LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Misqumaicut area MAJOR REPLENISHMENT project

    What a disaster this sounds like

    http://www.thewesterlysun.com/news/l...er-nature.html

    The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has one ambitious plan for Misquamicut State Beach in the wake of damage from Superstorm Sandy. Specifically, the Corps wants to take on Mother Nature and bring in an estimated 90,000 cubic yards of sand that agency engineers figure have been taken away over the decades. The vision is to bring the state beach property back to how it looked on opening day in 1959.

    "The proposal calls for about 3,000 truckloads of sand to be distributed along a 150-foot-wide area between the dunes and the water — and into the water — to a depth of about 2 to 3 feet. The sand would be spread along the entire 3,200-foot length of the beach"


    http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/Media/...n-westerl.aspx
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Mar 23, 2014 at 10:04 PM.

  2. #2
    http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/Portal...cutBeachPN.pdf

    You can see in this file there planning on placing sand IN THE WATER basically all the way to where the waves break. This sounds like a complete disaster. This isn't simply a little dumping of sand after sandy. Their planning on getting it back to 1959 levels with a 2-5 million dollar project on the ENTIRE stretch of beach.

    It's supposed to be completed by THIS May before beach season begins. It was supposed to start in march. Anyone around there see any action yet? How come there was never any fight against this by surf chapters that I heard about? They really seemed to back door this and they seem to have ZERO interest in doing replenishing while still preserving the good sandbar.

    Also, this already a VERY short sandbar, unlike gansett town beach/2nd beach. So sand will be placed almost to where the waves break right now. I think this break might be toast Probably no sand bar at all. Just a surge wave/wave that breaks on sand. Horrible
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Mar 23, 2014 at 10:47 PM.

  3. #3
    "In order to extend the
    boundary of the MLW line sand mounds will be pushed out into the surf zone using earth-moving
    equipment. This project will require up to 90,000 cubic yards of sand to be placed on the beach and
    expect the nearshore area to be impacted out to at least the -5 foot depth contour. It is expected to
    take approximately two months to complete the proposed project and all work will completed by
    May 23, 2014.
    "
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Mar 23, 2014 at 10:18 PM.

  4. #4
    Their completely out of their minds trying to get it back to 1959. There will be no sandbar left. If you look in that pdf file at the -5 line, they are basically going to push sand right onto the final sandbar before the already sharp drop off that's there right now. In order to save this break they'd have to create a sandbar farther out which their not doing.
    1959 Misqumiacut
    MISQUAMICUT_1959.jpg
    Modern Misquamicut
    MI-2536_xlarge.jpg
    Misquamicut_Beach_RI_2.jpg
    misquamicut-state-beach.jpg

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    1,006
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Their completely out of their minds trying to get it back to 1959. There will be no sandbar left. If you look in that pdf file at the -5 line, they are basically going to push sand right onto the final sandbar before the already sharp drop off that's there right now. In order to save this break they'd have to create a sandbar farther out which their not doing.
    1959 Misqumiacut
    MISQUAMICUT_1959.jpg
    Modern Misquamicut
    MI-2536_xlarge.jpg
    Misquamicut_Beach_RI_2.jpg
    misquamicut-state-beach.jpg
    Dude brah man bro mang broski, no offense, but not every beach replenishment relies on waves. Not every decision is made around the waveriders. We got lucky on the Ruggles save, but this one, I think this is going to be a doozie.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by RIsurfer View Post
    Dude brah man bro mang broski, no offense, but not every beach replenishment relies on waves. Not every decision is made around the waveriders. We got lucky on the Ruggles save, but this one, I think this is going to be a doozie.
    You can adjust it so it doesn't destroy the waves. We are not the only ones unhappy about this. It also sucks for anyone just wanting to play in the waves. Dangerous steep beach. People like to wade in the water and play in the waves. Not take 2 steps and be neck deep. It's also an absolute fortune at 5 million for just under a mile. This is one of the very few beach breaks in RI. We only have a few that don't shore pound. Most of the sandy beaches are not rideable already west of gansett. Why destroy one of the few. Ridiculous.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    You can adjust it so it doesn't destroy the waves. We are not the only ones unhappy about this. It also sucks for anyone just wanting to play in the waves. Dangerous steep beach. People like to wade in the water and play in the waves. Not take 2 steps and be neck deep. It's also an absolute fortune at 5 million for just under a mile. This is one of the very few beach breaks in RI. We only have a few that don't shore pound. Most of the sandy beaches are not rideable already west of gansett. Why destroy one of the few. Ridiculous.
    I don't support any of what they're doing. However, claiming that you're gonna go wave hungry in RI as a result is laughable. Gotta have yet another BB and wouldn't want a terrible thing like a cobblestone bottom at Matunuck right? And those points, what a waste...

    Bro, you've got more good breaks (and varied ones) within 5-45 minutes than just about anyone I can think of.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    I don't support any of what they're doing. However, claiming that you're gonna go wave hungry in RI as a result is laughable. Gotta have yet another BB and wouldn't want a terrible thing like a cobblestone bottom at Matunuck right? And those points, what a waste...

    Bro, you've got more good breaks (and varied ones) within 5-45 minutes than just about anyone I can think of.
    They don't compare for bodyboarding. Matunuck is a slow wave. The poinits are not barrels. This was a nice hollow beach break. One of the very few in the state. And the crowds are horrific at matunuck.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Atlantic City
    Posts
    1,858

    Thumbs up you need to look at a surfing area and say 'hey bro lets party'

    [QUOTE=EmassSpicoli

    Bro, you've got more good breaks (and varied ones) within 5-45 minutes than just about anyone I can think of.[/QUOTE]

    spicoli get yr head round punta hermosa, peru:

    1) san bartolito (sofia just won there) small, punchy
    2) penascal...rock and roll starts at 6 and goes whoooopeee to 12ft...
    3) huaico...meaty left
    4) explosivos...boogie boarders
    5) punta rocas...one of their show-case beaches, a smaller-scale sunset..
    6) kon-tiki...indescribible
    7) la isla... (man you'll like this one)...a freight train right that resembles no wave anywhere...
    8) el paso...another frt trn cept this un goes left.....so far we've driven 2 miles
    9) playa norte....fat fat right that hurls on down da line...
    10) pico alto...a-frames up to and beyond 50 ft and rideable....cool safe channel..
    11) oscars point ....a mushy right for surf-alone beginners
    12) senoritas...when its on few waves are more sought after...a 3 section left..
    13) caballeros...high perf right hand point break THAT EVERY HPSB TYPE DUDE JUST LOVES!

    theres' more but i'm getting tired...so far we've driven 3 miles....crowding can be an issue
    but usually not....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    1,006
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Not take 2 steps and be neck deep.
    Meh, just wait for a 10ft groundswell.