LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 34thStreetSurfing View Post
    Simple question.

Where does everyone get there wax? I know this has been brought up before, but I'm BRINGING IT BACK.

Personally, I'll usually pick some up at a local surf shop, but they charge an arm and a leg for the little icky sticky square goodness. I've started to bum bumps from my buds, but I think they're starting to catch on...

I'll all for "supporting the local shops" but I'm ready to buy some surf wax in BULK quantities. What's the best way to go about attaining a serious amount of wax? Amazon? Local Bee hives? What is the secret?
    I think the electric used to type and read this thread will cost you more than buying some wax.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i find it really depressing that people are *****ing about the beyond-minimal cost of wax & trying to find ways to avoid paying for it. like others have said, it's a buck or a buck fifty at most shops. i'd suggest that the people who are trying to avoid paying this are really just trying to find away to avoid going back to their local shop(s) b/c they probably made an ass out of themselves the last time they stopped in.
    The idea of dudes looking to bypass the shops is indeed sad.

If anything, I use wax as an excuse to hit up the shop and say hi. Buck, Buck-fifty, two bucks, how much could you possibly be spending? Even if you surf as much as you can, the amount is negligible compared to gas, beer, booze, and whatever you might smoke.

In my whole life of skating I have never purchased so much as a bearing from anywhere other than a skate shop. I wish I could spend more money at the surf shop- but I spend what I can afford to (board bags, gloves, boots, wax, repair stuff, etc).

If OP is buying boards and wetsuits at his local, then it doesn't really matter if he's ordering wax on his own. Either way, unless his shop is one of those fashion boutiques (or 'extreme sports' bull**** stores), he should be showing some support.

34th...

How much are you looking to spend?

You said 300 bars...what are you looking to spend on those 300 bars?

Maybe if you go to a local shop you can negotiate a deal.

Out of curiosity how many boards do you have?

Images
    I want one of them Jimbo's bajas too.

Quote Originally Posted by Slashdog View Post
    The idea of dudes looking to bypass the shops is indeed sad.

If anything, I use wax as an excuse to hit up the shop and say hi. Buck, Buck-fifty, two bucks, how much could you possibly be spending? Even if you surf as much as you can, the amount is negligible compared to gas, beer, booze, and whatever you might smoke.

In my whole life of skating I have never purchased so much as a bearing from anywhere other than a skate shop. I wish I could spend more money at the surf shop- but I spend what I can afford to (board bags, gloves, boots, wax, repair stuff, etc).

If OP is buying boards and wetsuits at his local, then it doesn't really matter if he's ordering wax on his own. Either way, unless his shop is one of those fashion boutiques (or 'extreme sports' bull**** stores), he should be showing some support.
    I agree with you here. I try to shop local whenever I can whether it's surf gear or whatever. Problem for me is my truly local shop (drive right by it on the way to my usual break) kinda sucks. I've bought some things there in the keep it local spirit but the owner makes it difficult. It's like he doesn't want to do business. Opens later and closes earlier than advertised. Wanted to buy a board but he had nothing I wanted and other than suggesting craigslist made no effort to help (like take my contact info and call me when something comes in). I ended up driving 30 miles to another shop (I guess that's still local?) and dropping my coin there. My buddy went in one time to get some wax. After a few minutes the owner comes crawling out from the back room (where he was nursing a hangover) and complains "You made me come all the way up here for just a bar of wax?" WTF!! So, as it is, I usually only go in there for wax anymore just because it's convenient. At least it's only $1.50.

I am so often amazed at how many businesses don't know how to run a business. We all have so many options as to where to spend our money especially now with the internet. Just a little bit of effort goes a long way at gaining and keeping a customer. Good quality service almost always brings me back and I'll bypass the others.

Question Extenuating circumstances

[QUOTE=Valhalla;226117]I agree with you here. I try to shop local whenever I can whether it's surf gear or whatever. Problem for me is my truly local shop (drive right by it on the way to my usual break) kinda sucks. QUOTE

DO YA TINK the retail guy is grumpy cause he's been combo-punched to the floor by
    taxes AND internet competition??

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    I agree with you here. I try to shop local whenever I can whether it's surf gear or whatever. Problem for me is my truly local shop (drive right by it on the way to my usual break) kinda sucks.

DO YA TINK the retail guy is grumpy cause he's been combo-punched to the floor by
    taxes AND internet competition??
    Not really. I think he's a kinda strange guy that probably has killed a few brain cells along the way and just doesn't run his business very well. If you say you're open 10 till 6 (or whatever) don't have people drive to your shop at 11 and you're not even there to open the doors. Don't give your customers crap for wanting only a bar of wax because you couldn't control your drinking the night before and you now feel like crap. The other shop I mentioned 30 miles away faces the same pressures of taxes and competition. Shoot, Billabong opened a huge store just a block away. But over the years they have developed a strong community of surfers, skaters and watersports enthusiasts that support them. They hold events, sponsor competitions and offer free surf lessons for kids. Granted they have been around for several decades. But they wouldn't be where they're at now if they chased customers out of the store for troubling them over a bar of wax.

Here's a humorous wax related anecdote.

I was at the 7/11 in Whalebone Junction. A goober from W Va pulls in. He goes in for a few seconds, comes out waving a bar of Sex Wax, yelling at his heffer sow in the front seat"Lookit what I got fer us!" His wife squeals in delight. I'da like to see the look on their faces when they tried to apply it to their nether regions.

Quote Originally Posted by Slashdog View Post
    If OP is buying boards and wetsuits at his local, then it doesn't really matter if he's ordering wax on his own.
    true. then again, i can't think of a time when i bought a board at one of my local shops (as opposed to going directly through the shaper) & i wasn't given a bar or 2 as i walked out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    Here's a humorous wax related anecdote.

I was at the 7/11 in Whalebone Junction. A goober from W Va pulls in. He goes in for a few seconds, comes out waving a bar of Sex Wax, yelling at his heffer sow in the front seat"Lookit what I got fer us!" His wife squeals in delight. I'da like to see the look on their faces when they tried to apply it to their nether regions.
    No way. That story is awesome. Was it the topcoat glue with the silver label? Things could get sticky if so...