From what I remember of water temps in Mass last year, and I was charging nearly every day even if it was 12in, this is what I recall in 2013:
- Sustained low of 36 through Feb and most of March
- Comfortable in a hoodless 4/3 most all of April
- From late April through early May, temp rose 13 degrees in 17 calendar days
- Charged in mid-May on a sunny Saturday for 20 minutes in just baggies and boots and was shivering not hypo
- 3/2 in May was more than adequate, could do a 2/2 shortsleeve this year
- Was trunking it with 1.5mm reef boots by mid-June for up to 60 mins
- Trunked it in Maine for 60-90 mins in July when everyone had 3/2s on in flat lineup
- Topped out between 71 and 74 (for maybe 2 days) in August
- Was back down between 58 to 61 in late September, 2mm topper and baggies were fine
- Wore 3/2 with 3mm boots and 1.5mm gloves with ease through November
- Think I busted out 5/4 Drylock finally last Saturday in November
Last edited by EmassSpicoli; Mar 15, 2014 at 10:42 AM.
Decided to check the monthly averages and they like up for the most part with my recollection. Note: not going hoodless in April no matter if I am in the 4/3 or 3/2 (my likely choice). I've got the cap to wear to cover ears as I don't care to have them later drilled. Also, disregard any of the "feats of strength" listed like the May trunking as that was kind of a joke that me and the good brahs got on tape to see the reactions of the busy beach goers that day. I do not suggest most or any of you charge sans wetty in MA or north in the month of May.