LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hws blanks

Images
    Good luck Charles. I'd give one a try.

How bout you just send me that fish. With future boxes tho...

Images
    thanks guys for the comments. right now were working on having a custom fitting made, that we can market along side these hws blanks products and that is a bike tube stem with a thread that can fit into the pre installed vent that goes along with these boards, this will enable people to pressure test with their bike pumps, just pump it up a bit and listen and get your pressure gauge to make sure it can hold pressure.

A hollow wooden product like this can be high risk to the consumer, were trying to completely eliminate that.

the hws blanks fish is technically ready for market but were still solving the at home pressure testing option like I mentioned. aLso a good deal of packaging and branding work is underway. Were also offering a retro single fin, nice and simple, and fun to shape.

Images
    The boards look great Charles.

Chuckles can you explain more of this pump mechanism, is it a shock system for weight applied to deck while surfing? Are there more dowels in the frame than Hess boards (looks like he uses 2) ?

Images
    spicoli, pumping air into the board is used to pressure test the hollow chambered timber surfing vessel. Our blanks are hollow, glued with epoxy, and intended to be waterproofed with oils, were trying to create marketable products that don't rely on the use of glass reinforced resins or other straight resin coating options, however our products can be sealed with resins, which will really make it bullet proof, but its not necessary, and it's ultimately up to the consumer who shapes it. so the pumping of air is to ensure the blank holds its pressure naturally, and so we will be offering, with our products, a specially built valve stem so consumers at home can pump it a few times with the bike pump to make sure its holding pressure.

Our demo blank thats been in use has been very liked and its only got oil keeping the water off the wood, the pressure is held by the wood and glue joinery. We achieve this with a continuous wall thickness of 1/2 inches, which is meaty and robust for hollow wooden boards in general, but this meaty robustness allows the wood to do all the work with ease. its not too heavy either, not super lightweight but a healthy 14 lbs as of now, but since improvements are being made and chambering has been maximized these kit blanks should get to around 12 lbs for a board less than 6 ft.

im not sure what you mean by dowels? I used dowels in my first fish blank during the jig laminating stages but its since been eliminated. What is hess doing with dowels?

Looks like he's got two that go in the middle from rail to rail as framing of sorts. To me they look like dowels. You board cobblers may call then different.

So you find the proper air level and then that's permanently sealed at the time of coating the board with oil or resin? Or does it remain adjustable? Have you experimented with filling these boards with helium or Noz?

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    So you find the proper air level and then that's permanently sealed at the time of coating the board with oil or resin? Or does it remain adjustable? Have you experimented with filling these boards with helium or Noz?
    Emass, I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of pumping air into the board. Charles is pressuizing the cavity of the board to check for any leaks in the seams or the wood itself. Since the air inside the hollow boards will expand and contract with heating and cooling, they are normally equipped with a removable plug that can be opened to equalize the pressure to atmospheric. Charles is just adding a fitting to the plug to allow air to be pumped in for pressure testing.

Your idea to try other gasses in the board is interesting though. It might alter the buoyancy or other characteristics of the board. But I'm no rocket surgeon and have no idea whether there would be enough volume to have any effect or if it is good to have any significant pressure within the board.

BTW, Charles, these look pretty cool. Do you intend on eventually offering fully shaped and finished boards? Your site doesn't mention any pricing. Where do you expect that to be? Hopefully, south of six figures!

Im serious Charles if you wana ship a fish, or fish blank i guess, out here to maui. I'd ride the crap outta it.

Guys I was kidding about the helium and Noz...