LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Wind Turbines Posing a Problem in Maryland

I'm interested to find out more information about a new issue that has been raised in Ocean City MD. Recently, Governor Martin O'Malley has introduced the Maryland Offshore Wind Energy Act of 2013. <br /><br />you can read all about it here: <br />http://www.governor.maryland.gov/wind.html <br /><br />I'm concerned that the wind farm is going to greatly affect the surf. I'm all for finding alternate ways for renewable energy, but what if this makes the waves suck. In the UK, the same thing has happened but there hasn't been any follow up on the articles.<br /><br />http://www.sas.org.uk/news/campaigns...-to-meeting-2/<br /><br />http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-23696781<br /><br /><br />They're saying the turbines could reduce wave height up to 22%. Not to mention all the trash that's going to wash up on the beach from construction.<br />if anybody could provide input on this it would be great. I feel like everybody is just watching this crap happening and not doing anything about it.<br /><br />-Matt

please explain how wind turbines will "reduce wave height by 22%". Include ACTUAL scientific findings and articles. this will be due by end of class friday.

Shill. must be BrewTrollers new persona
    Last edited by chicharronne; Mar 18, 2014 at 09:02 PM.

4. They also deter wildlife from the area. The vibrations that they put off annoy birds and fish and stuff. Well, if the turbines are in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    Shill. must be BrewTrollers new persona
    Shove it. I have never been against wind power. I am actually very much for it and solar power technology development.

Quote Originally Posted by failing is my finest move View Post
    They also deter wildlife from the area. The vibrations that they put off annoy birds and fish and stuff. Well, if the turbines are in the water.
    Got a link to a study? I have heard of birds getting killed, but annoying fish seems far out.

They will not deter fish from the area. Put structure in water and fish will swarm. As small fish move in bigger fish will follow and so on... Vibrations annoy birds??? Yeah ok.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Shove it. I have never been against wind power. I am actually very much for it and solar power technology development.
    Don't getcher panties in a bunch Brewhilda. I think you might be dripping clots. So take deep breaths and repeat, "I AM SOMEBODY!"
    Can I get an HeyMan?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    They will not deter fish from the area. Put structure in water and fish will swarm. As small fish move in bigger fish will follow and so on... Vibrations annoy birds??? Yeah ok.
    Maybe the spinning blades don't mesh well with bird heads?

I think Blind Birds will be the most effected.