LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    All good dude, met your buddy and his board was sick. I was more referring to the size board these guys were recommending, I know you've got the chops to surf whatever you put your mind to, but when I see guys suggesting you get something way under 6' when you're 6'6 240 I wonder, but hey it might be doable with the right shaper, IDK. I guess you could always resell it if you don't click with it. Good luck in your search!
    I agree, you don't want to go too far from your height when considering the board length. I'll chime in again once I've had a go out or two.

Extremely flat, extremely wide boards... especially in the tail... with fins all the way back and out on the rail become very stiff when you start to add length, when compared to what you're used to riding. That's how you can go really short... it's what keeps them loose. This theory applies to all short, flat, wide designs, including retro fish. The deep swallow gives some relief on the fish, but reduced planing area and short rail line is the basic, foundation concept behind these kinds of boards.

I had a session on a 5-8 in nice 2ft @ 12 groundswell today. The mini caught waves almost like my 6-6 fish/shortboard hybrid. I'm thinking a 6-0 might be my go to size. Would still like an easier paddling board since I am a pretty big guy. Stoked on how it surfed. The speed blew me away! I'm shocked a board that small worked at all for me. Heading to the shaper soon. I'll update the thread when it's done.

Thanks for the contributions and sick board pics.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    I am brainstorming on my next surfboard and my buddy is strongly suggesting a mini-simmons, specifically a quad mini. I've seen some info on the SI forum and on Swaylocks, but it's mostly related to design which I really don't fully grasp. Can anyone comment on how the mini surfs? What are the best attributes of this shape and what are the limitations? Any suggestion for fin set ups?
    I've had three. All 5'7" x 22" x 2 3/8" The variations have been in the tail width and fin setup. The wide square tail and low rocker will give you speed in soft waves you never thought was possible. Faster through mushy waves than any longboard or fish I've ever ridden.

Boards that are 5.5 feet long, 18 inch noses, 22 inches wide, flat rockered with a 16" squared-off tail are at an extreme end of the board spectrum and surf like it. They catch anything resembling a wave, they fly down the line at the slightest hint of a walled up wave no matter how small, and they turn with a lot less control and precision, and with a wider radius than most other boards. They are a handful on a steep drop and in a wave with a critical pocket, which is exactly when you wont be riding one anyways. They also are a pain in choppy waves.

My verdict is I love them all summer long when we get day after day of knee-stomach high wind swell and calm glassy mornings. They eat that stuff up!

Fin setup - I had one with keel fins, and the second two are quads. I prefer the quads because I feel like the quad setup mitigates some of the poor turning qualities inherent in this shape of a board, while the keels sort of contribute to these boards tendency to not want to come around quickly in a turn.

I know a lot of people would just stay home or ride a longboard in tiny waves like this, but for me personally mini simmons make waves this fun when other boards don't, and we get a LOT of days like this in the summer:

Last edited by mitchell; Mar 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    I had a session on a 5-8 in nice 2ft @ 12 groundswell today. The mini caught waves almost like my 6-6 fish/shortboard hybrid. I'm thinking a 6-0 might be my go to size. Would still like an easier paddling board since I am a pretty big guy. Stoked on how it surfed. The speed blew me away! I'm shocked a board that small worked at all for me. Heading to the shaper soon. I'll update the thread when it's done.

Thanks for the contributions and sick board pics.
    Good news bro, go get you one!

Sick! All the feedback is really encouraging. I know some of the posters above suggested that I just get a fish, already have one and I love it just looking to try something new.

KK...
    I know you..surf with you...time to get rid of that grande pesce
    A mystic mini sim from jim dunlop is the right move..
    I have a new one on the table as we speak
    Any doubting thomases..check the footage from the above link of Richard kenvin
    At blacks...

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    They shine in certain situations under the feet of someone who is open minded. They go best in soft face, mushy, slopey waves that are best suited for logs. You can figure them out for bowls and they skim faster than a scalded cat but you have to be standing on the corners to set the rail sometimes. Always end up standing on the leash plug, could not seem to put the plug back far enough. I like mine 5'6" and under with low, thin rails. My fave was a 5'6" x 22.3" x 3" S deck with thin rails (I'm 52 yrs. 165lb and 6'). Surfed the deck off of it. Does what a fish does but better. Straight rails and rocker but you have total access to the last 5" that is off limits on a real fish because of the deep swallow. But my observations might only pertain to my versions of them- .5" tail rocker or less, 3.25" nose bend at the tip, bottom is belly in front and single dish under your feet right through the tail tip. Fins almost parallel 3' from the corners with a 14" tail block. It's a second board at least for soft glassy days with low face angles. One strange thing though, if you ever try to hop to make a section they come to a halt. Just keep S turning the face until it stands up enough to set a rail and the fun really begins. A lot of racier hybrid versions I see popping up here and there look interesting. Usually from the shortboard only shapers (pier phonies, bottom sneezers, mud sharks, soup dragons, rug munchers). But the full tilt wide and square is where I think I like them.
    Any experience riding discs or mini's with slightly pulled in tails? I put a deposit down with the shaper and he's steering me toward a more pulled in tail based on the fact I've been surfing a fish hybrid with a pulled in tail for the last 6 months and he thinks I'll enjoy the manueverability more. Any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by dansan View Post
    KK...
    I know you..surf with you...time to get rid of that grande pesce
    A mystic mini sim from jim dunlop is the right move..
    I have a new one on the table as we speak
    Any doubting thomases..check the footage from the above link of Richard kenvin
    At blacks...
    I took your advice. I have one in the cue too. Very excited! Jim suggested a more pulled in tail? Dan, you have any feedback on those?