LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: some surf pics

Images
    Some, small, always mushy southern CA beach breaks.

You Know Where

My old hood, OB Jetty

South Bay, LA

More LA

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of SJB View Post
    So........are you not BIG anymore or what? You shrink or something? How's your band doing? Still haven't tapped that powder that provides musical greatness, huh? Oh well.
    duude didn't see this til just now.... ha... what happened to your other handle/avatar/persona?

Zach, that fist pic is Blacks, right?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeroevol View Post
    Zach, that fist pic is Blacks, right?
    Yup... All the shots from that day are just mind blowing. For being a beach break, Blacks doesn't max out with the top to bottom size that the reef breaks do. That was for sure one of the more impressive days of photos I have ever seen from there. The Cliffs has more length in the face, but Black had to be the heaviest wave in the area that whole swell. It lasted like 4 days.

nice Blacks shots Zach619. Blacks is the sh!t. I used to drive down there a lot when I lived in Seal Beach all the time. Worth the 2 hours of pounding pavement. The crowds are no big deal either. Most people there will back off if you look like you really mean it more then them.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ATANTICOO View Post
    nice Blacks shots Zach619. Blacks is the sh!t. I used to drive down there a lot when I lived in Seal Beach all the time. Worth the 2 hours of pounding pavement. The crowds are no big deal either. Most people there will back off if you look like you really mean it more then them.
    Yup, that is pretty much the misconception so many people have of the west coast. Crowds are almost never a factor, because there is organization to it all. Its controlled chaos, and as long as you aren't blowing waves, it doesn't matter if Kelly Slater is next in line behind you, if you commit and go, he will wait his turn. But if you spent a lot of time there, you know that. There is a South and North Peak at Blacks, most most premiere spots on the west coast have one peak. And its organized. You can shoulder hop of people miss one, but all in all, its one peak... There are so many places on the east coast that are "named spots" that are nothing more than 4-5 peaks up and down a stretch of beachie.... Not the same deal...

For instance, the popular surf beach here is a named beach. You would think, okay, there are 20 guys at spot X, so I will be waiting in line, when in reality, you get there, and this one "Spot" is about a 500 yard stretch of beach that has 10 peaks on it.... The west coast doesn't have a lot of that. That is why it is so organized, albeit crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Yup, that is pretty much the misconception so many people have of the west coast. Crowds are almost never a factor, because there is organization to it all. Its controlled chaos, and as long as you aren't blowing waves, it doesn't matter if Kelly Slater is next in line behind you, if you commit and go, he will wait his turn. But if you spent a lot of time there, you know that. There is a South and North Peak at Blacks, most most premiere spots on the west coast have one peak. And its organized. You can shoulder hop of people miss one, but all in all, its one peak... There are so many places on the east coast that are "named spots" that are nothing more than 4-5 peaks up and down a stretch of beachie.... Not the same deal...

For instance, the popular surf beach here is a named beach. You would think, okay, there are 20 guys at spot X, so I will be waiting in line, when in reality, you get there, and this one "Spot" is about a 500 yard stretch of beach that has 10 peaks on it.... The west coast doesn't have a lot of that. That is why it is so organized, albeit crowded.
    True. I grew up in Santa Cruz (the ultimate snake pit) and would go down south a lot for contests. WAAAYYY easier to rack up your wave count down there. Even at Lowers, Rincon, Malibu etc... commitment is the name of the game. And people aren't too willing to fight over waves and risk jail time in Socal. Big difference between SC jail (high school reunion) and a Socal jail filled with gnarly mexi goons, shinheads tweakers and crackhead gangsters.

Anyhow, you literally could surf alone everyday alone the rest of your life in socal if you wanted. Sounds like BS but it's true. So many unwanted peaks and long stretches of beach nobody cares about.

Images
    True. I grew up in Santa Cruz (the ultimate snake pit) and would go down south a lot for contests. WAAAYYY easier to rack up your wave count down there. Even at Lowers, Rincon, Malibu etc... commitment is the name of the game. And people aren't too willing to fight over waves and risk jail time in Socal. Big difference between SC jail (high school reunion) and a Socal jail filled with gnarly mexi goons, shinheads tweakers and crackhead gangsters.

Anyhow, you literally could surf alone everyday alone the rest of your life in socal if you wanted. Sounds like BS but it's true. So many unwanted peaks and long stretches of beach nobody cares about.
    Yup. There were two spot on sunset cliffs that aren't even considered "surfable spots" and I would hit them all the time. Completely alone. Long as you knew the inside reefs, it was empty waves, not matter how good it was.... Good times. Thats how it is down here too. You can go to the "surf spot" where you can share waves and cheer each other on, but in the dead of summer, with 200,000 extra people on the island, there about 20 places that just sit there empty, with decent waves. Decisions, decisions.

Only been up to Santa Cruz a couple time, my aunt lives up there. My shaper is from there. They were all SUPER secretive about the spots, we would be driving up the coast, looking at a wave and his buddy would be like, "I can't tell you what that is called, but its a pretty good wave". I was like dude, I may live in SoCal, but I looked at a map and I know what every one of these spots are called my dude... Chill homie.

I know what you mean. Anyone who surfs regularly and acts like there's any secrets anywhere on the west coast is a fool. There is just so much surfable coast that the vast majority of it ends up empty. North of Point Conception is mostly empty for good reason. Check this spot. B grade day. I would surf here all the time alone. 253361_203506049691491_7891732_n.jpg

Images
    Shhh.... The entire state of California is overcrowded in the water and the land is over-run by Mexicans. The surf is mushy, gutless and there are no barrels.... California Sucks....