LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

best board for Nicaragua

Traveling to Nicaragua in early April. I'm taking my all around board for waves waist-head...

But I'm wondering if I should also bring my stubby/fast small wave board... or my thinner/longer/ narrower hpsb?

who knows wave-wise what you will run into; my guess is thinner/longer. if this your first trip
    the outside left at popoyo is truly an expert slope. go slay it. also beware it.

I've been there a couple times and never surfed anything under chest high. Your all around board is probably your best bet unless you see some purple blobs on the surf forecast....I'd let that dictate if you should take another. You may get charged more for taking 2 boards though?

Images
    whatever thruster you usually use. dont bother with a longboard, sup, or fish.

would you rather have a longer, narrow and thin hpsb incase it gets real punchy and heavy...OR a really fast stubbier short board for fast barrels and smaller waves?

Im def taking my all around shortboard but not sure which, of those two above, would be better suited for the waves there this time of year?

been there twice, take your all around shortboard and a step-up, or a little big longer, narrow and thin board. dont bother for fishies etc.

Ya.... outers at Popoyo can get seriously ridiculous! I often see guys with helmets and guns goin out there. It can get pretty big! For most going to Nicaragua on a surf trip aren't going to surf the outer reef. People have died out there and many have been seriously mangled. The nearest hospital isn't so near either.

So besides outer reef just bring your regular board. I usually bring a 6' - 6'1" basic thruster and my 5'7" fish. Actually rode the fish most of the time. Got some killer picts of me on the fish in a stand up barrel! I have never ever been to Nicaragua and had a shortage of waves. On one trip we had some guys who weren't quite as experienced and there were a few days it was just too big!

If you are not an experienced surfer I would recommend going with a guide and letting them know you need a less aggressive wave. It seems there's a lot more reef and rocks and funky currents then if you go on a trip to Costa.

None the less you'll have a killer time!

Exclamation popoyo

Quote Originally Posted by wavehog1 View Post
    Ya.... outers at Popoyo can get seriously ridiculous! I often see guys with helmets and guns goin out there. It can get pretty big! For most going to Nicaragua on a surf trip aren't going to surf the outer reef. People have died out there and many have been seriously mangled.
    yep, like i said….an expert slope.

This might be really obvious but check the surf report before you go and bring whatever you need to cover the expected waves just like anyplace else.

My experience has been that a standard shortboard covers just about everything except if it gets huge and you want to do toe ins on the outer reefs. I don't even own the sort of boards that would have been required to surf the biggest days last time I was there but there were some nooks and crannies where my regular shortboard worked just fine even on the biggest days.

What % of average joe surfers are doing tow ins at outer reefs on a surf trip?