LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RIP, Hobie Alter

another early surf legend bites the dust. we all owe him so much for the joy we get from surfing & being on the water.

http://www.surfermag.com/blogs/culture/rip-hobie-alter/

bought and used his products my whole life. all people should influence me the way he did.
    r.i.p. hobie.

Images
    image.jpg

This is me and my bro reaching at 20 kts. Notice the ski goggles.. Yes it's winter sailing in Maine. Stiff breezes.

Hobie Alter has inspired me for a long time. What a legend. Because of his ideas my life is better. Far out.

nice pic, charles. grew up sailing hobie 14s & 18s w/ my dad off the beach here. had some really good times riding waves in the inlets.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    image.jpg

This is me and my bro reaching at 20 kts. Notice the ski goggles.. Yes it's winter sailing in Maine. Stiff breezes.

Hobie Alter has inspired me for a long time. What a legend. Because of his ideas my life is better. Far out.
    That looks like fun. Need to get one of those.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    nice pic, charles. grew up sailing hobie 14s & 18s w/ my dad off the beach here. had some really good times riding waves in the inlets.
    my good friends farther grew up in NJ, he tells me stories of sailing the H 18 in NJ and launching off massive waves. Hobie would approve. I think every surfer should be a sailor and I also think that the Hobie is the best thrill for those speed freak and mother nature junkies also called surfers lol

ha! yea, we got some seriously confused & concerned looks launching through shorebreak more than once. first time i ever came close to dying was when my dad was teaching me how to use the trapeze lines. i'd just unhooked when the mainstays failed & the mast toppled over. i think i was 11 or 12 at the time; it took me a while to be interested in trying that aspect of sailing again.
    i really want to get one myself now that i'm grown up & starting a family. that's definitely something i want to share & pass on to my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    That looks like fun. Need to get one of those.
    they were fun and still are fun and are as much fun now as they were back when he invented 'em...

Images
    THe hobie catamaran is such a versatile and robust cat. The asymmetrical hulls and no need to use dagger boards is my favorite part. In maine i launch from mud flats sometimes and sail through only a few feet of water, then head way out into the blue. I once sailed 16 miles on one tack from york beach maine to hampton beach NH. My bother and I were dual trapezed the whole way. it was life changing im telling you guys catamaran sailing is heroin. once the boat generates speed you bear away from the weather and sail the apparent wind and just absolutely scream!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83SlckPNB44

this is last summer during the FLAT spell. What better way to quench the thirst for speed and water and nature?