LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cross over sports for surfing

What do u do?

Lately I have been kitesurfing when the waves are small and there is a side shore breeze. I was surprised how similar the two are. And the kitesurfing has really help my surfing. Although it's a little more expensive then I thought it would be.

So is it lame.
    Last edited by Fl Surfer; Mar 26, 2014 at 01:32 AM.

When it's flat i'll take my SUP out, if the waves are good i'll surf my regular boards, also like to deep sea fish and also from a pier or even off of my SUP, when not doing those things i'm getting some pavement time on my Carver I got back in December.

I'd like to try windsurfing again. I used to own one while in FL and CA, but it's been over 25 years since I've been out on one.
    As far as an activity that would contribute to surfing, I should start lap swimming again. The Navy base where I work has an Olympic size pool within short walking distance from our building. I think the SEAL Team uses it a lot. Sometimes the shallow end is covered with sand for weeks from whatever it is they do there. It's as if they come in directly from the beach and jump right in to rinse off.
    Last edited by DosXX; Mar 26, 2014 at 04:30 AM.

See carver thread

Use my carver, new at it...good rush, skiing bumps...good rush, surf fish...good rush with a big fish (40lb +), tho I can go weeks without a hog, but when hooked up, reel screaming, fish ON!...good rush, golf...believe it or not...good rush when your in sync, rollerblade...no rush, but good exercise, ride a bike...no rush, but good exercise. I do a lot, just get bored doing one...with the exception of the first three rushes. Have yet to get bored with them, except for golf-feels like work now.

The carver, mogul skiing and surfing are very similar...in fact iam amazed how the carver is a great trainer for surfing and mogul skiing...surf fishing is similar in the crossover department, because my toes are in the sand...I don't sit in a chair either...I fish hard running 4 rods...I can sling bait for 10 hours straight without ever sitting down. I seem to always need that natural rush...been like that since I was a kid.

is it lame you ask. why would it be lame? kiting is sick. i had one for a while. never really got too into it too much, unfortunately. prob due to the fact that i was a total beginner, none of my friends would spend the time or money on it, and my priority was always surfing. but i did get up and ride a few times. and it was one of the biggest rushes ive ever felt in my life. its bada$$!

Images
    I really wish public pools didn't creep me the F out b/c I want to be swimming laps.

lap swimming & prone paddleboarding. flatwater SUP is good, too. but, w/ all due respect to dpSUP, i still have reservations about SUPs in the line up around regular surfers.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    lap swimming & prone paddleboarding. flatwater SUP is good, too. but, w/ all due respect to dpSUP, i still have reservations about SUPs in the line up around regular surfers.
    you SHOULD have reservations. they took your (our) precious sport and dumbed it down…successfully!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    you SHOULD have reservations. they took your (our) precious sport and dumbed it down…successfully!!!

no doubt...in fact, a couple years back, one nearly took ME out on an uncrowded early spring day in hatteras.

Images
    Hey 42, do you have a proper prone paddleboard? Always wanted one...I just use my longboard when going for a paddle, but still want a legit paddleboard.