LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatelongboarders View Post
    You're aware they notched the jetties in Belmar and Spring Lake like 10 years ago and it hasn't destroyed anything.

Yes, but those beaches are a completely different beach profile than Deal. Deal has very deep water and much longer jetties. When they notch and fill it will be more like Sea Bright and Monmouth Beach, steep drop offs into deep water=shore pound. Those breaks were destroyed for 10 years plus, until Sandy.
    And Belmar and Spring Lake did suck for several years post notching/filling. They are finally breaking good again (not good as pre notch/fill in my opinion), just in time for more sand to be pumped.

where are you getting your info that its "deeper off deal" then belmar?

I'll concede that the beaches there are more "cliff/bluff" like then farther south but that's more a result of coastal development then natural erosion.

post those pictures of deal "100 years ago" so we can compare.

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    One way to have science on your side when confronting governmental and private interests who seem to have a revisionist theory on beach dredge and fill projects and their effects: Beachscape data. Have volunteers take photos and measurements of the dune and the high tide line every six months on every stretch of beach that is surfable. That way in several years you can pull out photos and data to prove your point without having fake data shoved down your throat. You establish a data base that claims surf spots as the natural resources that they are. That establishes stakeholders rights, user access, dune protection, etc. Surfrider Foundation has a turn key Beachscape kit available.

The more scientific data, and the more people who make noise about the data, the better your chances of stopping this type of project on a local grassroots level. Best of luck. Save the Wave!
    thank you for saying this. too many people just blindly say "dredging is bad" without having a shred of data/science to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    One way to have science on your side when confronting governmental and private interests who seem to have a revisionist theory on beach dredge and fill projects and their effects: Beachscape data. Have volunteers take photos and measurements of the dune and the high tide line every six months on every stretch of beach that is surfable. That way in several years you can pull out photos and data to prove your point without having fake data shoved down your throat. You establish a data base that claims surf spots as the natural resources that they are. That establishes stakeholders rights, user access, dune protection, etc. Surfrider Foundation has a turn key Beachscape kit available.

The more scientific data, and the more people who make noise about the data, the better your chances of stopping this type of project on a local grassroots level. Best of luck. Save the Wave!
    The thesis of this project is continue erosion control of completed beach fill projects to allow long shore drift of sand to migrate through the groins vs. collecting on the up drift side of the jetty depriving the down drift beach. The question rolling around between my ears reading Jersy posts after beach fills the sand bars/waves around the groins take about 2 years to come back so do or will these "notches" impede that natural occurrence? So once they remove the stone they're NOT going to put them back. I just read a NJ ACOE study of jetty maintenance and beach fill study of its affects on fin fish and surveyed nearly 2000 fishermen for their feedback of project affects. The sad thing, our recreational use of the ocean is not a bleep on their radar, that's our fault.

I'm sure ACOE has the science, but If ACOE has NOT studied notching affects nor monitored existing notch groins then from my chair that's a legitimate "rebuttal" if they can not validate the project will have NO impact on surfing. Jerzy crew certainly within their right to challenge ACOE to support their actions as a stakeholder to seek further information.

this song gets me in the mood to go surf a spot that the acoe destroyed.

sand is on my hands tonightttttttttttttttt lol