LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question....

A question....

I go to the beach super early in the AM or right before dark between Memorial Day and Labor Day and just take whatever is out there at the time. A few of my friends have beach passes so that they can get to the beach around the better tides or whenever they get out of bed but bodyboarders unfortunately can't share the surfing beaches here in NY (DOH regulations) so we are put in with the "swimmers".

Lately there have been rip current advisories from the National Weather Service because of the surf heights (waist plus) and wind (onshore), so my buds who get to the beach when the lifeguards are on duty have been whistled out of the water on more than one occassion for being too far from shore (!!!), being too close to the red flags, being too close to the ropes that keep you 100 feet from the jetty, breathing/existing, etc. From what I understand, the lifeguards are also whistling surfers out of the water as well at the surfing beaches for the same reasons.

Is this a common phenomenon in other states, or just in New York where people sue if you fart in their general direction?

I just avoid the beach from 9:00 to 6:00, but I do think that people are entitled to undertake "inherently dangerous activities" if they do so desire without being aggravated every 15 seconds.

I appreciate the beach patrol and the complexities of their job, without them I am sure that there are many people who would have lost their lives but there's a line between the person standing at the shore, ankle deep in whitewater, who has no swimming ability and the person who's in the water year round who's too lazy to get out of bed for a DP.

Thoughts?

here on the gulf coast, at my local break in pensacola, there is a 300 yard section that surfers are not allowed to surf (swimming area) unless, it is before the lfegaurds come on duty (about 10am) or if it is red flag (chest high-ish surf) other than that, they don't really mind if you go i the water.... they'll whistle at you if there is lightning (you're dumb if you do't get out then) but considering the fact that you're tethered to a 6' piece of foam and fiberglass, they really don't worry about you drowning, they just worry about you running over kook tourists that stand in the way, because they are probably from New York, and will sue you for no reason... j/k
    Last edited by ...LostInFlorida; Jul 1, 2008 at 04:57 AM. Reason: typo

ExtremeSpongerChicks Guest

Rips & Rules

Hey there--

We are not really familiar with your area, but it sounds like your guards are a bit overboard/cautious and following established guidelines. I'm an EARLY BIRD but my other half is not so much , so at times we get to the beach around 9:30--a bit later. However, we did have a nice evening sesh on Friday. Anyway, there was a notable (nothing insane) rip in our area (central NJ) this past weekend but our specific guards have been limiting their regulating primarily to the bennies and in-experienced boarders/surfers, which they should because they had to pull someone out of a rip tide last Sunday just about to slam into the jetty (benny BB!!)! Our guards have still been allowing a mix of surfers/BBs in the water at the same time, which I personally have enjoyed...we just respect one another and share the sets. We've met some really classy short and long boarders over the past 2 weeks (probably not even locals). The guards continue to let us shred off of the jetties and it has been super chill. Honestly, I've been more annoyed by the benny/summer teenage BBing crowd--they can be something 'special.' But, all in all, our guards and crowd have been excellent and I/we hope this continues. Hope you can visit soon! Until then, maybe check out a few other local surfing spots to see how the guards are running things...I know it varies greatly in NJ too For instance, the above would not likely happen in Spring Lake.

LMAO to the comment about New Yorkers suing. It's so true.

I don't even want to go to other public breaks and "try out" the lifeguards because a lot of the breaks around here have sandbar issues, and if I travel somewhere and get whistled out of the water for something stupid I am apt to cry . A few of my "secret" breaks have gotten found out as of late, so I will stay where I am for now until I scout out some new, unguarded locations. I have a few private places where I go to play but I have Long Beach right in my backyard. I've also been surfing here for 15 years and I'm oddly attached to the stupid, crowded place.

ECS - don't be so hard on those BB kids. We were all there once, irritating more advanced people and there are always people more advanced than us who find us irritating (well with the exception of the best of the best LOL ). The most unexpected people step in and help us sometimes, and the life saved just might be yours.

I hate waxing philosophical so early in the AM.

I'm from Massachusetts originally. Except for two beaches in the whole state where surfing is allowed (Cisco on Nantucket and Nauset/Coast Guard out on the eastern facing shore of Cape Cod) the lifeguards will not allow anybody to bring any sort of flotation device at all into the water. This includes air mattresses, bodyboards, etc. Of course most Massachusetts beaches don't have any surf anyway. Occasionally if some unusual hurricane swell or something was expected, we used to take air mattresses up to the beach after the lifeguards went off duty at 4pm. I remember once when there was a big storm off of Cape Hatteras that blew swell all the way up north of Cape Cod. We got to the beach around 3:45 pm with our little inflatable mattresses, and there were all sorts of people waiting around with bodyboards and surfboards until the lifeguards went away.

Now I'm living in NC. My local beach, which is about 26 miles of barrier island, has no lifeguards, no surf zones, no nothin' so it's just a big free for all--just the way I like it. I know that some of the other more crowded beaches, like Wrightsville near Wilmington, do have lifeguards and surf zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Spongah View Post
    LMAO to the comment about New Yorkers suing. It's so true.

I don't even want to go to other public breaks and "try out" the lifeguards because a lot of the breaks around here have sandbar issues, and if I travel somewhere and get whistled out of the water for something stupid I am apt to cry . A few of my "secret" breaks have gotten found out as of late, so I will stay where I am for now until I scout out some new, unguarded locations. I have a few private places where I go to play but I have Long Beach right in my backyard. I've also been surfing here for 15 years and I'm oddly attached to the stupid, crowded place.

ECS - don't be so hard on those BB kids. We were all there once, irritating more advanced people and there are always people more advanced than us who find us irritating (well with the exception of the best of the best LOL ). The most unexpected people step in and help us sometimes, and the life saved just might be yours.

I hate waxing philosophical so early in the AM.

Point taken...just hearing F*** this F*** that every other second...it has nothing to do with skill level...it has to do with attitude and behavior. Anyway, happy surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeSpongerChicks View Post
    Point taken...just hearing F*** this F*** that every other second...it has nothing to do with skill level...it has to do with attitude and behavior. Anyway, happy surfing.
    LOL - tell them "hey braddah - f&*% you...how about a little peace in the line-up"...

Women in the line-up are scary, anyway. That should scare them to another state.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    I'm from Massachusetts originally. Except for two beaches in the whole state where surfing is allowed (Cisco on Nantucket and Nauset/Coast Guard out on the eastern facing shore of Cape Cod) the lifeguards will not allow anybody to bring any sort of flotation device at all into the water. This includes air mattresses, bodyboards, etc. Of course most Massachusetts beaches don't have any surf anyway. Occasionally if some unusual hurricane swell or something was expected, we used to take air mattresses up to the beach after the lifeguards went off duty at 4pm. I remember once when there was a big storm off of Cape Hatteras that blew swell all the way up north of Cape Cod. We got to the beach around 3:45 pm with our little inflatable mattresses, and there were all sorts of people waiting around with bodyboards and surfboards until the lifeguards went away.

Now I'm living in NC. My local beach, which is about 26 miles of barrier island, has no lifeguards, no surf zones, no nothin' so it's just a big free for all--just the way I like it. I know that some of the other more crowded beaches, like Wrightsville near Wilmington, do have lifeguards and surf zones.
    Wrightsville is a nice place.

There's no surfing anywhere in Massachusetts? Do they sue more than New Yorkers?

Here's another New York original: if you're caught at the beach before 9:00 without a seasonal beach pass, you'll get a $50 ticket. I had been hearing rumors, but a friend of mine got ticketed this past weekend, so I bought a stupid beach pass today..."just in case".....

Too Funny!, Yet Not

LOL - tell them "hey braddah - f&*% you...how about a little peace in the line-up"...

Women in the line-up are scary, anyway. That should scare them to another state.
    So true, I guess...I just LOVE being an ATHLETE

Wrightsville is a nice place.

There's no surfing anywhere in Massachusetts? Do they sue more than New Yorkers?

Here's another New York original: if you're caught at the beach before 9:00 without a seasonal beach pass, you'll get a $50 ticket. I had been hearing rumors, but a friend of mine got ticketed this past weekend, so I bought a stupid beach pass today..."just in case".....

Yes, Wrightsville is nice but it gets kind of crowded in the summer and parking is tight. And they have enforced surf zones, but I don't know if that applies to bodyboarders or not. I'm about 25 miles north of Wrightsville.

Nope, no surfing in Massachusetts, except for the two spots I mentioned. No surfing, bodyboarding, "boogieboarding", inner-tubing or air mattressing. Don't know about lawsuits, I think it's just that old 'banned in Boston' tradition. Best to go to Rhode Island if you're looking for a New England surf trip. They're a lot less restrictive about the beaches.

Doesn't NJ require those beach passes, too? I remember having to pin one to my bathing suit once in Cape May.

re: sandbar issues...are you saying that the lifeguards won't let you surf if there are sandbars? Hell, if they did that down here nobody'd ever be able to surf again, unless a hurricane came along and rearranged the sandbars, and then it'd be back to the shorebreak it used to be.