LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best type of board for nj steep waves

Alright been using a 6'8'' funboard with barely any rocker, and been having troubles with steeper nj waves. Thinking of getting new step-up 6'4'' board or shorter (both must have a decent rocker). I'm 5'7'' and weigh 160. Whats best design board for steep nj waves that are border-line close outs.

border-line close outs

lol

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surf&turf85 View Post
    Alright been using a 6'8'' funboard with barely any rocker, and been having troubles with steeper nj waves. Thinking of getting new step-up 6'4'' board or shorter (both must have a decent rocker). I'm 5'7'' and weigh 160. Whats best design board for steep nj waves that are border-line close outs.
    Most "funboards" actually have quite a bit of rocker. Have you actually measured the rocker? Either way, a rockered out 6'4" step up is for well overhead waves, and wont necessarily help you out that much with most steep waves (IMO more about paddle skill) or borderline closeouts (just look at it as an opportunity and be thankful you arent surfing mush!). Once you get to your feet the step-up is not going to be any faster, and may actually be slower down the line than other board options. There really arent many days on the east coast where a 160 pounder needs a 6'4" step-up, and there are a lot of days where its a really bad choice. Speak to a local shop or shaper, bring the board you have now, and try to realisitically assess what is happening when you drop into a steep wave and try to come back up into the first section.
    Last edited by mitchell; Mar 12, 2014 at 07:42 PM.

If you're surfing a particularly dumpy, punchy, hollow wave, I've always found a board with normal shortboard rocker and a bit more flex actually works best. You can add a little width and/or volume to the tail as well. But the fact is there are many standard board shapes that do well in our local surf. It's just that some work even better when you start to really fine tune your equipment to a particular spot and swell.

Images
    How old are you dude? Sounds like you're kinda young but I don't want to assume.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RIsurfer View Post
    How old are you dude? Sounds like you're kinda young but I don't want to assume.
    Nevermind, reality just set in.

Steep waves that are "borderline closeouts".... I guess you are meaning fast waves are best ridden with smaller boards that are more maneuverable. They don't necessarily have to have more rocker. The newer style boards being ridden now actually have less rocker.

I think you have troubles riding fast, steep waves because you are riding a cumbersome board. Not sure what your experience is but I've been surfing all my life and would find it challenging riding those kind of waves on your current equipment.

"Funboards" are just that.... they are shaped for going out and just having a good time on. The shape is halfway between a shortboard and longboard. Their design is made to more easily catch waves yet still have some maneuverability to perform a little easier than a longboard.

If you're looking for more rocker or something a little faster and maneuverable maybe try a bigger "fish" style board. Probably like a 6'4" or 6'6" in that range. Either that or have a smaller style funboard thinned out.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    If you're surfing a particularly dumpy, punchy, hollow wave, I've always found a board with normal shortboard rocker and a bit more flex actually works best. You can add a little width and/or volume to the tail as well. But the fact is there are many standard board shapes that do well in our local surf. It's just that some work even better when you start to really fine tune your equipment to a particular spot and swell.
    i agree w/ LB here. you don't want to get too crazy w/ rocker b/c at some point, you're going to reach a point where the drawbacks of lots of rocker will be outweighing the benefits. in fact, a little LESS tail rocker would be beneficial in those conditions. i like to push the wide point a bit forward of center as well, as this gives you a bit more paddle power w/out having to go up in volume. this is why designs like the hypto krypto & others work so well in critical, punchy surf up to a certain size. think rusty slayer or ci deep six.

I'm curious. Why would you want less tail rocker? I would think rocker on the tail would bring the nose up when putting weight on the tail and this would prevent pearling on steep drops. This is under the assumption of a more vertical drop in into a bottom turn. If it's a fast dumpy wave which requires angled take off under the lip, then less tail rocker makes sense.

Lightbulb s-i-m-o-n a-n-d-e-r-s-o-n

sounds like a job for a standard hpsb.