LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rogue Wave????

Images

Rogue Wave????

I've been staring at this pic on and off for years, finally dawned on me to post it here. Pulled it from NEsurf. The question I pose for you fellers is whether or not this is a legitimate rogue wave. I was out this day, it was a 'cane swell...can't remember the storm's name but it was one before Isabel, and the surf was nowhere near this size, I'd say 8' sets tops. Rogue waves, tsunamis, and extraordinary oceanic phenomena interest me in general, and after that crazy tsunami reform vid I wanted to share. Rogue or not, this wave was surely a beast, enjoy.

Rogue wave.jpg

Images
    Is that in Rhode Island ? That's a sweet picture man. Maybe it was land slide tsunami from Africa

Images
    That it is sir, not sure exactly where though.

on any large swell of a long period you're going to have instances of a couple of sets during that swell being larger than the rest. as the waves are travelling and stacking sometimes you get a set that's stacked a bit larger than others so i don't know if this is so much a "rogue wave" as it's just a normally occurring anomaly during a large swell.

rogue waves typically occur during a calm sea state rather then during a swell.

micah or someone that knows can confirm. surfline had a great video about Mav's a few years back where they could literally watch a a buoy a certain distance off half moon bay and be able to tell within a minute or two when that set was going to reach Mav's. They also talked about how they could see larger sets filtering pass that buoy and in turn gearing up specifically for the larger sets.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    not sure exactly where though.
    It almost looks like its in the PJ refuge area. Inside the jetties. Ya know when it gets big, like real big, and all the loggers flock over there? I've seen many loggers there before. With all the jetties it kinda looks like it would be the only place in RI with jetties like that.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RIsurfer View Post
    It almost looks like its in the PJ refuge area. Inside the jetties. Ya know when it gets big, like real big, and all the loggers flock over there? I've seen many loggers there before. With all the jetties it kinda looks like it would be the only place in RI with jetties like that.
    You know what it has to be, because look at this, last march at matunuck I saw bombs breaking off the ends of the jetties. The pic is looking from Mat from deep hole towards PJ:
    116.jpg

Images
    That's a cool pic man, bombs on the horizon!

Was that the 3/8-3/9 swell?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    That's a cool pic man, bombs on the horizon!

Was that the 3/8-3/9 swell?
    oh ya. best swell i've ever seen at mat for sure. mcgovern has some sick heli photos from that day that we were going to buy at the last contest.

Images
    why is that guy sitting on the in side playing with himself when there is that out there? and that bomb was massive double over easy.

Images
    might be a photoshop