LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

feds considering to build artificial islands off NJ/NY

"Our idea is to build a chain of islands, like a long slender banana. The wave action and storm surge will reflect off these islands and go back out to sea rather than hitting the coast. The islands 10 to 12 miles off the coast would be uninhabited, although day trips for surfing or fishing might be allowed, Blumberg said. They would be built by pumping sand atop some hard base made of rock, concrete or other material."

http://phys.org/news/2014-03-storm-m...slands-ny.html

this is all over the news yesterday they are seriously considering this

no fcking way dude. you think there is money for this? not to mention I wouldn't want to surf out there. that's well within shark infested waters.
    But aside from all of that.... there would be uproar from nature lovers and the community at large.

Images
    WOW i hope not. . .Unless those islands produce world class surf spots! Manmade reefs, slabs, points, I can imagine it now. Hurricane off the coast, I go camp out on the islands, wait for the swell to hit and then go surf 10 foot right slabs breaking on a huge concrete reef. Similar to the slabs you see breaking on rock reefs in Ireland. Then the winds switch and I travel to the next island where they have a left point break that breaks in too the channel between both islands. Boats everywhere dropping off surfers just like Indo, except with huge white sharks, cold water, and heavy gnarly man made reef breaks. Cant wait. (Then i wake up, the islands are there, and a wave never hits the NJ coast again)

Quote Originally Posted by windswellsucks View Post
    "Our idea is to build a chain of islands, like a long slender banana. The wave action and storm surge will reflect off these islands and go back out to sea rather than hitting the coast. The islands 10 to 12 miles off the coast would be uninhabited, although day trips for surfing or fishing might be allowed, Blumberg said. They would be built by pumping sand atop some hard base made of rock, concrete or other material."

http://phys.org/news/2014-03-storm-m...slands-ny.html

this is all over the news yesterday they are seriously considering this
    This is the dumbest **** I've ever heard.

Seriously, if you're that concerned about a hurricane then don't live on the f'n coast!!! We've become a nation of weather hyped pussies. Day trips for surfing? Seriously, if you can't deal with another sandy in the next 100 years, then sell your house and move. You have 100 years to find a buyer dumbass. We've really made TOO big a deal out of sandy. It's absurd. Yes houses got destroyed. That happens once in a while when you live near an open ocean.
    "To protect Americans against the next big storm" Maybe we should build a 50 mile long rain umbrella canopy so homes don't get flooded from tourential downpours as well!

If that happens, say goodbye to having an open ocean in nj, which is kind of the whole point of living BY THE OCEAN....TO HAVE AN OCEAN WITH WAVES!

LOL Now I need a boat to go surfing! haha
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Mar 30, 2014 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ocsurf32 View Post
    WOW i hope not. . .Unless those islands produce world class surf spots! Manmade reefs, slabs, points, I can imagine it now. Hurricane off the coast, I go camp out on the islands, wait for the swell to hit and then go surf 10 foot right slabs breaking on a huge concrete reef. Similar to the slabs you see breaking on rock reefs in Ireland. Then the winds switch and I travel to the next island where they have a left point break that breaks in too the channel between both islands. Boats everywhere dropping off surfers just like Indo, except with huge white sharks, cold water, and heavy gnarly man made reef breaks. Cant wait. (Then i wake up, the islands are there, and a wave never hits the NJ coast again)
    What kind of crack are you smoking? Slabs? It's just some sand islands. Probably turn into shore pound with nasty longshore currents.
    INDO? HAHA...YEAH, EXCEPT WITH NO SWELL. That place has head high waves 365 days a year nearly.

So you like surfing with white sharks? LOL....Darwinism I guess. Thinning out the herd of dumb people. I really want one of the shark lovers on here to please go surfing at seal island with a go pro. Maybe attach some seal meat to your wetsuit as well just for the extra "rush".

Only on swellinfo could you have someone FOR detroying every single beach break in the state of nj and turning the nj coast into a waveless stretch of coastline and basically long island sound south.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Mar 30, 2014 at 07:46 PM.

And what about people who enjoy going to the nj coast to play in the waves? All those beach goers that go there specifically because of open ocean waves. Surfers aren't the only ones. I'm sorry, but there's no comparison between an open ocean with waves and a salt water lake. Even just relaxing listening to them crash onto shore. Sort of like comparing ct's shoreline to ri. It's a joke.

Belmar, however, would still be firing 23fters 365 days a year. Lol.

Oh and you'd probably end up with scarping on those artifical islands. Sandbars would get taken out real quick. You'd take 2 steps off shore and end up in 20 feet of water. Waves would just surge onto the island. Nevermind everyone in nj would now have a major commute to go surfing. Sort of like having nantucket island as your local surf break when you live in newport. You're not going to be surfing as much.

Images
    Joking my friend, relax

Images
    Yea these islands cause also hurt our economy. The government could care less about waves, until they start losing money because the millions of tourists who enjoy bodyboarding, bodysurfing, and playing in the waves choose a different location for their children. Just like what happened in Mundaka when they ruined the break. They discovered 80% of the money in their town came from surf tourism.