LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Images

Surfers and drugs

Big meth problem on the north shore, don't you love it when methed out dudes paddle into the line up? He'll I bet most of you smoke. Probably quite a bit alcoholics. I mean we get labeled enough as is. Do y'all think it's a problem?

It's only a problem when you run out of whatev you're doin.

nope, let'em smoke meth, heroin, crack, whatever. Eventually they will OD and the problem will sort itself out. More barrels for me

Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    Big meth problem on the north shore, don't you love it when methed out dudes paddle into the line up? He'll I bet most of you smoke. Probably quite a bit alcoholics. I mean we get labeled enough as is. Do y'all think it's a problem?
    Weed and surfing seem to go hand in hand.

there's no Ice in Paradise brother - Dog

but for real you're right. I've always wished someone would write a legit tell-all about the drug/surf lifestyle out there. dudes like AI clearly struggled with addiction for a long time but no one ever said anything as those pro's were coddled like children.

Flea was pretty open about his Ice addiction, so far as saying he's surfed Mav's meth'd out of his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gnargnarshredda View Post
    nope, let'em smoke meth, heroin, crack, whatever. Eventually they will OD and the problem will sort itself out. More barrels for me
    Ebeneezer, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Weed and surfing seem to go hand in hand.
    As did alot of other drugs. Some of the biggest surf companies around had their roots in drug smuggling back in the day. Shapers used to smuggle drugs in hollowed out boards around the world. Drugs and dealers are rampant on the North Shore still, as in many surf towns around the globe. It's the "sports" dirty laundry for sure. Hence, the popular American media representations of surf culture.

the Allan Weisbecker book, In Search of Capt Zero portrayed the whole drug running thing pretty thoroughly.

Tom Carrol has recently spoken about his meth addiction as well. very interesting interview.

I have been very fortunate to never get involved and really never saw a problem with drugs when I was a kid. Maybe once in a while at a party, a dope smoker here and there but that's it. All my surfer buds drank a bit but never even smoked dope. Not sure if it's a prevalent problem among surfers, but maybe so. As with many sports, drugs can be a significant problem. Maybe the surfing/hippie culture created the ora of surfing and drugs...guess it has stuck a little. That stuff is bad news...just look around all those well known folks who have fallen from drugs. You got a problem, addiction, better get help or it will catch up to you progressively...in a bad way.

I know I was floored when I heard about Tom Carroll. Couldn't believe it. Got his act together now. If you ever have a chance, read up about him.

Monmouth and Ocean counties in NJ have some of the highest rates of heroin addiction currently in the USA. it's a different world for sure then when i grew up.