LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    I still don't buy it. If it was true, it would be plastered all over here too:
    http://www.volcom.com/news

Which it ain't

Quote Originally Posted by oipaul View Post
    If you had shorted QS when the news first came out, you'd be sitting pretty!
    If you had shorted QS when the news broke you would be eating your hat, they had a great day they were up almost 5 points when the bell rang today. They're within 20% of hitting their 52 wk high. Not the kind of action I'd expect to see when the news is that Kelly's jumpin ship, unless of course it's bogus (which it is, c'mon Slater has something like a 10% stake in QS, maybe more) . . . There is no such thing as negative advertising, only poor spin management.

I've never looked at Quick's balance sheets before today. Kinda looks like a turkey. Posted a loss of 230M in '13, year over year sales of their core brands is down (maybe the popco appeal of surfing is on the decline,hope,hope) and it looks like the only reason they had a positive first quarter is cause they sold Hawk and Mervin (wtf is this), amazingly they turned a profit on the sale too.

Here's a conspiracy for you. There were a bunch of recent stock acquisitions by company officers.neverybody know that Kelli Slayter is a huge practical joker, he pulls this sort of stunt every year. What if this year Quick and Kelly coordinated this stunt so that Quick insiders could pull a fast buck on a 5%. Like Goose said, "2x the volume."

Everybody knows that Kelly pulls a stunt every year. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

I should mention I own a tinfoil hat. Not because I think it protects from funking gubmint transmissions. No, I think it's stylish and makes me look good.

Anybody else miss the Mogambo Guru?

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded.

I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Here's a conspiracy for you. There were a bunch of recent stock acquisitions by company officers.neverybody know that Kelli Slayter is a huge practical joker, he pulls this sort of stunt every year. What if this year Quick and Kelly coordinated this stunt so that Quick insiders could pull a fast buck on a 5%. Like Goose said, "2x the volume."
    And those "insiders" and Kelly would be guilty of insider trading and I think the SEC would have a little something to say about that. I know KS pulls this stuff yearly but this is not like his I'm gonna be a boogie boarder now prank. As others said there are millions at stake here and laws governing stuff like this.

News appears to be true. Good luck to both of them. At least if it doesn't work out Kelly can quit it all whenever he likes and still be set for life. Retire to a nice beach with the family and keep living the dream.

Quik on the other hand is rolling the dice. When this is the positive spin analysts are spitting out:

“We are initiating coverage of Quiksilver, Inc. (ZQK) with a Buy rating and $11 price target. We see the potential for meaningful margin improvement over the next three years as the company transitions from a founder-led organization to a more efficient, global apparel and footwear company.”
    and this is in the Risk Factors section of their most recent 10-Q report

If we are unable to maintain our endorsements by professional athletes, our ability to market and sell our products may be harmed. A valuable element of our marketing strategy has been to obtain endorsements from prominent athletes, which contribute to the authenticity and image of our brands. We believe that this strategy has been an effective means of gaining brand exposure worldwide and creating broad appeal for our products. We cannot be certain that we will be able to maintain our existing relationships with these individuals in the future or that we will be able to attract new athletes to endorse our products.

Our inability to obtain endorsements from professional athletes could adversely affect our ability to market and sell our products,
    resulting in loss of revenues and a loss of profitability.
    His contract was expiring and it was probably time to cut the cord. Kelly was probably getting too expensive for what he was worth. Quik is trying to appeal to the average joe surfer. The 15-25 yr. olds. It's a tough sell trying to market yourself to that age group via product endorsements from someone that's older than many of their parents.

They're interested in quarterly profits not grass roots involvement. The "transitions from a founder-led organization" will be their undoing.

My opinion...it won't be too long before the bean counters insist that quik gear be sold at every Target in America. When approved they'll be firing out resumes the next day.

I think KS's shenanigans are minor compared to the bigger fish.
    anyone pick up Flash Boys? Lewis's new book on the HFT algos is super sick. thats a criminal investigation waiting to happen, software frontrunning and skimming on every trade. The parasite is bigger than the host at this point
    Last edited by MakeItStop; Apr 2, 2014 at 09:19 AM.

Images
    If any of you guys watched Margaret River last night he didn't have any stickers on his boards and no Quiksilver gear from what I could see. At first I thought it was an April fools joke but now I'm convinced it must be real, crazy timing though.

Go on heat review and watch Slater's interview with Pete Mel after his R1 heat--they talk about it and it seems pretty freaking sincere. Kelly even mentioned how it was weird timing, but his contract actually ran out on April 1.

Crazy times.

Quote Originally Posted by oipaul View Post
    Does that mean theres a vacancy? wheres my resume?
    self confidence is good.
    interviewer: do you surf as well as he?
    oipaul: easily.
    interviewer: that settles it. you're hired.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Go on heat review and watch Slater's interview with Pete Mel after his R1 heat--they talk about it and it seems pretty freaking sincere. Kelly even mentioned how it was weird timing, but his contract actually ran out on April 1.

Crazy times.
    Caught this after his loss. He looked like he wanted to cry when he was really talking about it in the beginning.

I think Kelly is a stand up dude, and wish him the best of luck. However, you wont catch me rocking a $100 T-Shirt made with natural products...

Images
    Hopefully he comes out with something totally different from any other surf brand. I wonder if he will eventually build his own team. Regardless it's cool to see him break off and do his own thing, I just hope it doesn't flop.