LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    we need a wall because freedom

Quote Originally Posted by windswellsucks View Post
    "Our idea is to build a chain of islands, like a long slender banana. The wave action and storm surge will reflect off these islands and go back out to sea rather than hitting the coast. The islands 10 to 12 miles off the coast would be uninhabited, although day trips for surfing or fishing might be allowed, Blumberg said. They would be built by pumping sand atop some hard base made of rock, concrete or other material."

http://phys.org/news/2014-03-storm-m...slands-ny.html

this is all over the news yesterday they are seriously considering this
    I hope not.u do know that would destroy every wave in Monmouth county from sandy hook to point.we have the continental shelf so we wouldn't get bigger waves regardless.if they did this the only surfing would be done after a 2 hr boatroad out to sea,only to get skunked,or killed.

u know what I laugh about the whole rising sea level thing.they do beach replenishment every other year here in nj.if sea levels rise,why not put the br to good use and rise the sand 20 feet.problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by SI_Admin View Post
    Whoa...

This would obviously be no good for surfers, but they have to seriously consider options to avoid NYC and the large populations around it getting wiped out.

There has to be better solutions then this... Are we going to start building large breakwaters around the entire country? We need to make smarter more adaptable solutions then putting up a giant wall that will also erode and need constant repair.
    Well I guess we don't need your site anymore than micah. LOL! Say goodbye to swellinfo! Oh give me a break with this doomsday nonsense. I'm sorry, but an open ocean with waves is a treasure you can't put a price tag on. You could easily protect nyc with far less intrusive ways. What's next, putting up a seawall over the entire u.s. so a day playing in the waves for families, a national pastime, is gone? That's disgusting. The coastal shore should be a protected national park like cap cod. We shouldn't mess with nature like this. Oh and the most absurd thing is that nyc/nj is not even in major hurricane territory like puerto rico/haiti/dr/carribean/florida ect. They get it WAY worse. NC as well. Hell Cantore and his weather channel hype machine has really hurt tourism in the region. We are a society of panic and hype. Man up nyc/nj residents. Really. People lose power for a week in nyc and you'd think it was the holocaust.

Oh yeah reminds me new orleans. They went and rebuilt the city in the same exact location. Right? Smart move.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Mar 31, 2014 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    we need a wall because freedom
    if 'chu don mine cud you splain this??

This is the stupidest thing iv ever seen. I cant see this actually happening, to expensive + a terrible idea to begin with. If it did happen I would be beyond baffled by the lack of intelligence by the people who make these calls. Id move the second they decide to go through with it. ugh. The fact that this is even being discussed makes me sick

[QUOTE=shark-hunter;227267]Well I guess we don't need your site anymore than micah. LOL! Say goodbye to swellinfo! Oh give me a break with this doomsday nonsense. I'm sorry, but an open ocean with waves is a treasure you can't putput a price tag on. You could easily protect nyc with far less intrusive ways. What's next, putting up a seawall over the entire u.s. so a day playing in the waves for families, a national pastime, is gone? That's disgusting. The coastal shore should be a protected national park like cap cod. We shouldn't mess with nature like this. Oh and the most absurd thing is that nyc/nj is not even in major hurricane territory like puerto rico/haiti/dr/carribean/florida ect. They get it WAY worse. NC as well. Hell Cantore and his weather channel hype machine has really hurt tourism in the region. We are a society of panic and hype. Man up nyc/nj residents. Really. People lose power for a week in nyc and you'd think it was the holocaust.

Oh yeah reminds me new orleans. They went and rebuilt the city in the same exact location. Right? Smart move.[coastE]

NC resident here.. Been through the storms of the 90s & 2000s. I have been saying it for years but our society is becoming more and more detached from nature. We don't live in nature anymore. We live above it. Back in the 90s when we were getting battered down here the community came together. We supported each other. We knew what the risks were and we accepted them out of pure love for the ocean. Over the years more and more people move to the coast with no understanding of what they are actually doing and the risks involved. Then they want to keep pumping sand on the beach to keep a MOVEABLE goddamned sandbar. Little hint folks.. We were never supposed to build on the barrier islands to begin with. Nature is going to kick our ass one day and all these folks are going to be standing around with their mouths open when a true Cat 4 hits our coast.

Images
    [QUOTE=GrindItFine;227297]
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Well I guess we don't need your site anymore than micah. LOL! Say goodbye to swellinfo! Oh give me a break with this doomsday nonsense. I'm sorry, but an open ocean with waves is a treasure you can't putput a price tag on. You could easily protect nyc with far less intrusive ways. What's next, putting up a seawall over the entire u.s. so a day playing in the waves for families, a national pastime, is gone? That's disgusting. The coastal shore should be a protected national park like cap cod. We shouldn't mess with nature like this. Oh and the most absurd thing is that nyc/nj is not even in major hurricane territory like puerto rico/haiti/dr/carribean/florida ect. They get it WAY worse. NC as well. Hell Cantore and his weather channel hype machine has really hurt tourism in the region. We are a society of panic and hype. Man up nyc/nj residents. Really. People lose power for a week in nyc and you'd think it was the holocaust.

Oh yeah reminds me new orleans. They went and rebuilt the city in the same exact location. Right? Smart move.[coastE]

NC resident here.. Been through the storms of the 90s & 2000s. I have been saying it for years but our society is becoming more and more detached from nature. We don't live in nature anymore. We live above it. Back in the 90s when we were getting battered down here the community came together. We supported each other. We knew what the risks were and we accepted them out of pure love for the ocean. Over the years more and more people move to the coast with no understanding of what they are actually doing and the risks involved. Then they want to keep pumping sand on the beach to keep a MOVEABLE goddamned sandbar. Little hint folks.. We were never supposed to build on the barrier islands to begin with. Nature is going to kick our ass one day and all these folks are going to be standing around with their mouths open when a true Cat 4 hits our coast.

Yeah, thats why my dad retired in a house about 4 miles inland from Bethany. He said its only a matter of time before his property become oceanfront... I mean, I can't judge, I live on a small island in the carolinas, but it has been plenty intact for 1000s of years. It did get ripped in half over a century ago, but other than that it has been in pretty good shape. Just bought a house in the highest elevation on the island. Fingers crossed...

But anyway, let a couple of years go by and everyone will stop worrying about it. Its that northern aggression =) Florida and the Carolinas and the Gulf Coast can get wiped off the map every couple of years and the government says, ohh boy, lets send a little relief down there and mention it on CNN....

You have the same thing happen to the NYC metro area, and wow... Houston we have a problem. Now we need to build a force field around the entire tri-state area. I mean, we can't have weather affect our work weeks up here. Its wall street for gosh sake. And stuff like Sandy happens all up and down the coast and it has for years. It was just New Jerseys turn for it. Messed up Delmarva too but not as bad. But its a crap shoot. Charleston got destroyed completely a couple decades ago... Now they have the Washout.

I feel for everybody that got hit by Sandy. Its gonna come my way one of these days. Its gonna come your way one of these days.... Shoot, Baltimore gets flooded and ravaged if a cane makes it way up Chesapeake.

Anyway, long rant over... No use in building walls. No use in Pumping Sand all day... I mean, I get the sand pumping. People pay a lot of money for that real estate, so there is tax money and interest in protecting it. Let them do it all they want. Its like keeping a patient alive with a fatal illness, you can keep pumping drugs into them and doing blood transfusions as long as they can afford it, but one day if the money isn't there, nature takes its course.

This artificial island crap is a joke. It will never happen. Never ever ever.

But on a side note, did you guys hear that they are going to have a human living zone on Mars by 2020??? Seriously, 6 years from now, they plan on inhabiting parts of mars. crazy.... Bet you wont get hurricanes there.

yes yes good good. Turn everywhere in southern newengland into Connecticut. all according to plan

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    if 'chu don mine cud you splain this??
    it was ironic sarcasm

walls dont make freedom, they make cages
    we do everything in murrikah cause of freedom
    war on drugs-freedom
    killing foreigners for oil, I mean freedom
    taxing people and giving corporations tax breaks, because freedumb

That would be a sh!t load of concrete/rocks they would need as a base. Water is 70'-100' deep. How the eff would that work?