LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

It's Happening Again

It's that time of year again - the lineups are proportionally growing more slammed with seasonal "surfers". With the warming water, only one question comes to mind...where were you guys in january?

Already missing the desolate beaches with the rest of you guys who aren't afraid of a few ice cream headaches.
    I cant't be the only one that gets a little agro this time of year. I just hate dodging costco boards every other wave.

Images
    The past couple times I paddled out is felt so weird to walk over the dunes and see so many people in the water...stall able to find a peak to myself but just weird.

crowded-beach.jpg ha ha ha ha ha

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilmshark View Post
    It's that time of year again - the lineups are proportionally growing more slammed with seasonal "surfers". With the warming water, only one question comes to mind...where were you guys in january?

Already missing the desolate beaches with the rest of you guys who aren't afraid of a few ice cream headaches.
    I cant't be the only one that gets a little agro this time of year. I just hate dodging costco boards every other wave.
    you must be surfing WB...so the congestion is to be expected. CB has lots of empty breaks and there has been some favorable reconfiguration of sand bars, at least in my neighborhood. CB's better-known high tide spots are probably showing signs of summer strain, but there are plenty of other options.

Images
    It's a crazy phenomenon... On the west coast, Mid-Atlantic and North East, it seems like beach-goers all have the itch to rent a board and "learn to surf" on their 3-4 day vacation, which makes perfect sense. We all once wanted to learn.... The strange thing that I noticed, is down here on Hilton Head, the water is 80 degrees, there are a couple hundred thousand extra people on the island, yet NONE of them rent surfboards and "attempt" to surf.... I am NOT complaining at all, but with the warm water and influx of people, I have no idea why there aren't foam board rental tents and stuff all over the beach.... There are more locals in the water this time of year, I.E. every major swell event, even mid-morning on a wednesday, everyone shows up, but its all the same dudes I saw last year. Local plates. More than half of them are ghosts in the winter, but its all locals down here.

Strange.... Every dingle berry from France in his speedo was on a foam top in CA, clogging up the lineup and becoming hazards.

Viva La South I guess. I don't know how it is up in Charleston, but the touristas all by $6 boogie boards and stay at one beach down on the south end. Them suckers are never up in the "regular" surf spots.

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    you must be surfing WB...so the congestion is to be expected. CB has lots of empty breaks and there has been some favorable reconfiguration of sand bars, at least in my neighborhood. CB's better-known high tide spots are probably showing signs of summer strain, but there are plenty of other options.
    Shhhhhhhh......

Images
    I love it when I'm out surfing and the "beachgoers" (usually guys) get all excited to see a woman surfing and swim out toward me as I catch a wave and get in the way..................

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    It's a crazy phenomenon... On the west coast, Mid-Atlantic and North East, it seems like beach-goers all have the itch to rent a board and "learn to surf" on their 3-4 day vacation, which makes perfect sense. We all once wanted to learn.... The strange thing that I noticed, is down here on Hilton Head, the water is 80 degrees, there are a couple hundred thousand extra people on the island, yet NONE of them rent surfboards and "attempt" to surf.... I am NOT complaining at all, but with the warm water and influx of people, I have no idea why there aren't foam board rental tents and stuff all over the beach.... There are more locals in the water this time of year, I.E. every major swell event, even mid-morning on a wednesday, everyone shows up, but its all the same dudes I saw last year. Local plates. More than half of them are ghosts in the winter, but its all locals down here.

Strange.... Every dingle berry from France in his speedo was on a foam top in CA, clogging up the lineup and becoming hazards.

Viva La South I guess. I don't know how it is up in Charleston, but the touristas all by $6 boogie boards and stay at one beach down on the south end. Them suckers are never up in the "regular" surf spots.
    The tourists around here conglomerate around the pier which makes sense as it's within spitting distance from the food and booze. Our only lifeguards are within a couple hundred yards of the pier so it's no surfing from 10-6. We have a handful of surf camps that cater to local kids. We have our fair share of crowds at the regular spots. I think you may find more soft top tourist at IOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliaep View Post
    I love it when I'm out surfing and the "beachgoers" (usually guys) get all excited to see a woman surfing and swim out toward me as I catch a wave and get in the way..................