LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Hws blanks

Chuck,

I know you're not sending out finished boards but Yank has a good idea about sending the boards on a tour. Maybe send blanks to some shapers on the E and W coast and have them finish then spread the boards around and let multiple people try it. That way you could get feedback\reviews\promo materials from shapers AND from riders instead of just one group or the other. For example if you got say Jimmy Keith\Greg Eavey\Dru McDaniels\etc. to agree to finish one they could shape it for SE NC waves and then all the SE NC\SC folks could give it a whirl. You could eliminate the whole "not shaped right for our waves" argument and would be a good test of the difference in construction and materials and less about the shape.

I'd love to try one of your boards and would give an honest review but I wouldn't trust myself to shape it, I'd probably butcher it. But if you got it in the hands of a local shaper I'd be more than happy to give it a go.

Seeding the marketplace with free stuff is a great way to grow your biz.

Good luck on your biz Chuck.

In all seriousness, Tlokein is right. I would send out some boards to people on SI that have proven they are knowledgeable in board design and have experience in trying different boards in different conditions. NJSURFER42 and EROCK are two names that pop up. I would also send one to your biggest critic, the Yank. Then, you'll get REAL feedback.
    Good luck. I am truly interested in seeing you succeed. You're not acting like the know-all, be-all of board design like a certain jacka$$ on here.

Quote Originally Posted by newenglandflatness View Post
    All free things aside, assuming you have finished a few for yourself, if you're willing to do it, hit me up and I will come up to Southern ME and give one a go when there's a swell running. 100% honest review. I'm sure I'm not the only one willing, you can probably get a few SI locals to come by and give it a shot and get a committee review without paying shipping.

You out there this morning Charles? I'm counting minutes at the desk and hoping it's not down to knee high when I get out.

This doesn't mean I'm not down for a free blank, I am
    Count me in as a local tester. I'm 20 mins away, G.

Quote Originally Posted by ChavezYChavez View Post
    In all seriousness, Tlokein is right. I would send out some boards to people on SI that have proven they are knowledgeable in board design and have experience in trying different boards in different conditions. NJSURFER42 and EROCK are two names that pop up. I would also send one to your biggest critic, the Yank. Then, you'll get REAL feedback.
    Good luck. I am truly interested in seeing you succeed. You're not acting like the know-all, be-all of board design like a certain jacka$$ on here.
    Gracias Chavy. However, I would humbly defer that board to any of the guys I listed in my chucka-board-tour-of-america. Reason being, boo-boo wouldn't believe me if I had anything critical to say, as well as I kinda don't want to have to touch chucka-boo-boo's wood, to pun madly for a moment.

If you build it, boo-boo, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Atom View Post
    Count me in as a local tester. I'm 20 mins away, G.
    how can you sleep at night knowing that a latex beating lunatic lives only 20 mins from you?

Images
    Ill take one for the price of on the house

I'd love one. But it would only make it flatter here.

so are u only making wooden blanks or foam aswell?how does a wooden board perform,they look heavy.u should go to some local east coast beaches and host a demo where u let everyone try the boards out.thats the only way to get good business.iv never seen nor rode or even knew anyone who rode a wooden board.i imagine one of those old Hawaiian boards that way 250lbs but shorter version that probably weighs 30.it looks like u can get hurt getting hit by one of those boards,idk maybe they are light.

If you make them outta a lighter wood, i.e, balsa, pauwalonia (sp??), then they are close to the standard foam weights, 8-10lbs. I beleive, im not Charles nor have i ever ridden one, ive just read a lil here and there.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leetymike808 View Post
    If you make them outta a lighter wood, i.e, balsa, pauwalonia (sp??), then they are close to the standard foam weights, 8-10lbs. I beleive, im not Charles nor have i ever ridden one, ive just read a lil here and there.
    id like to be able to use paulownia for these blanks but sadly i don't have a good supplier to make it feasible. I have made a good contact recently that might put me in touch with some Chinese paulownia tho so down the road, if I can sell some cedar ones, getting affordable paulownia is on my list of to do's.
    I seriously think more people need to be growing it, seems like its really just the best stuff, plus its helpful that a felled paulownia tree will grow back from its previously harvested stump and then be ready to harvest in a short while. Cedar on the other hand is abundant in the north, but is not a fast growth tree like paulownia.

The domestic paulownia supplier who I've purchased from is located in Georgia and they sell out to west coast shapers pretty quick.. wegner surfboards.. but this supplier sells their rough sawn lumber for 8 bucks per board foot... that translates to an expensive surfboard but lightweight and super stable, and good resistor to water.
    the man or woman who can farm lots of paulownia will have plenty of demand thats for sure.