find a local shaper and try before you buy. thats what i did when i was intrigued with mini simmons shape. i borrowed one for 2 weeks, got a few sessions in knee high, and a few in waist to chest. SOLD! i'm a fan, have had mine for 2+ yrs and its a go to board in my quiver of 4.
    Bingo. The fine crew here at SI gave me some great advice and I met some local shapers in the Wilimington area. Next time I go down I'm demo'ing a mini-simmons and a fish or two. They can tell who's serious and who's a kook and will let you take something out.

Was going to try some out this weekend but so far those plans got smoked. But that's a sob story already played out in another thread.

56oceanracer143432-1[1].jpg
    i bought a 5'8" christenson ocean racer (his take on a minisimmons) two years ago. im 6' around 185-190. have only used it in NJ. i love it. it truly makes those small days surfable and fun, without having to go for a longboard. i like longboarding here and there but i like doing turns a lot more, and the minisimmons allows for this.

from june through august, this is pretty much all i ride. ridden it in onshore slop as well as small knee to waist high clean surf. it doesnt replace a longboard but it definitely fills a gap between a longboard and waist high and up all around board. i find it really useful when the surf is a little bit weak but still knee to waist high, and you just cant get seem to get going with you all around go to board.

it definitely rides a lot different than a shortboard so it might take a little time to get used to. but it is extremely fun to ride.

Bought this from my buddy (pictured) it was way too big for him. He had it ordered up new. I haven't used it yet, or seen it in person for that matter, but it's a JB 7.0. I'm 6'6" and 250lbs and I had to.IMG_8602.jpg Hope to use it on points and reefs. He said it's stupid fast and would outrun sections very quickly and turned VERY well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    Dpsup, appreciate the concern but I just hear too much good about these minis not to be intrigued. My buddy got one in cot and his surfing has really progressed.
    All good dude, met your buddy and his board was sick. I was more referring to the size board these guys were recommending, I know you've got the chops to surf whatever you put your mind to, but when I see guys suggesting you get something way under 6' when you're 6'6 240 I wonder, but hey it might be doable with the right shaper, IDK. I guess you could always resell it if you don't click with it. Good luck in your search!