LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Might be doing my first 39 degree water surfing next week..

...What should I expect?

I'm buying a 4/3 full, hoodie, and gloves (already have booties and a 3/2)..

Had a fix of it in Fort Pierce on vaca and I'm returning back to Philly (I surf in Jersey) in a few days. I simply cannot wait for the summer to surf again.

Any tips?

-Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bdub17 View Post
    ...What should I expect?

I'm buying a 4/3 full, hoodie, and gloves (already have booties and a 3/2)..

Had a fix of it in Fort Pierce on vaca and I'm returning back to Philly (I surf in Jersey) in a few days. I simply cannot wait for the summer to surf again.

Any tips?

-Bruce
    You should expect violently shaking hands and a complete threat to your health/safety.

Your tip is to wear a 14mm wetty with gloves and boots engineered by NASA.

shark-hunter is happy to help consult you ok your macho polar plunge endeavor.

New suit...hope it has taped/glued/blind stitched seams. If so...you'll be good for a coule of hours...I would suggest 7 mil boots and 5mil gloves. Better to have warm/sweaty feet...IMHO as I assume you only have 3 mils.

New suits are great...won't start leaking (pinholes) for a while...enjoy it!

A well-used 4/5 with 7 mil boots and 5 mil gloves boots got me through the VB winter. A hood too, of course. The water here got down to 37 this winter, but air temp of 38 was the coldest I was out. That's almost "tropical" compared what our northern friends deal with. Wind can be the killer. I'm colder after I get out of the water and am walking back to the car.

Expect to be in for even less then 30mins and not being able to feel your fingers or toes with any boots or gloves under 5mm. The coldest I've had up here was when I took off my gloves and my hands were purple about 1min after I took the gloves off and then Thursday my hood froze while I was wearing it in the water. There were icesicles hanging off it too!

I do love my 4/3 tho can't wait to be in it this april

Images
    I've been wearing 6 mil gloves until april here because my 5 mils are like 3s.

Images
    4/3 and 39 degree water........ Ummm, that's not enough rubber.
    Good luck.

I'm home for Spring Break and just paddled out today at Moses Field 2 on LI. Wore a 3/2 with an old 4/3 over it just to get me by, with 5mm boots, gloves and hood. Wasn't too bad! Definitely investing in a 5/4 for next winter though.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rxsurf90 View Post
    I'm home for Spring Break and just paddled out today at Moses Field 2 on LI. Wore a 3/2 with an old 4/3 over it just to get me by, with 5mm boots, gloves and hood. Wasn't too bad! Definitely investing in a 5/4 for next winter though.
    Doing the robot in a 7/5, were ya? Sounds like a rubber work out, not the fun kind.