LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rxsurf90 View Post
    I'm home for Spring Break and just paddled out today at Moses Field 2 on LI. Wore a 3/2 with an old 4/3 over it just to get me by, with 5mm boots, gloves and hood. Wasn't too bad! Definitely investing in a 5/4 for next winter though.
    Something like this:
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0

Images
    It's going to be cold in a 4/3 for the next few weeks- go on the warm days.

Belmar nj is usually firing on warm days too

Well I've gone with a a 4-3 and a vest with hood all winter

Wetsuits are so advanced now that it isn't bad at all. 50 years ago, getting in that water must have been insane

Quote Originally Posted by TheWocal View Post
    Wetsuits are so advanced now that it isn't bad at all. 50 years ago, getting in that water must have been insane
    Wetsuits have advanced quite a bit over the years. As young teenagers, my buddies, brother, and I would cobble together our wetsuits from hand-me-downs, used stuff we bought from others, and miss-match pickings from grab bag sale items at dive and surf shops in Redondo Beach. What little money I had was from doing yard work or cleaning pools. The stuff really didn't fit well; and if we had two left gloves, we'd turn one inside out to fit the other hand. The the tops zipped up and had beaver tails. This was So Calif in the early 70s. We didn't surf then but went skin diving off Palos Verdes where we lived at the time, or out off Catalina. Good times. Loved that abalone.

I think you'll want a 543. You are not going to last long in 4-3. If you do go, watch for the horizon getting blurry. That's you in a vibratory shiver, by which time you have like 15 minutes before important enzymes that keep your brain operating begin to denature and malfunction, and you become really disoriented or unconscious. Then do the math. Actually, don't bother. Simple math is pretty much out of your grasp at that moment. OK I am exaggerating for humor, but not much. I used to paddle out in OCMD in February in a 3-2. It was stupid, and I swear I really did have some close calls. Put on a layer of capilene under the suit. Synthetic long john bottoms and tops. That does help a bit. Godspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfin_nj View Post
    I do love my 4/3 tho can't wait to be in it this april
    in other parts of the world this statement is not made. spoken like a dedicated nj surfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Doing the robot in a 7/5, were ya? Sounds like a rubber work out, not the fun kind.
    I honestly thought it would've been a pain in the ass but it was surprisingly not bad! I'll give it a go one more time before I head back up north

Quote Originally Posted by livesurfish View Post
    Well I've gone with a a 4-3 and a vest with hood all winter
    Me too. But not THIS winter.

Images
    I did, and I've decided that I need a new 5/4.