LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongah View Post
    LOL - tell them "hey braddah - f&*% you...how about a little peace in the line-up"...

Women in the line-up are scary, anyway. That should scare them to another state.
    Funny you girls mention that.........

New York has amazing surf and some amazing locals (Bobby Baldwin, etc. you know who you are)....however I've never been more dis-respected than in New York...happened even when bodyboarding a good day and even trading decent sized shorebreak at PL right along with Jeff Hubb, best bud Brian S., top East Coasters, world title holders, etc..

I remember it so vividly because this "Guido" looking punk sponger....paddled out-of-his-way towards me to say...."You're not allowed to catch any waves, because you have to be a BULLDOG and you are not!!!"....

Hahahahha...he even turned red in the face too........i'm convinced he does not like Women period....bummer, that's too bad!

Anyway.......I've had so much Harassment in all kinds thrown at me, behind me, in my face, in my back...and all from bodyboarders I thought were cool....which is why the Internet is a bad thing period......etc.....everybody wants control and ultimately make you look stupid......

Wow...that was a rant in itself......

Bottom line, you surf for yourself and nobody else....always!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Justine View Post
    Funny you girls mention that.........

New York has amazing surf and some amazing locals (Bobby Baldwin, etc. you know who you are)....however I've never been more dis-respected than in New York...happened even when bodyboarding a good day and even trading decent sized shorebreak at PL right along with Jeff Hubb, best bud Brian S., top East Coasters, world title holders, etc..

I remember it so vividly because this "Guido" looking punk sponger....paddled out-of-his-way towards me to say...."You're not allowed to catch any waves, because you have to be a BULLDOG and you are not!!!"....

Hahahahha...he even turned red in the face too........i'm convinced he does not like Women period....bummer, that's too bad!

Anyway.......I've had so much Harassment in all kinds thrown at me, behind me, in my face, in my back...and all from bodyboarders I thought were cool....which is why the Internet is a bad thing period......etc.....everybody wants control and ultimately make you look stupid......

Wow...that was a rant in itself......

Bottom line, you surf for yourself and nobody else....always!!!
    Justine, if I ever get the pleasure to meet you in person, I'm going to buy you a hot chocolate. You are so right.

New York surfers/BB can be the biggest pieces of **** out there in the water, and the sad thing is, the majority of them have no clue what they are doing. You mentioned one of our best locals - Bob - and there are a few others out there who really rip and are true watermen/women, but the majority of folks in the water are douchebags. I do my best to stay away from an active, busy lineup because it's nothing but paddling back and forth, jostling for position, people trying to sit deeper than each other, etc. I can have more fun in small shorey or picking up reform waves on an inside sandbar if I am desperate 400 feet away from that than worrying about whether or not someone is going to be on my head on the next peak. 17 years ago when I first started, things weren't this bad - people were much more mellow about women in the lineup as long as you were respectful of the older folks and the locals. Now there is no respect for locals, women and old timers, it's just a free for all. It can really take the fun out of it.

I try to get to the same breaks at sunrise year round, because that's when I see my old buddies out, I can sit in the lineup and share waves, smile and have it returned to me and just surf for myself - like you said. Any other time of the day, I can feel my ulcer aching.

This turned into a major rant. Sorry about that. LOL. I've just been around for so many years and watched the surf community change so much. PL and LW are great places to boog and I've watched them become vermin infested with people who've owned a sponge and fins for a year and suddenly have obtained EXPERT status and a "crew", who can be so rude to people.

Is Roberta still bodyboarding? Can you imagine the **** she has put up with?

Images
    Justine, if I ever get the pleasure to meet you in person, I'm going to buy you a hot chocolate. You are so right.

Now there is no respect for locals, women and old timers, it's just a free for all. It can really take the fun out of it.

PL and LW are great places to boog and I've watched them become vermin infested with people who've owned a sponge and fins for a year and suddenly have obtained EXPERT status and a "crew", who can be so rude to people.

Is Roberta still bodyboarding? Can you imagine the **** she has put up with?

SPONGAH,

Very well put....I try really hard to not let some surfer/bodyboard/longboarder/kneeboarder
    negative attitudes put me down, however sometimes caring and getting hurt only reminds me that I AM THE ONE WITH THE GOOD HEART....because when I do stop caring, that is when I know I need to be HUMBLED....

In retrospect, I actually feel very sorry and pity those who are rude and disgusting towards either me or even some kook...who even I know shouldn't be out there....but, we all have to start somewhere...right???

Roberta Pinhero/Bitzer is absolutely awesome....i love this girl, along with Jason....they BOTH are doing BIG THINGS for our sport....whether it's running the USBA National Tour on the Mainland and beyond....or even how they are now teaching clinics to the Hawaiian groms about lifeguard safety and ocean safety, rules, etc!!!

Back to your question....I'm not sure if Roberta is bodyboarding exactly as much as she used to....maybe I should give her a call....been meaning to anyway!!!
    I'm curious if maybe it's because she has a little one on the way.............?!?!?!?!....

I do know that Roberta is my girl and she has taught me sooo much....she kept me strong when I doubted myself....and she got me to still push myself in big contests such as the JENKS PRO 2006, the NC ABA's, etc........

The problem is that....I'm just not as competitive as I COULD BE/SHOULD BE....because if I had time to Bodyboard 100% I would.....however, I know my education in NURSING SCHOOL is most important right now!!!!
    In a few years, I will be able to do BOTH a career and Bodyboarding

Spongah...I think you should make a trip down South to Maryland/DE.....or maybe even surf NJ/NY together soon!!!

Keep in touch,
    ~Justine

ExtremeSpongerChicks Guest

Thumbs up Awesome !

You know, when we joined this forum/website we never expected to see so many negatives comments/remarks about women, racial slurring, localism, etc. (not that we have always written the most perfect threads!) BUT, overall the experience has been sooo rewarding and we've learned a great deal from Micah's fantastic site and its participants. I don't know any of you above personally, but, I don't need to to know that you are all fantastic people that truly love BBing and life. We both have found something very special in BBing and I know we will never stop shredding. We will never advantage of this sport or take it to a competitive level (believe me if I had the time and it was 1998 instead of 2008 maybe ), but we surely respect anyone that has taken it to that level or that just loves this great sport and being in the ocean. So, without being too overly CHEESY...we are glad to be a little part of this world and that we are getting to know people like yourselves ENJOY the surf coming up...it's looking good!!
    Last edited by ExtremeSpongerChicks; Jul 8, 2008 at 10:30 PM. Reason: bad grammar :)

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeSpongerChicks View Post
    You know, when we joined this forum/website we never expected to see so many negatives comments/remarks about women, racial slurring, localism, etc. (not that we have always written the most perfect threads!) BUT, overall the experience has been sooo rewarding and we've learned a great deal from Micah's fantastic site and its participants. I don't know any of you above personally, but, I don't need to to know that you are all fantastic people that truly love BBing and life. We both have found something very special in BBing and I know we will never stop shredding. We will never advantage of this sport or take it to a competitive level (believe me if I had the time and it was 1998 instead of 2008 maybe ), but we surely respect anyone that has taken it to that level or that just loves this great sport and being in the ocean. So, without being too overly CHEESY...we are glad to be a little part of this world and that we are getting to know people like yourselves ENJOY the surf coming up...it's looking good!!
    I don't know you from a can of paint, but I do know that you have a genuine passion for the ocean and our sport, and I love you guys for it.

Oh, man. We sound like a bunch of weepy broads. Turn on the Lifetime TV and gimme the Bon Bons!!!

Justine -

Nursing school? Oh snap. I'm an RN. You have my sympathies. What year are you in???

I would love to come to DE to sponge. I also would love some tips from you. I'm just back in the water late Winter/early Spring 2007 after being away for 7 years. Things have come along well the past year or so, but I can always use tips from the experts. I feel like it's 1991 and I'm an 18 year old grom again. LOL.

ExtremeSpongerChicks Guest

Lol

LOL...I was having 'a moment' Chuckle...

I don't know you from a can of paint, but I do know that you have a genuine passion for the ocean and our sport, and I love you guys for it.

Oh, man. We sound like a bunch of weepy broads. Turn on the Lifetime TV and gimme the Bon Bons!!!