LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Atom View Post
    Right!! Yesterday was busy, surprisingly busy. It's like the calendar hit March and all of the sudden everyone heads for the water. It's barely warmer now than it was in Jan/Feb. I had this one middle-aged dude, who happens to be super friendly and a great surfer, refer to yesterday as a "nice beginning to the season". What season? I thought surfing was a year-round activity? Is it not? Is that why there were only a few of us in the water all those cold days? Did I miss the memo?

Do we start the countdown to next winter now?
    the air temp might have been warm but the water was still in the high 30's

Images
    Low 30's up here, maybe 34?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Atom View Post
    Right!! Yesterday was busy, surprisingly busy. It's like the calendar hit March and all of the sudden everyone heads for the water. It's barely warmer now than it was in Jan/Feb. I had this one middle-aged dude, who happens to be super friendly and a great surfer, refer to yesterday as a "nice beginning to the season". What season? I thought surfing was a year-round activity? Is it not? Is that why there were only a few of us in the water all those cold days? Did I miss the memo?

Do we start the countdown to next winter now?
    I'm middle-aged, and I've been doing this surfing sh** way too long in NJ. Shortboard, longboard, single-fins, mini-simmons, whatever the waves are calling for is what I ride. I guess I stay in this God-Foresaken pressure cooker of a state because of my family and my job. There are very few places in the country that have perfect chest to head high waves where only 3 guys are out, and one of those places is NJ. I bash this state all the time, but, try getting 15 good waves in one session almost anywhere in Southern California or Florida when it's lined-up and offshore. It's probably not happening. But, it can happen in the middle of the Winter in NJ. If you're a surfer, and you're not surfing in the doldrums of dark winter, then you're missing out. Plus, I do not consider you a surfer.

Quote Originally Posted by salt View Post
    I'm middle-aged, and I've been doing this surfing sh** way too long in NJ. Shortboard, longboard, single-fins, mini-simmons, whatever the waves are calling for is what I ride. I guess I stay in this God-Foresaken pressure cooker of a state because of my family and my job. There are very few places in the country that have perfect chest to head high waves where only 3 guys are out, and one of those places is NJ. I bash this state all the time, but, try getting 15 good waves in one session almost anywhere in Southern California or Florida when it's lined-up and offshore. It's probably not happening. But, it can happen in the middle of the Winter in NJ. If you're a surfer, and you're not surfing in the doldrums of dark winter, then you're missing out. Plus, I do not consider you a surfer.
    You make some very good points, except in FL you CAN find a nice chest - head walled up wave with hardly anybody on it, sometimes even go solo, just gotta know the spots off the beaten path (just stay away from the popular named spots) and get there before everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    You make some very good points, except in FL you CAN find a nice chest - head walled up wave with hardly anybody on it, sometimes even go solo, just gotta know the spots off the beaten path (just stay away from the popular named spots) and get there before everybody else.
    OK, I retract my Florida statement. Florida is huge, there are lots of nooks where you can find a wave. I've gotten quality Spanish House all to myself before, and that's a named spot...Just spread-out.

OK, I retract my Florida statement. Florida is huge, there are lots of nooks where you can find a wave. I've gotten quality Spanish House all to myself before, and that's a named spot...Just spread-out.
    Exactly, and a sweet spot that is!

NJ Localism. What a joke. What are you protecting? A jetty-beachbreak that barely gets good by world-class standards? And yeah, that applies to every single "break" in NJ. Try to argue that one.
    The reason why you see all the pics in the mags and online of NJ is because every tom **** n harry has an SLR digital camera with a telephoto lens on it. They are in the right place at the right time. I've literally laughed at the screen at surfline's "good-to-epic" crap they post about NJ. The mag guys are probably obligated to document East and West Coasts, almost equally these days.
    Saturday was mixed-swell, closed-out, mediocre at best in Monmouth County. I surfed for an hour in the late morning, and caught 4 waves and came in. I watched it at several spots and saw nobody catching anything special. It had some size, but I must have surfed like 5 other times this winter when the waves were twice as good, and a little smaller (I'll take that any day). Where in the hell was everyone when it was BALLS cold out in Jan/early Feb? Crowds were pretty thin and everyone was well-behaved everywhere I surfed. I bet half the shredder buds on the peak at Manasquan were watching TV or drinking Medallas in PR. I had more fun watching chicks in stretch pants running by on the boardwalk and drinking beers after some face numbing closeouts.
    Anyway, for a guy (me) that has no special local spot, yet I live 15 mins from the beach, I sh** on all you shredder bud locals. Someone early mentioned it was time these tools grew-up. I agree, but hey, even crappy waves need some regulating. There are cool ways to go about it.
    Had a very similar experience in Northern Mo Co on Saturday. 5 people out- kinda funky break. With the South to North drift acting like a conveyor belt, no one was on top of each other. Three photogs on the beach which I thought was funny. Caught like 5 waves over an hour and a half. The last one will keep me coming back though, made a it out of a nice barrel for the first time in a while.

u said it way better than me.kudos buddy,nj still sucks,but its better than most places when it comes to crowds

um California is the 3rd biggest state in the country. Theres plenty of spots you can go get quality waves with nobody on it, throughout the state. Just gotta be willing to put the work in, and know where to look. They may not be all mag quality but like anywhere, it'll have its day.

I'm sure its the same everywhere tho. Waves are out there going off unridden, probably within 15 miles of whatever crowded break you went to. Just gotta break out of the pack and venture off from the norms.

Fu@4 Squan... Deal rox