LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Radderbsurfin View Post
    You can't afford not to drive a ford.
    I'm generally happy with my explorer, boards fit easily inside, racks on top for the sups.
    Amen to that, have a 2012 explorer. Great for long trips to the beach too.

Images
    so some of yall take awd cars on the beach how does that work out for you?

Images
    The awd is great in the snow and I've seen them on the beach in Maryland and they do fine here. The sand on this beach is super soft but if you stay in the ruts they make it through. The fj on the other hand is a monster.

I've driven an awd CRV over sand a few times onto the north end of Carolina Beach. Yeah, it's pretty nerve-wracking, but just air down and keep your momentum up and you'll be fine. And definitely bring along a shovel and a piece of wood just in vase.

Also a vase...bring a vase too.

4runner great on the beach and the back window goes down to stick your board out the back. Had a 97 accord wagon not 4wd but great car for surf, got 30 mpgs and reliable.

I see these all wheel drive GM Safari and Chevy Astro vans that are pretty interesting. They are mid 90's to mid 2000's or so and sport a 4 or so liter V6 so not horrendous mileage. Seen them on the beaches on OBX and Florida and they seem to go well in sand (providing you let all the air out of the tires). They are pretty easy to find and really cheap, like I see some 100,000 mile rigs for under $2000 and clean. Some sport tow packages and have pretty deck out interiors good for a decent size surf family. Drivetrain is based on the S10 pickup so they made a billion of 'em and then some. Nothing beats a van for a surf machine, hands down. And it's 'merican.

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    I see these all wheel drive GM Safari and Chevy Astro vans that are pretty interesting. They are mid 90's to mid 2000's or so and sport a 4 or so liter V6 so not horrendous mileage. Seen them on the beaches on OBX and Florida and they seem to go well in sand (providing you let all the air out of the tires). They are pretty easy to find and really cheap, like I see some 100,000 mile rigs for under $2000 and clean. Some sport tow packages and have pretty deck out interiors good for a decent size surf family. Drivetrain is based on the S10 pickup so they made a billion of 'em and then some. Nothing beats a van for a surf machine, hands down. And it's 'merican.
    I always liked the size and layout of those vans. They were bigger, taller, and more spacious than a minivan but smaller than a full-size. Consumer Reports didn't rate them very well, but I still liked and wanted to get a used one back in 2000. My wife didn't, so we ended up with a used Toyota Sienna minivan.
    But the Toyota was a reliable workhorse. Beat the heck out of it. The only issues were ongoing problems with driver's door electric window mechanism and the useless tire pressure indicator on the dash. Also the plastic wheel covers tended to disappear or get stolen for some reason. All our kids learned to drive on it. Minivans aren't "cool" but are very practical and good transport getting to the beach, carrying gear, and for changing in. Don't know about their on-sand capabilities.

Images
    In Central America they have these awesome little vans, Daewoo I think. Got a picture of my friend standing in front of one with his arms spread and I swear his arms were at least half the length of the van. Friggin loved those things.