50 here homeboy
Results 11 to 20 of 21
Mar 13, 2014, 02:55 PM #11
Mar 13, 2014, 03:22 PM #12
- Join Date
- May 2006
- Lewes, DE
Water temps take a while to warm up. You generally don't see much, if any, of a warm up in March, and then it increases very slowly in April and May.
Water hit 60 down here, time to break out the banana hammock, hallelujah!
Mar 13, 2014, 06:47 PM #14
Feb and March are always the coldest water temps... But at least you start to get some warmer air in March
Mar 13, 2014, 08:22 PM #16
What is the highest temp that the water gets up there in the summer?
Mar 13, 2014, 11:45 PM #17
Water temp is a nice yellow and air temps on the coast are a lovely burnt-orange.
Mar 14, 2014, 03:52 AM #18
Seems we got back into the low 40s this week off VB. I haven't been out since Sunday though. Been pretty flat this week. Windy too.
Mar 15, 2014, 09:39 AM #19
From what I remember of water temps in Mass last year, and I was charging nearly every day even if it was 12in, this is what I recall in 2013:
- Sustained low of 36 through Feb and most of March
- Comfortable in a hoodless 4/3 most all of April
- From late April through early May, temp rose 13 degrees in 17 calendar days
- Charged in mid-May on a sunny Saturday for 20 minutes in just baggies and boots and was shivering not hypo
- 3/2 in May was more than adequate, could do a 2/2 shortsleeve this year
- Was trunking it with 1.5mm reef boots by mid-June for up to 60 mins
- Trunked it in Maine for 60-90 mins in July when everyone had 3/2s on in flat lineup
- Topped out between 71 and 74 (for maybe 2 days) in August
- Was back down between 58 to 61 in late September, 2mm topper and baggies were fine
- Wore 3/2 with 3mm boots and 1.5mm gloves with ease through November
- Think I busted out 5/4 Drylock finally last Saturday in November
Last edited by EmassSpicoli; Mar 15, 2014 at 09:42 AM.
Mar 15, 2014, 09:52 AM #20
Decided to check the monthly averages and they like up for the most part with my recollection. Note: not going hoodless in April no matter if I am in the 4/3 or 3/2 (my likely choice). I've got the cap to wear to cover ears as I don't care to have them later drilled. Also, disregard any of the "feats of strength" listed like the May trunking as that was kind of a joke that me and the good brahs got on tape to see the reactions of the busy beach goers that day. I do not suggest most or any of you charge sans wetty in MA or north in the month of May.